“The Scottish Glogetrotters”

Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel does NOT represent value for money. The rooms are clean but small with a tiny bathroom. The food was mediocre and the dining area at breakfast was similar in experience to eating in a works canteen. The one good feature is the proximity to the Hydro.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear ian f

Thank you for your review.

Your comments are obviously disappointing and I have contacted you directly for specific feedback.

The majority of reviews compliment the standard of food served in our restaurant due to our policy of sourcing quality ingredients that are freshly cooked to order.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

We did pay a high rice for our stay as the hotel was very busy this weekend but the wine incident spoil t our stay completely as we both suffered sickness and distress and could not enjoy the meal we had booked in the nearby restaurant that night , I did not make a big fuss about this at the time to your Bar Manager but I think he should have took my complaint a bit more serious although he was busy at the time , but we where only offered a free drink ?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Andrew B

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry that you were unwell during your stay, as discussed on the evening and in direct correspondence to you the wine was not corked as claimed.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst visiting a friend. After getting my room key I did bump into a pilot in the lift. Nice touch I thought! The room was lovely and clean and when I discovered the remote for the Mac didn't work it was replaced asap. Breakfast was good with a nice view of the river. You can walk to the city centre, it takes about 15 mins and they do have a bus that stops outside the hotel. I just prefer to explore by foot. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear mollymermaid

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you found our clientele to your satisfaction!

Our floor to ceiling windows in the restaurant allow a fantastic back-drop when dining at breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel recently whilst away with work. It's a great location for places such as the new Hydro and the SECC. The rooms, whilst a touch on the small side, were comfy and had everything that I needed for my stay. The breakfast was buffet style and had an excellent variety with plenty of things on offer. Overall, a pleasant stay and a hotel that I would definitely use again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear simonc22

Thank you for your review and scoring of 5/5.

Your kind comments are very welcome and thank you for highlighting how much you enjoyed breakfast and that you will definitely stay with us again.

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

A great location and terrific rooms, the Garden Inn is perfect for business or pleasure! The rooms are great! Modern, comfy beds, good showers and very clean! The bar is good although the choice of beers is a bit limited. The staff are great, very friendly and helpful BUT, the restaurant is really poor! Ear out if you stay. Heavily processed food (avoid the lasagne at all costs), luke warm and served with little prude. Didn't have breakfast (despite the reduced price offer) but a colleague said it wasn't up to much! So recommend the stay but book elsewhere to eat!

• Stayed: November 2013
GlasgowOpsManager, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Glasgow City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Charlie H

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay however your comments regarding the food are disappointing.

All of our food is freshly prepared in the kitchen, including the lasagne that is on our bar menu. I am sorry that it was not warm enough and not to your taste.

Our breakfast generally receives great feedback on Tripadvisor and I would recommend trying it for yourself should you return.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Well arrived at the city Cafe restaurant after booking in for the night, ordered a starter of haggis potato and turnip as a starter, main of sirloin steak, ordered as cooked through, which I explained was basically no red meat but before being well done, staff didn't understand the concept and was asked if I wanted it blue!!!!!!

At the beginning of the order I ordered a Kraft of tap water, had to remind staff twice about it, also ordered wine which was uncorked before the starter arrived!

ok not a brilliant start

Starter arrived was presented with a plate with a all spread of turnip topped with a "commercially frozen" potato croquette which was just warm through and hot enough to eat, there was a slice of haggis, which was sliced in half and coated in breadcrumbs, that was ok, but nothing to write home about!

The main arrived was served a steak which was pink in some parts, cooked through in others and almost blue in others, the hand cut chips were so hot and dried out as they had been left under the hot lamp waiting on the steak I think, they were revolting!!!!! called over waitress who apologised and she went to the supervisor, who didn't have the decency to come to my table, even though he was the person who took my order, waitress returned and took my meal and told me she was going to speak to the kitchen, my reply was that I didn't want anything else or the meal replaced as I had been put off by the presented meal.

Small time later the supervisor came over to my table apologised and asked if I wanted anything else, said no and asked him to clear away the remaining sides from the meal etc as he was turning away from my table, needless to say breakfast should be interesting!!!!!

hotel room is a standard Hilton room, had difficulty with my Hilton Elite Gold status which wasn't showing on the system so all in all so far what a poor show Hilton.

Wouldn't recommend so far!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear George G

Thank you for your review.

I have checked your profile and can confirm it is showing as HHonors Silver, not Gold – you may wish to contact HHonors directly regarding this as this is outwith the control of the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal, our haggis dish is served as described on the menu and is one of our most popular starters – everything is made fresh in the kitchen including the potato croquette which is not ‘commercially frozen’ as you have claimed.

Please accept my apologies for the confusion regarding your cooking preference for the steak, our interpretation of steak with no red meat is well done. I fully appreciate your frustration that we did not cook it to your liking at the first time of asking and it regretful that you declined the offer for the dish to be re-cooked.

What has not been mentioned in the review is that the reviewer was not charged for the meal.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

On arrival I informed the reception was pregnant and if possible to receive a room asap; due to my condition. The answer was NO and was just told to wait as everyone at the bar. First Impression was really poor.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mirta Mrs P
Thank you for your review.

I am aware that my reception manager has contacted you directly regarding your experience when you arrived.

Although you arrived 2 hours before our check-in time we should have tried to get you into your room as soon as possible.