“ok..”

Merchant City Inn
Ranked #84 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
“ok..”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

we came to stay here as we where on a night out in glasgow. cheap and location was perfect.
when we walked into the hotel there was ovb work getting done mirrior lying about.
reception- we where greeted lovely and spoken to politly. we where told room key gets handed in when u go out and collect when back 24hr reception. at the time I never thought about the safety of ur stuff. but surely they wouldnt go sniffing ur knickers eh haha.
so we where told where our room was outside up the stairs.. witch suited us better coz we smoked.. later on that night we where out having a fag and drilling was going on at the back of 8!!! really.

we booked a double in our room was a dohble and single bed so that was good big space rooms. shower could be more powerfull.

breakfast!!! we booked thro booking.com and paid for a breakfast! hungover ur in need of a fry up to be told by the most grumpes chef that we need to go all the way back to reception to pay another 2 pound to have a fry up!! apart from the few ants in our room its was ok. if u looking for a nights stay for nught out stag hen ur sorted. def not a romantic hotel away.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jodie B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Indonesian first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel with hotel.com using the app on my iPad. Booked for the 10/5/14 was I got my confirmation email it said the 17/5/14. I called hotel.com and then the hotel. The hotel would not change the booking or refund my money. Manager put the phone down on me after the second time I called. RUDE!

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank scottishlasie

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

London, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Left this place feeling diseased and depressed after a hellish night. Varnish and paint fumes induced a sore throat and headache, non-working shower which the receptionist couldn't care less about, filthy towels with disturbing brown stains and not a wink of sleep from the thumping base and screeching revelers at the night club across the street - unabated by the flimsy windows. On leaving (escaping) my room in the morning I was greeted by a strange man in his pants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Nan G
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

well i stay here as part of a stag party ... there was problems with the booking from the start it was cancel with out us been told ... the price that it was booked at was changes a couple of time was give a stroy about a mebmer of stay no longer works there and told the wrong price ... the rooms where ok ( cant say anthing bad get what we paid for)

for breakfast the cook get the ticket off you and said sit down or get some fuirt and come back to him in 10 minutes when you will be ready for you ... that was said kinda rude like if he was having a bad day lol ...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank wilson2244
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel at the weekend but by gosh it was terrible..... staff un friendly.... payed when I arrived with cash.... BUT still toke it out my bank account..... had a complete fight with both manager n receptionest!!!! Sooooo nasty..... not wanting to listen..... still not received my money back!!!!! Breakfast was a shambles cheep food......... not happy at all!!! Never be back!!!!! Bedroom floor was so dirty my new white socks where black!!!!!!! Waste of money!!!!!!!! TOTAL LET DOWN!!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Nikki M
London
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

From the photo it looked charming - a historic building with a tower - on the edge if the merchant's city. A bit odd arriving in a deserted back street with the picture suggesting something far different from reality. Having got past the wheelie bins to the front door past the decorator (at least they are making a superficial effort with a can of paint) headed into the bleak reception stinking of paint yet with flimsy fittings and worn threw carpet this is not a cosy Glasgow inn.
I was a little surprised they demanded full payment for the two nights I was due to stay but paid even though it is extremely expensive, and was given a key to a room on the top floor. Told breakfast stops at 8.45.
No lift but spiral stair up the tower could be a feature (if the whole place was not so shabby).
Room at least had beds but rest of fittings are appallingly bad. Room again smell of paint and grouting - fair enough bathroom had recently been done but the cheapest you can possibly get and what is that black stuff hanging from the shower head?
Should have immediately checked out then but then location is OK so did not - big mistake!
Headed out to explore - well first challenge how do I lock the flimsy door to the room? Not even a Yale lock (and not chain) - all you have is a bedroom door lock - to lock you turn the little nob in the middle of the door handle. Zero security - even if it is locked though the bedroom doors are just that plywood home bedroom doors. If anyone wants into your room the door let alone the lock is not going to stop you. Still had nothing valuable with me. Just as well as even the front door ( not visible to reception seems permanently open!
After exploring Glasgow back for early night (after early start) and went to bed. Smell of paint/grout irritating and beginning of a headache. But started to drift off and THUMP THUMP THUMP... Low and behold it is right opposite a club and with no sound proofing on the rattlely sach window till the early hours of the morning you get the thud of base and the shrieks of people in the street outside the club.
Finally quiet got to sleep - not surprisingly with a 8.45 finish missed breakfast!
So enough is enough - weary and paint induced headache went to check out and found out why they had taken full payment when I checked it. The guy in reception - who I though was the manager when I checked in refuse to refund me even the night I wasn't going to stay. Apparently the manager had just left and would not be back for a while and only he could give a refund. After a lot of pointless argument I left and now wait to see if I get contacted and a refund! I suspect not and so I urge to DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE!!!!
I went to the Jury Inn not far round the corner - no character but cheaper, the staff are friendly, the rooms secure, quiet and comfortable - even had a view over the Clyde!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Doctor1000
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Booked this room for a gig the orb on Saturday night in Glasgow great location for shops and city night life no lift and we were on the 4th floor out of puff even for a 45 year old the room itself was ok tv towels tea coffee,hairdryer, etc had to load tv as it didn't work when 1st put on no probs easy to do ,had to leave key at reception ever time you leave hotel ,the cold water tap runned hot sometimes so couldn't get a cuppa in the room,the guys were friendly on reception recently taken over the hotel and in the process of up grading rooms which it needs ,morning time great cooked breakfast and the chief was very friendly what a great guy he freshly prepared food and eggs /black pudding cooked to order notning to much trouble for him ,not going to mention noise from guests on floor or street as this is normal for any city centre hotel,great bed good night sleep in it ,ok ,

Room Tip: try floor 1 as theres no lift in hotel,