“Hated the stairs”

Ranked #77 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
England
“Hated the stairs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2006

When I booked a room at the Victorian House I was not told about the 3 flights of stairs and no elevator. When I asked on arrival for some help with bags I was told "we are a B&B, not a hotel" So why call it Victorian House Hotel! Overall, rather tatty and naff - needs some tlc. Otherwise, good central location and mega breakfast, but should drop the word "hotel" as it does not come into this category. I suppose prices do reflect this.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Too many stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — Check location of room, ie which floor
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank Scunnered

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2006

We stayed in the Victorian for 3 nights in Nov 06. The location is excellent, very central and easy to get to and from (though due to the hill up to the hotel I would advise a cab from the station - this cost us about £3.50 which I dont think is too bad). Likewise there are steps up to the front door from the road and no lift inside the hotel so if stairs are an issue for you it may not be ideal for you. We paid about £42 per night, and decided to stay there rather than at one of the chain motel/hotels which all cost a lot more than that as our experience at one such in Glasgow town centre had put us off...
The hall and stairway carpets are indeed a bit worn in places but were of good quality.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was on the second floor, which did seem like a lot of steps when we were tired after our journey, but perfectly manageable. The room was not big, just enough to walk round the double bed, but was clean if a little scuffed in places. The bathroom was small but nice and clean, the shower excellent.
There were tea and coffee making facilities and a small TV which got a few cable channels as well as 1-5. The bed was quite comfortable (blankets not duvet). We could hear occasional noise from next door rooms but I wouldnt say it was any noisier than any other hotel while we were there. Overall, it was fine for somewhere to crash at the end of a day of exploring.
We only had breakfast on one day and it was excellent, self service but the staff were perfectly friendly and we clearly had the friendly chef too as he seemed keen to tease us for being blatantly english... in a nice way, of course. Good range of food items, hot and cold, juice, coffee was from a Tchibo machine which I thought would be horrible but was actually not too bad).
For the price, I think it was absolutely fine and would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Comfy, friendly, great location
  • Disliked — stairs steps hills...
  • Tips/Secrets — fab cinema at the end of Renfrew Street - CineWorld, really nice :-)
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pippippooray
Ossett, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2006

I noticed that views seem polarized on this hotel, love it or hate it. Well, I've come down in the middle.

Downsides:
The paint and carpets in the corridors are tatty.
Likewise in the rooms - there was serious mildew in the window frames too and stains around the coffee making facilities and a low stain under the desk where a previous guest had hurled a teabag into the bin and missed.
The room was cleaned every day, pretty well and I'd been going to leave a tip for the maid, as I generally do - until, hitching up the sheet on the bed I found a small, round plaster (band-aid) on the floor. I didn't use any plasters, so it was a previous guest's.
It's hard not to flood the floor when taking a shower.
The hot water in the basin is Dangerously hot, scalding.
I Did know it was a breakfast only hotel but even a wee packet of biscuits by the kettle would have been nice. When you arrive after dark, in the rain, as a solo female traveller the last thing you're going to do is go hunting for a restaurant.
Hygiene: on the 2nd morning I saw a member of staff sneeze into his hands and then carry on sorting out plates. The same guy this morning was setting up tables by putting out the cutlery blade/prong/bowl first, i.e. not by the handles.
The heating in the bedroom didn't work - although it was mild enough, so I was only cold the last night, to late to bother mentioning it.
Being asked to pay in advance for the first night. There had been no mention of that when I booked, good job I had money on me.

