“Disappointing Hotel Without Warm Atmosphere” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victorian House

Victorian House
Ranked #78 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
eastbourne
“Disappointing Hotel Without Warm Atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

I have just returned from Glasgow where i spent a couple of days in the Victorian House hotel. I had read the reviews before i booked and it sounded ok. However my experience was somewhat disappointing . Firstly i found the reception staff and i guess the owners are all Asians. I am not racist but i was hoping to be welcomed by a broad and friendly Scottish person as they are renowned for making you welcome. Instead i was greeted in a not unfriendly manner but not with the warm and helpful approach i was expecting.
The room i was put in was up two flights of stairs which was ok i guess but i then discovered that the net curtains were a shade of grey instead of white as they had obviously never been washed. On top of this i noticed stains on the bed cover which again showed me that it had not been cleaned. To confirm this on the day i left i saw some sheets and pillowcases on the floor outside my room. Thes had obviously been put there to prepare to change the room after i had left, but it was noticeable that there was no clean bed cover so the same one was going to be used again...stains and all !
The other thing i found was that breakfast started early and finished at 8.45 am which i felt was far too early if you were a late night person. The same with the checking out time of 10.30 am. It seems everything is done to a regime and to save in staff wages and not to the comfort and convenience of the customers whi after all are paying good money for a leisurely stay .
When i next visit Glasgow i will not be staying at this hotel. It falls short of my expectations and i am deeply suspicious about the cleanliness. Something i would never expect from a true Scottish owner...maybe thats the problem !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

Who wouldn't love the stains on the bed covers, toe nail clippings on the floor, black mold in the shower, grimy walls, ridiculously uncomfortable beds, and strong urine smell? I was scared of contracting a foot fungus or some kind of mysterious disease while staying here. Needless to say, my flip flops stayed on my feet the entire time I was in my room - shower and all. Someone needs to notify the Scottish Tourist Board that this place is not 3-star worthy... that rating is extremely misleading.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank randomlinen

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

I wasn't expecting much for the price. It looked a lot shabbier than the portrayal on the website. The welcome wasn't that friendly and there was a question on my having already paid so I thought I was going to get charged again. There were a lot of stairs and no offers of help. The room didn't have a glorious view but appeared cleanish, although not to a very high standard, I noticed some holes in the bed linen. The breakfast was ok, although after my night of horror, I am now wondering about the hygeine standards in the kitchen ! The problem came after I'd spend a night there and left covered in bed bug bites ! I mean covered ! Never ever stay there, I am in agony with itching and my complaints will be forthcoming !

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Wellieduck
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2009

Person on front desk was in need of a personality infusion, helpful when we asked questions but very offhand. Room was clean and quiet but bathroom was a bit grungy. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. Great location and very central to lots of great sightseeing . Parking was easily organised with vouchers but not so easy to find. Glad we were there in school holidays because I would think it would be difficult when there were classes at the Uni. The price of this place made it a cheap option for a few nights.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in Mid-June with my husband, parents and brother on a grown -up family vacation. The Hotel it's self is nice, nothing fancy, but you had better like stairs if you stay here! My husband and I were on the top floor, and it was 64 steps to our room! Kinda hard when you have luggage!
The breakfast was good, and the staff were helpful. Although, the night before we left we booked taxi's at the front desk for the next morning as one person in our group had to go to the airport and the others to the train station. Well, they mixed up the time of our one taxi and we almost missed our train! Not to happy about that!
This hotel is in a great location for shoppers though! Just about 2 blocks to the main street, but it is a long hike back up an awefully large hill. My mom could not do it so they had to take a taxi back all the time.
The rooms were o.k, the beds left something to the imagination, and our bathroom ceiling had black mold!! My brothers room was nice, he had no complaints. But my parents room looked like it was a redecorated closet! A LONG hallway to a tiny room in the basement with french doors by the bed to an alley!
If we ever get to Glasgow again I would book a different hotel on the same street, because the location was great!

• Stayed June 2009
West Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

I booked a single room for 3 nights at the Victoria House Hotel in Glasgow. They gave me room 9, I could not stay there more than 2 hours when I realized that it was full of bed bugs and I had so many bites on my arms and back. This hotel is very filth, should have an inspection and be closed down immediately.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Blue Mountains, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

We only stayed in this hotel one night however we gained a pretty good idea in that time. Service was fine, nothing exceptional.
Location is in a bit of a back street, so the parking is only on street, and you're pretty lucky to find a spot there. It was a pretty central location, close to all amenities.
The room we had was basically in teh basement. It was clean and roomy and quite adequate for our family's needs. However, with no lift and really steep stairs, it was quite difficult, bordering on dangerous to cart our cases to the room.
Breakfast was good, plenty of hot and continental options available.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family