“value for money”

Ranked #78 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“value for money”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

for £50 a night with decent enough breakfast chucked in cant grumble especially as its really central . rooms are really good size and all the facilities. free breakfast is good and if early enough get a fair selection , only issue we had was shower wasnt working in our room(8) but was a bath so could have a soak so not major issue in end but would have been nice to know prehand.

Room Tip: as noted shower in room 8 not currently working
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

my wife & I stayed here for 1 night on friday last.For the price we paid it proved to be great value for money.The double room was on the small side but for 1 night who cares! Itwas well appointed,clean,warm and the en suite was more than adequate.Reception staff were pleasant & helpfull. Top of the bill however goes to the breakfast...it was as good as I"ve had in much more expensive hotels. If you are looking for a budget price hotel in the city centre I would recommend this as a no brainer, We will certainly stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I have stayed here on two occasions. On the first, there was a problem with the toilet, as when I went into the room, there was a lasting "deposit", which didn't flush away properly and nasty brown liquid formed in the bottom of the bowl. The room also smelt horrid. However, I was told that the room was available in this state because I had been upgraded to a better room than the one I had booked and the receptionist (Sharon, who was very friendly and helpful) said that cleaning hadn't let her know there was a problem in the room.

I was offered the chance to move but initially thought that the problem could be fixed by putting some bleach down the toilet. When it wasn't, I asked to move and received a nice phone call from the owner confirming that I could be moved.

I thought the breakfast was excellent value as it had all my favourites and there were good portion sizes so decided to stay on a second trip.

The second time I stayed, the room stank of what smelt like dog. I'm not sure what it was, but air freshening sprays didn't help much.

I would say that the cleaning of the bathrooms leaves a lot to be desired, as they don't seem to have heard of any treatments to get rid of mould, and it doesn't make the showers in particular look appealing. Also, the doors along the corridor seem to swing freely and noisily, which can be disturbing if people come back late as night, as happened to me on both occasions. I also agree with others' comments that you can be woken by the noise of the staff preparing the breakfasts if your room is near the kitchen.

Other than that, I thought that £35 per night including the excellent breakfast was excellent value, and I always look to see if there is a cheap room available when I stay in Glasgow.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I am an older lady , and, at first felt daunted by the stairs. Staff were extremely helpful , and, I felt very at home. Room was very clean, bed extremely comfortable , breakfast was wonderful . The Hotel is very well situated close to the shopping area. There was no noise from other rooms or from the street. I would definitely stay there again when next in Glasgow and give the "Victorian House" top marks.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and staff brought my luggage up - and down when I was leaving ( at 4.30 a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Victorian house was a lovely surprise! We were expecting a hostel and after the last one we were at, we were expecting dirt and grime. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we asked about booking an airport taxi. Our double room was large enough for our luggage, there was television, a clean bathroom, a comfortable bed, and no noise from other rooms. The breakfast was delicious and we could eat as much as we liked. The only thing that wasn't great was all of the construction going on in the area by the hotel, but it's to be expected in the city - just a bit of a pain when you have to walk on the other side of the road and don't know how to get to where you need to be while carrying luggage! Definitely great value for money though, and we would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014

We were very warmly welcomed by the receptionist and her subsequent friendly enquiries each day made our short stay very pleasant. The hotel was very conveniently situated, about ten minutes walk from the city centre and almost adjacent to the Glasgow School of Art. We walked to Cowcaddens Subway - about five minutes - and travelled very cheaply to Kelvinhall, very close to the wonderful Kelvingrove Museum where we could easily have spent several days. For film fans, Cineworld is on the same street as Victorian House. Generous buffet breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Room is in old structure building which needs to be a bit adjusted for higher standard but the price, services, and breakfast are outstanding. Since we stepped in the desk was very kind. After we got into the room, beds are very comfort and clean. What I loved the most was a lady (the owner, I guess) who cooked our fresh breakfast was so generous. Moreover her food were so bloody scrumptious and fresh. A bit far from center but overall points are good!!! Recommended if you need a bit walk to enjoy the city.

• Stayed January 2014