Upsides:
Friendly and obling staff, always had a smile.
On my last day I asked the receptionist where I could buy a stamp and she gave me one - gave, not sold!
The bed - nice and firm, excellent. Room 47.
The bathroom scrubbed and re-towelled every day.
The breakfast: a good effort! Plenty of cereals, tinned fruit, a machine that generated a lovely cafe au lait, then the cooked breakfast. Again, friendly staff, especially the cheery chef - cheery despite his father having just died (Wednesday) and having been mugged (Friday) and sporting several stitches.
OK, it's not the most sophisticated breakfast I've ever had but dmmit, this was £35 a night for sole occupancy of a double room, I'm not complaining!
Location: not on a bus route but great for getting to theatreland. It was 10 minutes walk downhill to theTtheatre Royal - although I've got to admit it was 7 minutes walk back uphill, I wasn't quite as happy walking home alone!

So, neither a dive nor a home from home. I probably won't stay there again until it's been done up. Shame though, the staff were lovely but were let down by the state of the building.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — General tattiness and suspect cleanliness.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2006

Hotel was horrible, staff were unfriendly, cooked breakfast disgusting. Do not stay here

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Cooked breakfast, very unfriendly & unpleasant staff
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT GO THERE
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank traveller500

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

clacton essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2006

Unlike other reviewers I found the staff very helpful in every way-but then I suppose that as in most areas of life the treatment that you receive from people is largely detemined by the way you treat them.
O.K. the hotel is a little dated and could do with a lick of paint and a general spruce up, but my room was clean, spacious enough and the shower worked-so in my book your half-way there already.
Now add to that a pretty decent buffet breakfast offering full cooked Scottish breakfast (haggis, eggs, bacon, mushrooms etc), kippers, smoked haddock, toast fruit and more.
Finally add a superb location a short walk from the town centre and I reckon that for the 39 pounds per night I paid per night for a single room including breakfast I got a great deal.
Of course you can, if you wish, pay 3or 4 times as much for somewhere better but I doubt very much you will get 3 or 4 times the value for your money.
I would look no further than this hotel if I came to Glasgow again

• Liked — price,location,able to park(small cost},breakfast,helpful and friendly staff
  • Disliked — decor,nolift
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank stennydave
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

I stayed at The Victorian with my sister for a week in late January 2006. After dragging our exceedingly large luggage from Buchanan Street bus station, up the rather hilly Renfrew Street, we laughed when we saw the steps outside; we laughed more when we saw the staircase inside (there isn't a lift), but then we saw our room and couldn't believe our eyes!!! It was absolutely HUGE with a full bathroom and it was extremely clean, bright and charming. The staff were wonderful; extremely helpful and friendly and I can't fault them. The chef was a hoot; so charming and entertaining (although I had some problem understanding his very strong accent but I think this only added to his charm). The breakfasts are truly excellent - buffet-style for cereal, fruit, juice, jams, toast, coffee/tea etc but you order a cooked breakfast from the Chef. The cooked brekkie was beautifully cooked and plenty of it! I think I rolled away from the table each morning and wasn't hungry until dinner that night. We received an excellent rate (46GBP a night). I'd stay at the Victorian again, in a heartbeat!

This place has charm and character - the very high ceilings and thick walls made it very quiet. We found the central heating throughout the UK to be too hot for us, so we loved that we could open the windows wide and let the breeze in (even at night in January!). The polished wooden floors were lovely too. Excellent hotel, excellent staff, wonderful holiday there!

• Liked — Excellent rooms, food, staff
  • Disliked — nothing in particular
  • Tips/Secrets — no lift, so go easy on the luggage
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank MarmaladeT
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2006

I visited the Victorian House on Aug. 6 and 7, 2006 (room 37), and it was a disappointing experience. I had selected the Victorian House in reliance upon its web page, which shows a nicely renovated and furnished room. But, my room looked nothing like the photos on the Victorian House's web page; my room had holes in the wall, peeling paint, stains on the walls and tired furniture. My children had a second room and it too was in worn condition, although in somewhat better shape than mine. The Victorian House's web page is grossly misleading and deceptive. The overall condition of the hotel is worn, used and sad, excepting only the breakfast room, which is in good condition. I would not stay at the Victorian House again and suggest that other travelers avoid it also.

3 Thank skirooster