“Very unpleasant”
Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #80 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This is possibly the worst hotel I have stayed in. The check in clerk was patronising and totally lacked customer service, especially being in the hospitality business. The room assigned to me had very poor housekeeping especially the bathroom, which had mould around the shower & the floor looked dirty. The television was not properly working and after complaining I was very reluctantly moved to another room, where the TV worked. However, I was moved into a twin room from a double and the bed was of very poor quality with the bed sheet barely fitting,, with no mattress proctector. Needless to say that I had a backache by the morning. The bathroom in this room was even worse, with dirty walls, mould in the shower, paint on the bathroom shelf chipped. In the morning I discovered clean towels left on the floor outside my bedroom, a floor where people walk with dirty shoes. I was booked for 2 nights, but I checked out the next morning, never to return again!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 June 2012

This establishment was the worst hotel experience my wife and I have ever had.The bathroom was dirty, with mould around the shower tray,the paintwork on the wooden shelf above the washbasin was so old & worn you can see the wood through it.There are cracks in the woodwork surrounding the door and the skirting boards are filthy. In the bedroom there are stains of several sorts on the walls and carpet. One of the electrical sockets is hanging off the wall, held by one screw.
Our daughter had a separate room which we had to get changed because from the first night she was bitten all over by BEDBUGS ! The food was of poor quality and not at all as advertised, and out of our 3 night the room was only serviced once. My wife accidently skinned her elbow (on our way back to the ' hotel' )but our request at reception for a plaster so as not to get blood on the bed linen was met by an empty First Aid box, which I am sure is illegal, and no plasters whatsoever could be found by the night porter. In fact, when I showed him the photo I had taken of the wall socket his reply was 'I wouldn't stay there'.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Anywhere !
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dikus
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights from Friday 1 June and it was awful. The full Scottish breakfast was far from full and not very Scottish. My daughter had a separate room from us and she woke up covered in bites. They gave her another room stating the room wasn't clean because they were short staffed. They shouldn't take bookings if they can't look after guests properly.
The room was very small, basic and decrepit. The location was not very good because of the steep hills to get down the the centre of the city.
The bathroom was filthy with mould, cracked and worn out paintwork and there was an electric socket hanging off the wall in the bedroom.
I cut my arm and they didn't have a plaster, in fact, the first aid box was empty.
Steer well clear of this place, it's awful and I would not recommend this dump to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Loudot79
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while I was in Glasgow for a show! I like it while I stayed there but now that I'm home, my skin has been inching, i have bites everywhere and yes I have BED BUGS. Didn't know what it was at first but after spending 5h on my laptop researching it and now reading other people got it here at the same time!
THIS IS HORRIBLE!!! Shut it down.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 110whatever
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The title says it all - this is for sure a budget hotel, no frills but clean room and excellent location, apart from the steep hills leading to hotel.

I booked a single ensuite, and that is what I got - clean and tidy - but no soap at all in toilet or shower area. TV in room with freeview box - not satellite ! Broadband available at no charge worked well.

I had read reviews especially relating to security and reception. Every time I visited reception, when leaving or entering the hotel, the reception had someone there, however its not in the best of locations and easily bypassed, so I can understand why there may have been issues before.

Excellent little seated area outside front of hotel but due to concentration of buildings around there is not any view to appreciate - unless you have a fetish for dentistry (dental hospital across road)

By far the best point is the location, handy for bars, clubs, shops in and around Sauchiehall St and close to West End area of Glasgow.

Breakfast served close by to reception area and was fine, various choices available.

Room Tip: My room was 50 - single facing front right in to dental hospital laboratories - On the first floor a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This place is filthy. The shower was disgusting, there was a chest freezer outside our room door, which staff came down to for breakfast food at 6 am. not bothering to be quiet or try to keep the noise down, but shouting back and forth to remind one another of forgotten items!!!
When u was woken up in the morning I realised that I had bites all over my body...THIS PLACE HAS BED BUGS!!!
For £50 a night, I don't expect the Hilton, but I do expect a clean quiet place for a night's sleep.
Avoid.
( I will post pictures as soon as I get home )

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked this hotel for its convenient location for a gig in Glasgows ABC and for the price - it was £50 for myself and my boyfriend for a double room for one night. on arrival it had the feel of a hotel abroad, with the hideous blue holiday and wooden floors, but we weren't complaining - we weren't planning on spending much time in the room. The room was a good size. The receptionist asked us to leave our room key with them whenever we were leaving the hotel... That wasn't going to happen! We'd read reviews on trip adviser stating not to leave valuables - so we kept the key with us. On return from the gig at around 1am we were happy to have a bed to fall down on - only to be woken up numerous times throughout the night with the noisy staff and the fact that due to just having thin sheets on the bed we had to cover ourselves in bath towels to stop from freezing! From 6am onwards it was impossible to sleep as the kitchen were preparing for breakfast and the staff were laughing and chatting really loudly outside our room door while hurling things in and out of the freezer chained up outside our door. We did open the door and ask them to please keep the noise down but it didn't make any difference. we will never stay in this hotel again and would discourage any one else from doing so unless you want to pay out for half a nights sleep!!

• Stayed: May 2012