“Little gem”

Ranked #78 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Little gem”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my two daughters whilst visiting the Glasgow World Cup gymnastics competition. We only booked because it was cheap and central but what a little gem we found. Our room was massive with a double bed a single and another single in a separate little area plus a big bathroom. It had good sized flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities. The price came with full Scottish breakfast, not sure what to expect we were delighted to find everything you would expect from a top hotel, cereals, pastries, full English plus haggis, fruit juices coffee and tea and toast. The staff were very friendly and let us check in early and leave our bags there after checking out so we could do some shopping and picked them up later. They also ordered us a taxi to the airport which came with a discount. If we make this an annual trip we wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: We had the family room downstairs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Annette021

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

No major problems although I disliked the service provided by the receptionist who was on duty when we checked in. He was extremely rude to us. Rooms and bathroom were nicely decorated although a bit more cleaning is needed. We stayed at the bottom floor so wifi signal was very week. Issue with the stairs if you have a lot of luggage or pram/trolley/wheelchair. Breakfast provided was excellent!

• Stayed December 2013
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

At £30 for single occupancy of a double room, this was good value. The breakfast here was worth ten times more than the very stingy one the previous day at a £55 hotel in Edinburgh, and did set me up for the day.

The room was very clean & spotless including all bedding, towels, cups, surfaces and everything.

The receptionist didn't tell me anything about the wireless, but was helpful when I went back down immediately and pointed out that window mechanisms were broken so the window couldn't be closed. I was soon allocated another room. It was 10pm so I then decided I didn't want to go all the way down again to ask about the wireless.

Since I last stayed here a few years ago they have renovated and put in hard laminate floors ... which can be noisy in rooms above and next door.... but it didn't bother me much till around breakfast time.

Luckily there was am electric heater to warm the room up on demand at night , and it soon did so ... perhaps that was because this room doesn't have a radiator. On a previous visit here I was a bit chilly at night in a room that did have a radiator which wasn't on at night, and had no electric heater.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Victorian House only for one night, we booked a last-minute room because we got stucked in Glasgow and found this place, offering cheap rooms and breakfast. Location is good, as very close to Glasgow Buchanan street Bus Station and city center, which can be easily reached from here with a 10 minutes walk. Room was big and clean, very comfortable bed, staff nice and polite, and the provided breakfast, both continental and cooked, was perfect to start a long day of travelling. I recommend this place because it is essential and the price is low if compared to the quality offered.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laureanda
Dublin
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Clean, spacious & comfortable. Telly worked fine, internet was free, a bit slow sometimes but adequate. Good nights sleep & breakfast was fine. It is very hilly to walk up to from the river, but that was fine for me. Plenty of local amenities.

Room Tip: Double room that sleeps 1 person
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Where do I even start.
By far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in.
We where greeted by a very miserable receptionist whos customer service skills rivaled that of a rock. When we eventually got to our room we where greeted again by an overwhelming smell of bleach and disinfectant, how I do not know because the room was filthy. Opposite the laundry room and under the kitchen we struggled to get any sleep at all, that was dispite being woke up several times by a member of staff letting themselves into our room !

I have read quite a few of the reviews on T.A about this hotel and it seems the owner uses " we have not fully renovated all the rooms yet" as an ongoing excuse. I would not mind this if the comments werent from 2012!!

Stay well away from this hotel. There are many more in the same area that are the same price and are actually clean. Health and safety would have a feild day in the bathrooms. It amazes me how it is still actually open. If you cannot provide your apparent 3* rating in EVERY single room you let out you should not accept the bookings.

So if you are not a fan of awful customer service, filthy rooms, noise and a total lack of health and safety I would keep away from the Victorian house hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank J_miller-1991

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

aberdeen
Reviewed 18 November 2013

this place is the meaning of "value for money", it was clean, spacious, comfortable and i enjoyed everything about it! the wifi connection is excellent also. Only thing I disliked was the heating! i found it to be quite cold at nights but luckily i brought my hot water bottle with me but i would reccomend to the hotel to maybe leave the heating on during the night as that was when it was coldest especially in november! The hotel is a 10 minute walk from buchannan galleries and 2 minutes to sauchiehall street! i will most deffinetly be staying here on my trips to glasgow and would reccoemdn it to anyone who asks!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family