“Could have been a lot worse (possibly)”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #77 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Could have been a lot worse (possibly)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

Just back from a one night stay at Victorian House. Was supposed to be £39 but internet price is £35 (even though I actually telephoned to book rooms). First of all if you intend driving here, it is a hit or miss whether you get your car parked. The street is one way and parking is kinda restricted. YOu will be given parking scratch cards from the Receptionist for £2 each (I think each card covers you for about 6 hours).

On arrival to be honest the part of Renfrew Street the Hotel is situated looked so run down. On entering however it was nicely set out and we were booked in very quickly.

We had booked two single rooms. On entering my room there was a strong smell of sewage (drains were being repaired apparently). The room itself was spacious, plenty of cupboard and storage space, hairdryer and if required, the use of an iron and board were available.

Now I am not in anyway a fussy person. If its clean then I will sleep pretty much anywhere. On closer inspection, my bed sheet appeared to have blood splattering, my towels were filthy and the main lightbulb to the room had gone. I did report this to Reception and the sheet was changed (albeit ripped), towels were replaced (old ones left in bathroom) but I never mentioned the lightbulb.

Please also be aware that the walls are paper thin. I'd like to thank the couple in room 8 for entertaining me with their lovely headboard routine at 1.30 am. It was a whole 2 mins I will never forget!!!!

The breakfast was fantastic. They seemed to have that side of things well organised and there was plenty to choose from both hot and cold.

In fairness this is a nice little hotel but I do hope that improvements in regards to the housekeeping side of things can be made soon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness could be improved
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank oOo_Dee_oOo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2008

myself and my friend stayed here on hogmanay as a way of avoiding taxi ques etc.

I was very pleased with the room, it was a twin spacious room that was clean and well presented.

Breakfast was great, continental and cooked selection.

Location wise...perfect for shopping in sauchiehall st and easy access for all around glasgow city centre.

Yes parking is a bit of a nightmare but I didnt have any problems locating a space.

Its a typical budget bed and breakfast and i would stay here again!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank hoopylass
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2008

Do not stay here. We were so excited to stay somewhere nice while we were traveling through Glasgow. Staying at The Victorian was a terrible let down.

Considering the price, location and description of the hotel, we expected a place that at least had the room cleaned. In our room, there was dirt on the walls, more behind the doors, obviously cleaning around the door, not the entire wall. There was hair in the sink, the carpet was disgusting. The temperature of the room was freezing.

It's a large place with over 40 or so rooms, and for everyone to eat breakfast on a weekday, they give simply an hour, if that. Which is a VERY small amount of time for everyone to eat, creating the breakfast room to be loud, like a cafeteria. Even when we did try to eat breakfast, half the food that they were advertising on a large sign was not there, because it had not been shipped that day. Which is fine, by why advertise it on the board? In the end, the breakfast was nothing to write home about and for the record, their coffee is rubbish.

When we checked-in reception was kind and polite, but later on when we asked about where shops were, they couldn't help us. Simply because the person did not know the area. I could see that they were not trained to run reception correctly, if they couldn't even figure out a way to FIND where the shops were. I would pass this place off as a hostel. But not even close to being a hotel. It was much too expensive for the terrible experience we had.

• Liked — When we left.
  • Disliked — The cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank catriona25

