“You must be joking”

Barras Weekend Market
Ranked #274 of 338 things to do in Glasgow
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Many years ago teh Barras was the place to go, full of real characters and occassional bargains. It was exciting and great. Today is is absoluitely rubbish with loads of the usual typical clothes stalls all selling tha same stuff as it all comes from the same supplier in asia , there are no characters and there is no character. Its now place for junk.

Gone are the good days, time to shut the place down

5  Thank Dod1904
in 2 reviews
"pub"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 8 July 2009

I was at the Barras Market in June '09 and it is busier now then it has been for a while. The Market it's self has more stallholders and people coming in for week-ends to clear out there clothing/household ware/furniture etc. My family are going to start going down every month now it was only from time to time we went there but would recommend it to anybody now. Spoke to some of the stallholders and they said yes you do get the police down taking the illegad DVD/Cigarette Guys away. Hurray for the police. A while back when the family was down a wee old lady and a child was knocked down by the illegal traders on the main street. That's why the police is good for the Market. Lets you walk about in peace.

1  Thank Spaniel0
Reviewed 16 March 2009

To see is to believe, grt atmosphere friendly people which reflects Glasgow itself. Forget Buchanan Street get down here and have a good old rumage

Reviewed 9 February 2009

My sister and I had the oppertunity to experiance the Barras while we were on a holiday to Scotland in 2005. It was alot of fun. The vendors were informitive and helpful. They gave us advice on other sight-seeing excursions.
I bought a pair of sandles there, that were so wonderful, that the next summer I asked my friend, who lives in Glasgow to go get me two more pair and ship them to me here in the States. My sister bought a set of China,, and I also bought an old jam pot for 10 pounds,,,which I had an even funnier time bring back on the planes. Couldn't check it, it was too big.
I can't wait to take my husband to experiance all the fun I had.
Great thing to do on a rainy weekend,,,

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Where do i start with the barras market? It is located in the heart of glasgows east end and is seen by locals as an institution. On the weekends the market lanes are busling with bargain hunters and the patter of the traders can be heard ringing through the streets. It has an almost magical atmosphere. Never have I seen such a variety of goods for sale in the same place. Upon talking to many of the traders I'm told there are fears for the barras closing for flats to be built in there place, I'm astonished that this might be a possibility! It seems such a huge part of glasgow that it would be a travesty if it were to be abolished, especially as the ballroom brings many top bands to the city. the best find for me was the sweetie stall. I sauntered round the corner past a stall full of top quality leather belts and associated goods and seem a crowd of people all gathered round a stall, as i got closer i couldnt belive my eyes! Theres rows and rows of jars of old fashioned sweets, tablet macaroon, chelsea whoppers, spanish gold, lucky tatties! Sweets i havent had since a wee girl and didnt know existed anymore! Needless to say i bought as much as i could carry, only then to be told by the cheery staff that they're online, and i could order sweets from their website and they would post them out to me! who would have guessed? all the sweets are origional brands and taste just as i remember. If your in the glasgow area you must visit the barras and this stall in particular, you will not be dissapointed! you can also view the website online www.thesweetiestall.com It also has on the links page other stalls from the barras web pages. definatly worth a look!

7  Thank chocmad_1986