“Unfriendly and unhelpful”
Review of Merchant City Inn

Merchant City Inn
Ranked #86 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Prior to arrival I had to email 3x and finally call to get a response to an inquiry.

On arrival check in staff were very unwelcoming. There was an issue with their online booking system which was entirely their fault and they did nothing to rectify it beyond charging me an additional fee for something which was not at all my fault.

Room was fine. Bathroom soap dispenser would have looked more appropriate in a public toilet. very ugly.

Breakfast was basic and the chef was on the grumpy side.

I would not stay here again. It ended up more expensive than other local options and I did not enjoy the whole experience.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank slpb

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The facilities were standard but the room was very clean. We were on the 4th floor but with there being no lift only a spiral staircase we will ask for a lower floor if we return to this hotel. The cooked breakfast was very good and we're glad we took this option as the continental breakfast selection was very limited.

We read other reviews which mentioned noise from a nearby nightclub but we didn't find it obtrusive.

Room Tip: As there is no lift I would receommend a lower floor room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

A very nice stay. The service is good, like the breakfast.
The room and the bathroom were clean. The room was spacious.
It is very well located to visit Glasgow. There are some pubs close to the hostel : that's a positiv point but a negativ one too : there were some noise in the late evening, as we were at the first floor, at the level of the road.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied with my stay and the service offered.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel is really nice, right in the city centre. The staff is nice and kind.
The room was clean and comfortable. We had a great sleep!
The breakfast was great, with a lot of choose.
I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eleonora A
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I can understand the mix reviews. The hotel is in an old building in the middle of a city. Yes there is a massive spiral staircase through centre of building, I thought it gave character and the young bloke on reception carried my bag to my room so no effort there. We were on the first floor, may have been different story if we were higher up and the man wasn't about. The room we had was basic and I didn't fancy using the shower, but the room was clean and I had no issue with the bedding (and I am a bit particular). We were just there for one night and only in room long enough to sleep, but did venture down for breakfast and was pleasantly surprised. As a place to sleep cheaply in centre of city it suited us but I would may a bit more somewhere else if going for a long weekend.

Room Tip: If you have 1st floor it's easier to access but risk more noise from nightclub opposite on weeke...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed in the Merchant City Inn for 1 night whilst we were visiting Glasgow for the commonwealth games.
I was really worried about going after reading the reviews on here but i was pleasently surprised.
I booked the room last October once i knew we had tickets for the games and had no problems at all with my reservation.
The hotel is very central just off the main shopping street, it was a little noisy on the night as a night club is near by and it was a Friday night, i was however expecting this after reading other reviews so i took my ear plugs and slept fine.
All the staff were helpful and polite, breakfast was great everything you would expect hot and cold buffet.

Overall good stay, dont expect 5* as you will be disppointed, room very clean and had everything we needed.

Would be happy to visit again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xxamziexx
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Recently stayed here on a business trip during the Commonwealth Games. Handily situated near George's Square & reasonably close to Queen Street station. On arrival I was greeted by 2 friendly staff on reception however neither offered to take my bags up the winding staircase. I had a double room which was quite small, it was clean but had a strange smell.

Overall if I was visiting Glasgow again I wouldn't search this hotel out for a room, just ok but overpriced for what it is.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business