“Great Location, Great Service, Poor Restaurant!”

Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

A great location and terrific rooms, the Garden Inn is perfect for business or pleasure! The rooms are great! Modern, comfy beds, good showers and very clean! The bar is good although the choice of beers is a bit limited. The staff are great, very friendly and helpful BUT, the restaurant is really poor! Ear out if you stay. Heavily processed food (avoid the lasagne at all costs), luke warm and served with little prude. Didn't have breakfast (despite the reduced price offer) but a colleague said it wasn't up to much! So recommend the stay but book elsewhere to eat!

• Stayed: November 2013
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Charlie H

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay however your comments regarding the food are disappointing.

All of our food is freshly prepared in the kitchen, including the lasagne that is on our bar menu. I am sorry that it was not warm enough and not to your taste.

Our breakfast generally receives great feedback on Tripadvisor and I would recommend trying it for yourself should you return.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Well arrived at the city Cafe restaurant after booking in for the night, ordered a starter of haggis potato and turnip as a starter, main of sirloin steak, ordered as cooked through, which I explained was basically no red meat but before being well done, staff didn't understand the concept and was asked if I wanted it blue!!!!!!

At the beginning of the order I ordered a Kraft of tap water, had to remind staff twice about it, also ordered wine which was uncorked before the starter arrived!

ok not a brilliant start

Starter arrived was presented with a plate with a all spread of turnip topped with a "commercially frozen" potato croquette which was just warm through and hot enough to eat, there was a slice of haggis, which was sliced in half and coated in breadcrumbs, that was ok, but nothing to write home about!

The main arrived was served a steak which was pink in some parts, cooked through in others and almost blue in others, the hand cut chips were so hot and dried out as they had been left under the hot lamp waiting on the steak I think, they were revolting!!!!! called over waitress who apologised and she went to the supervisor, who didn't have the decency to come to my table, even though he was the person who took my order, waitress returned and took my meal and told me she was going to speak to the kitchen, my reply was that I didn't want anything else or the meal replaced as I had been put off by the presented meal.

Small time later the supervisor came over to my table apologised and asked if I wanted anything else, said no and asked him to clear away the remaining sides from the meal etc as he was turning away from my table, needless to say breakfast should be interesting!!!!!

hotel room is a standard Hilton room, had difficulty with my Hilton Elite Gold status which wasn't showing on the system so all in all so far what a poor show Hilton.

Wouldn't recommend so far!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear George G

Thank you for your review.

I have checked your profile and can confirm it is showing as HHonors Silver, not Gold – you may wish to contact HHonors directly regarding this as this is outwith the control of the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, our haggis dish is served as described on the menu and is one of our most popular starters – everything is made fresh in the kitchen including the potato croquette which is not ‘commercially frozen’ as you have claimed.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding your cooking preference for the steak, our interpretation of steak with no red meat is well done. I fully appreciate your frustration that we did not cook it to your liking at the first time of asking and it regretful that you declined the offer for the dish to be re-cooked.

What has not been mentioned in the review is that the reviewer was not charged for the meal.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

On arrival I informed the reception was pregnant and if possible to receive a room asap; due to my condition. The answer was NO and was just told to wait as everyone at the bar. First Impression was really poor.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Mirta Mrs P
Thank you for your review.

I am aware that my reception manager has contacted you directly regarding your experience when you arrived.

Although you arrived 2 hours before our check-in time we should have tried to get you into your room as soon as possible.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Finding a good hotel can be difficult, so once we had discovered the Hilton Garden Inn we decided we should stick to it. 3 nights this time and the service, room and food were all excellent. The staff at the desk are always pleasant and helpful. Standby upgrades are a great idea, but the standard rooms front or back are fine, simple, clean and well-equipped. Just make sure the heating works in room 540 if you are there in winter!

Dear CalEsteve

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you chose to stay with us again and rate your stay 5/5.

My property manager will have a look at the air conditioning in room 540 to ensure it working correctly, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in the Hilton, which is right next to the SECC, SSE Hydro and the Glasgow Science Centre, and about a 20 minute walk to the city centre (we're pretty slow walkers though). Checking in was easy, the receptionist was very cheery and welcoming. The room was facing the restaurant across the road (we recommend the 2 course lunch at the Italian) and was compact but well laid out. It had a shower room rather than a bathroom, a great TV, plenty of storage, really comfy bed and a very handy fridge. The TV was first class - it was an Apple iMac, complete with keyboard and mouse in the desk drawer. Very useful. Breakfast was excellent apart from the apple juice which was diluted to the point of being coloured water (disappointing!) We also had dinner one night, which was fantastic. The service was excellent, the staff were all friendly and welcoming and we wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

Dear Fiferover94

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that our location was ideal for you and that you enjoyed your dinner in our restaurant.

The issue with your apple juice will be investigated.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Location was perfect; a 2min walk from the Hydro in Glasgow- great for pain relief of being on our feet all night! Our room was pleasant, clean and tidy. Facilities provided in our room were excellent. Staff were respectable when we needed them. Bar was a little pricey. Breakfast was brilliant and overall, we had a great stay.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Shannon M

Thank you for your review and scoring of 5/5!

Our location beside the Hydro is ideal, it is also pleasing to read how much you enjoyed breakfast.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel wasclose to the city centre, SECC and next door to some great music venues. The staff were excellent always helpful and polite. The rooms were smallish but perfectly adequate with all the extras you would expect from a Hilton Hotel. I would stay here again when visiting Glasgow.

Room Tip: Have a room with views of The Clyde