“O.k hotel but you better like stairs, and black mold!”
Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in Mid-June with my husband, parents and brother on a grown -up family vacation. The Hotel it's self is nice, nothing fancy, but you had better like stairs if you stay here! My husband and I were on the top floor, and it was 64 steps to our room! Kinda hard when you have luggage!
The breakfast was good, and the staff were helpful. Although, the night before we left we booked taxi's at the front desk for the next morning as one person in our group had to go to the airport and the others to the train station. Well, they mixed up the time of our one taxi and we almost missed our train! Not to happy about that!
This hotel is in a great location for shoppers though! Just about 2 blocks to the main street, but it is a long hike back up an awefully large hill. My mom could not do it so they had to take a taxi back all the time.
The rooms were o.k, the beds left something to the imagination, and our bathroom ceiling had black mold!! My brothers room was nice, he had no complaints. But my parents room looked like it was a redecorated closet! A LONG hallway to a tiny room in the basement with french doors by the bed to an alley!
If we ever get to Glasgow again I would book a different hotel on the same street, because the location was great!

• Stayed: June 2009
There are newer reviews for Victorian House

Reviewed 11 July 2009

I booked a single room for 3 nights at the Victoria House Hotel in Glasgow. They gave me room 9, I could not stay there more than 2 hours when I realized that it was full of bed bugs and I had so many bites on my arms and back. This hotel is very filth, should have an inspection and be closed down immediately.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2009

We only stayed in this hotel one night however we gained a pretty good idea in that time. Service was fine, nothing exceptional.
Location is in a bit of a back street, so the parking is only on street, and you're pretty lucky to find a spot there. It was a pretty central location, close to all amenities.
The room we had was basically in teh basement. It was clean and roomy and quite adequate for our family's needs. However, with no lift and really steep stairs, it was quite difficult, bordering on dangerous to cart our cases to the room.
Breakfast was good, plenty of hot and continental options available.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Came back again for the Nickelback concert, room was fine staff freindly and breakfast was good.
in the city centre so ideal for pre & post gig entertainment.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Don't stay here if you have any hygiene standards at all. Bed covers were full of stains, hairs and had navy fitted sheets with hairs on it, the pillows and pillow cases were also filthy. The carpets were dusty and smelt awful. Staff were not very helpful. The location was not that great as the "hotel" is at the top of a one way hill and does not look anything like its photo on their website. Be wise and don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Bluelilyangel
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Booked this hotel through laterooms, for halloween night. Says checkout was 11, so was happy enough with that.

Got there, room was tiny, furniture worn, bed very uncomfortable, and by golly, was it cold at night.

Put the heating on and was still really cold. Hardly slept at all!

Anyway next morning, got breakfast, rumbly enough food, wrappers still on cooked black pudding, or least thought thats what it was. Staff, very dull and seemed to be there jus cause they were gettin paid, not much enthusiasm.

Anyway, went back to room, phone rang at quarter to 11.
''sir check out was 10-30, i said web site says 11?
No sir, u need to leave now. I said, ok, will be out shortly.

1 min later phone rang again, ''this is the manager! U need to leave now sir, and i said, yes i understand, i wil be down shortly. NO SIR U NEED TO LEAVE NOW!!!
So i hung up and took my time, had a nice shower.

I understand it was prob laterooms fault, but the hotel should have extended some common sense and courtesy on this occasion.
Very dissapointed indeed!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank VARNEY-TRIP
Reviewed 1 September 2008

Very basic and a bit dirty, but on the whole not as bad as i was expecting.

You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple