“Ignore bad reviews” 4 of 5 bubbles

Victorian House
Ranked #77 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Ignore bad reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Like just said ignore bad reviews yes this is not the ritz but neither was the price people that have put a bad review should put up (there cash) or shut up as for £104 for two people staying two nights at the weekend including an amazing breakfast you cant beat that.!!!

The hotel is exactly what u would hope for in a budget it has very friendly staff that are on hand 24/7 the room is clean with all the usuals tv hairdryer iron etc beds are amazingly comfy just a pitty was only a twin room left when we booked. The food as I said was amazing full scottish breakfast cooked and served by a very friendly chef. Check in and out was effortless and let us leave our bags for some last minute shoppin. Location parallel street to sauchiehall street if you know glasgow you will know thats central and perfect for pubs and clubs although close still far enough to be quiet at night.

Would fully recomend this hotel had great weekend and thanks to all the staff

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Thomas C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

My colleagues and I booked this hotel to stay in during the Lib Dem party conference. The desk staff were cheery and pleasant and the rooms - though basic - were fine. But the organisation and food were utterly atrocious. The main issues were:

1. We had booked four rooms so that I and each of my colleagues could have a room to ourselves. However, when my colleague Steve arrived he was told that no room had been booked for him, and he would have to share one of the other rooms. We had a very full schedule and were all very tired, and to expect individuals who wanted a comfortable, private night's sleep to share a room when we had booked separate rooms for them is ridiculous.

2. The breakfast. Neither I nor my colleagues are picky about food, but it was inedible. It had all clearly been sitting out for a while. The food was cold, dry and the yolk on my egg was hard as concrete. The black pudding was wrapped in a plastic skin which was so tough I completely failed to break it with my knife. In the end we abandoned the food and found breakfast away from the hotel at our own expense.

3. On the second night of our stay, I came back late to find that the skylight in my room had been left open all day by whoever had cleaned the room, and the rain had utterly soaked the bed and floor directly below it. Thankfully it was a twin room, so I switched beds, but I had to spend some considerable time mopping up the water on the floor with towels. When I informed the lady on the desk about this the next morning, she didn't seem in the least bit concerned about what had happened.

4. The noise level on my floor was completely unacceptable (though this wasn't the fault of the hotel staff).

Since complaining to the hotel nearly a week ago I have heard nothing further, save a phone call to my colleague in which the manager complained about me making a complaint. However, since making the complaint I received an email from Booking.com (who I booked through) saying that there is an additional £300 cancellation charge to the booking. We did not cancel any rooms (indeed, we weren't even able to take one of the rooms we had booked as the hotel had lost the booking). I called Booking.com and they said that the hotel had marked all our stays as no-shows. I have no idea why they would do this, other than either by mistake, or to stop a negative review being posted about the stay on Booking.com. Thankfully Booking.com are not charging us for the 'cancellation'.

As I say, the desk staff were very pleasant and the hotel was generally clean (if a little tatty), but I would never consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
The M, Owner at Victorian House, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Miss Helena Stroud

Thank You for your your review.

I was actually in the process of sending yourself an email reply after speaking to your colleague last friday. I asked to be given till Friday 27th, you are obviously hasty regarding this matter and have decided to take matters public. This is not a problem.

I am sorry you were not patient enough to wait on my private reply. This may have worked out better, i feel.

In any case i will go through all your concerns and rebutt and agree where appropriate :

When you arrived at the premises you arrived with 2 other friends and asked for 3 rooms. At no point did you indicate to our reception staff that Steve would be arriving later for a 4th room. You promptly paid the amount for your 3 rooms with NO extra cost mentioned or paid for Steve's room. Our staff assumed that Steve's room was a mistaken overbooking and his room was cancelled in the system. He later arrived and was left with no option but to share a room with one of the other occupants at NO EXTRA cost. Be aware, it was not booking.com that took your payment but it was the hotel. This will be reflected in your bank statement. Mistakes have been made at both ends on this matter and i apologise i could not accommodate Steve in another room but rooms in Glasgow were priceless during this period.

Reviews about our breakfast are very varied but on the whole,positive. Any negative comments are taken seriously and acted upon. If a newly fried egg was asked for, it would have been made. with no doubts. The foil on the black pudding is normal and there is a technique to slip it off. I am sorry you were not able to manage this. We are looking to bring in extra features and incentives into future breakfast menu varieties and i can guarantee an improved breakfast from our current setup. This will be reflected in future reviews, hopefully.

Our chambermaid made a grave mistake in leaving your skylight window open. Glasgow had not experienced any rain for a while so this was overlooked. Obviously once it starts raning in Glasgow, it doesn't stop. I apologise on behalf of her and all the staff for this error which resulted in you spending time and energy drying up. If this happened in a double room with no other option, i would be more than happy to offer a free night but you thankfully had the 2nd bed option.

Noise Level..

Being a weekend night, we experience all types of guests during this period, unfortunately drunk and disorderly being some ( very small minority). If any guests occur problems with noise or disturbance, we ask they inform reception immediately. Our reception staff, especially night porters, are skilled to defuse and correct late night issues. You failed to do this.....if you contacted reception, the noise would have waned within minutes. All you had to do was pick up the phone and dial '0' for reception.

Your booking was cancelled via booking.com because Mr Steve failed to arrive upon your own arrival. If it turns out that booking.com are charging extra commission on this booking, there may be extra charges liable. This is something i will look into and correct. This may mean more charges are applicable from your side, unfortunately.

Again, i apologise that you did not enjoy your stay as for ALL staff concerned at the hotel our priority is that the guest has a comfortable and helpful stay. We NEVER want unhappy guests and will give all possibilities viable at the time to ensure the guest stays.

If he is still unhappy, he can check out with ALL future monies refunded even if the booking is NON-REFUNDABLE. Reasons for this have to be valid though, with substance.

I wish you well in your future hotel stays around UK.

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Victorian House is comfortable and clean. The staff are helpful and overall the place has the air of an upmarket youth hostel. The bedroom was clean, tidy and spacious; there was no street noise and the bathroom facilities were very clean.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
west midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I arrived without prior booking and the staff were very helpful and found me a double room for the price of a single room. Sorted me out a parking permit £2.00 per night . The room was perfectly fit for purpose the bed was clean the ensuite shower was clean and the radiator in the room which is very useful as it was a cold evening. Great location very close to the centre with plenty of eating Places. The breakfast was good cereals, pancakes, Scottish breakfast, toast, and tea and coffee were all available. I would most certainly stay again given the experience I had on this visit. As the saying goes you get what you pay for its not the Ritz but was perfectly adequate For my needs.

Room Tip: Having only seen my room I cannot really advise on any other rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dingwall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Last minute booking for one night stay with our teenage son ,wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised we got a very large room with two comfy double beds en suite bathroom .The staff were all very friendly and helpful ,breakfast is a very good choice of cereals,yogurts fruit,pastries,toast also cooked breakfast, tea, coffee and fruit juices.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank roncob-73
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Our Anniversary Weekend, were visiting friends, but wanted to stay in B&B, not to put people out!
This B&B had everything you needed, room was clean (although a wee paint required in room), because of mobility problems we were level with reception.
Lots if hot water, hair dryer and iron if required.
Bed lovely, fresh and so comfy.
Even changed towels and cleaned room after only one night, great.
Breakfast , you couldn't ask for anymore . There was loads, cereal, croissant, toast, bread, fruit, yoghurt, kippers, haddock and a lovely cooked breakfast full of everything too and cooked fresh. There was a machine that gave you coffee, hot chocolate, cappuccino, etc and machine with lovely cold fruit juices.
To top it all staff were so nice, polite and attended to needs as required. Thank you. Davie & Robbie. Edinburgh

• Stayed July 2013
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

The staff at this hotel couldn't have done more to make our stay pleasant being flexible on room allocation and more than accommodating over parking issues.
The beds were clean, a good night's sleep was had, breakfast was great and the position of the hotel for town was excellent.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family