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights last week and can honestly say that it has been my worst experience ever! The first night was not so bad...I enjoyed the breakfast, so I asked the company that I worked for to book me in for a second night. This was before I noticed the two bites on my leg. I arrived back at the hotel the following night to find that one side of the hotel had caught fire, due to an electrical fault! I found this information out from one of the firemen, as none of the hotel staff were anywhere to be found. I sat outside the hotel, in the cold, with a few of the other guests for an hour and a half before deciding to make our own way to a local cafe to keep warm. When I arrived back to the hotel I was told that I would be staying in the same room that I had stayed in the night before. I made my way to the room and was a little concerned to find that the room reeked of smoke, however there had been a fire, so what did I expect?! I put my bags down and went to sleep. I was alarmed to wake up at three in the morning to find myself in complete darkness, knowing full well that I had fallen asleep with the bedside light on. My first emotion was panic. I tried all of the lights & the TV but none worked. I used the light from my mobile phone to navigate my way out of the room and into the hallway, which was also in complete darkness & silence. I was terrified. The smell of smoke was much stronger & I'd assumed that the building had been evacuated during the night. I called out, and got no reply. I made my way down the steps and into the corridor to the other side of the hotel where there appeared to be light. Here I found various members of the hotel staff stood around. I asked what was going on and was told that they had been advised to turn the electricity off by the fire service. They also told me that they would not be serving breakfast (fully understandable). I had to be up at seven to make a 400 mile journey and need all the sleep that I could get, so I reluctantly went back to bed. When I woke up at 6.30am there was still no electricity. Again I went down to reception to find out what was happening, where I found a queue of guests. I waited my turn, by which time I had become very frustrated. I asked the manager what I was supposed to do for a shower, she told me that there were public showers on every floor, however she did not tell me about the state of them. I wouldn't have washed a dog in there let alone my own skin, regardless of the four more bite I had acquired during the night. I asked the manager for compensation because of my ordeal & was offered free parking (£4) I felt that this was an insult and told her so. I was then told by the manager that she would process my claim for compensation the following day, as she had no cash on the premises. This I understood and asked here to confirm that she would deal with my request in writing. Whilst writing the letter, I was told in the managers exact words that "I’m not being funny but...nobody else has been as upset as you, or complained as much!!" nothing like a good bit of customer service hey!! I took the letter and walked out as I was too tired to argue. On my way home I noticed a few more lumps & bites that were starting to itch. NOT A GOOD THING WHILST DRIVING ON THE M6! Over the course of the weekend the number of bites I have has quadrupled! I took myself to a late night pharmacist last night who told me that I have a case of Body Lice! He would stand too close to me gave me insecticide & itch cream and advised me to boil wash the clothing that I had taken (bye bye, £150 wool coat!) He then told me to get an emergency appointment with my GP to have the attack confirmed. I ran the hotel last night and was told by the member of staff that he had heard that they'd got Bed Bugs and that I should call and speak to management in the morning. I called and spoke to management this morning who told me that they had not yet dealt with my claim for compensation as they she had been busy (after telling me she'd deal with it the following day!) I then explained the bite situation and she told me that they didn't have bed bugs and that even if they did, bed bugs didn't spread! The cheek! I have contacted the environmental health & a solicitor as I don't think the hotel is in fit condition (electrical faults & body lice/bed bugs) and the management staff is clearly not in a position to accept fault or remedy the situation they have. STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank frequentguester
Vancouver, B.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2007

The only real good thing I can say about this is the size of the room was really nice. The location for us wasn't the greatest. It took us 20 minutes to find a parking spot within 3 blocks. And that's where it had to stay. This place would be very difficult for older people as there are many stairs to climb before you even get to the front door. Once you are inside there is still several flights to climb, depending on where your room is. This place has a lot more rooms than I thought, so the English breakfast was more like cafeteria style. You're better to stick to the continental side of the breakfast. This place is also located close to some clubs, so if you're on the front side of the hotel, it can be very noisy with all the patrons of the clubs carrying on in the street.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Sadey4
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

I really liked staying at this hotel. After reading the reviews from this site, I was really confused. Some hated it and some loved it. Well I kind of understand them both.
My room was small, the design was out of date, I didn’t have my own bathroom, it didn’t have an elevator, it had a really strange air-refreshener-thingy and it had bumps in the floor.
Although this was my safe home staying alone in Glasgow for a couple of days, and I really felt safe. Everything was neat and clean, the staff was friendly (when I opened in a friendly tone), the breakfast was good, the bathrooms were clean and never occupied, and it all felt friendly to me. And that is important travelling alone.

The best thing in this short holiday must have been the visit I had in Glasgow School of Art. I’m suddenly so very much in love with the work of C. R. Mackintosh. I accidentally stumbled over the school. This guesthouse is 1 minutes walk from the school wich is C.R.M’s biggest gem! So if you’re interested in design and art this is a really good location as well!

I will go back, and I will stay here again. Not cause its excellent, but because I know what I get, and the location is really convenient!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The interior design
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2007

One of the better value accommodations in Glasgow, this is an olds style boarding house/hotel. I have stayed here on a few occasions and rooms are a little hit and miss. Basement family rooms are very nice and most other rooms are a reasonable size, but some are a little shabby. Those who like mountain climbing may wish to book a room on the top floor, but I was out of breath having carried my bag up there.

Rooms have TV, on suite rooms are available but remember to bring your own shampoo and toiletries - this is Glasgow so don't expect ANY extras or frills.

Breakfast is reasonable, but the kitchen closes 8.45am sharp, so if you want to eat, don't turn over for any extra five minutes after your alarm.

Staff is generally friendly, and the overall experience is reasonable and good value for Glasgow.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — some shabby rooms, stairs to top floor
Stayed April 2007, travelled on business