“Glasgow Guesthouse”

Ranked #79 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
n. ireland
“Glasgow Guesthouse”
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I was pleasantly surprised by this guesthouse. We had a basment room which was really big. The bed was comfy and the shower was strong and hot, and it was cheap, so it was good value for money. It was pretty noisy in the mornings though, being below the kitchen, and the cooked breakfast was just a tad dodgy. This however is a perfectly acceptable place to stay, and is well located.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 20 February 2007

As a single lone female traveller, I arrived in Glasgow on Saturday and found details of this hotel on TripAdvisor in an internet cafe. I popped in on the off-chance as it was close by and was offered the option of a standard room at £32 or ensuite at £39 including breakfast. I asked to view beforehand and after seeing that the room was OK and the shared bathrooms spotless, I took the standard room for one night.

The room decor was tired, but othewise the hotel was fine. I only needed it as a safe place to lay my head as I was visiting friends who could not accomodate me overnight.

The hotel staff were friendly and helped with taxis and information when I needed it. The breakfast was excellent with a help-yourself-to-as-much-as-you-like policy on hot and cold buffet and drinks. As a single traveller it was nice to be able to choose my own table and spread newspapers over it for a good hour in the morning rather than being shunted off into a lonely corner as can happen when you're travelling alone!

The location was central and superb for popping out to the shops and back to get changed before going out. There was a Tesco or Sainsbury (can't remember which) within 10 mins walk, on the main shopping street, which was handy to stock up on bottled water and snacks.

I only took a taxi to the station on departure because I was heavily laden with bags at that point.

Not somewhere I would go for a romantic weekend - but practical, clean and pleasant for an overnight stay. I'd stay there again under similar circumstances!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank tequilasunrise73
Adelaide
Reviewed 21 January 2007

The room we were in had seen better days. However, since the place was quite cheap we didn't mind too much - that was until we pulled down the bed and saw that the sheets were dirty. The room was unbearably hot (even though we had the heater off the entire time). Finally, three flights of stairs is pushing it when you are trying to carry lots of luggage. They should think about installing some lifts. Nevertheless, the brekkie was pretty good.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MegAdelaide

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Surrey, UK
Reviewed 5 January 2007

Stayed here for one night only - thankfully.

We were in room 36, which is quite handy to reception, but that's the only thing it had going for it.

It was a double room, with a shower en-suite. The room was badly lit, not in very good repair and generally had seen better days. Additionally, when we arrived they tried to charge me £17 more than I had the confirmation page for, and then didn't have any change at reception, so we had to go out and get change. With the briefest of directions, we found our room, and discovered the remote for the television didn't work properly (it was a universal remote, not the original) and one of the bedside lights had a globe broken.

Being close to reception, we were also obviously close to the kitchen and breakfast room, where they started banging chairs or dishes or something before 6am. Breakfast was satisfactory insofar as there was toast and cereals and (tinned, i think) fruit available, but the cooked breakfast was truly appalling. I found the staff to be generally unfriendly, with the exception of one of the morning reception people.

The only good thing I can really say about it was the location wasn't bad, and they did have (£2 x 3 for a full day) parking vouchers available, if you could find a space. wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 29 November 2006

When I booked a room at the Victorian House I was not told about the 3 flights of stairs and no elevator. When I asked on arrival for some help with bags I was told "we are a B&B, not a hotel" So why call it Victorian House Hotel! Overall, rather tatty and naff - needs some tlc. Otherwise, good central location and mega breakfast, but should drop the word "hotel" as it does not come into this category. I suppose prices do reflect this.

• Liked — Central location
  • Disliked — Too many stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — Check location of room, ie which floor
  • Stayed November 2006
1 Thank Scunnered
UK
Reviewed 28 November 2006

We stayed in the Victorian for 3 nights in Nov 06. The location is excellent, very central and easy to get to and from (though due to the hill up to the hotel I would advise a cab from the station - this cost us about £3.50 which I dont think is too bad). Likewise there are steps up to the front door from the road and no lift inside the hotel so if stairs are an issue for you it may not be ideal for you. We paid about £42 per night, and decided to stay there rather than at one of the chain motel/hotels which all cost a lot more than that as our experience at one such in Glasgow town centre had put us off...
The hall and stairway carpets are indeed a bit worn in places but were of good quality.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was on the second floor, which did seem like a lot of steps when we were tired after our journey, but perfectly manageable. The room was not big, just enough to walk round the double bed, but was clean if a little scuffed in places. The bathroom was small but nice and clean, the shower excellent.
There were tea and coffee making facilities and a small TV which got a few cable channels as well as 1-5. The bed was quite comfortable (blankets not duvet). We could hear occasional noise from next door rooms but I wouldnt say it was any noisier than any other hotel while we were there. Overall, it was fine for somewhere to crash at the end of a day of exploring.
We only had breakfast on one day and it was excellent, self service but the staff were perfectly friendly and we clearly had the friendly chef too as he seemed keen to tease us for being blatantly english... in a nice way, of course. Good range of food items, hot and cold, juice, coffee was from a Tchibo machine which I thought would be horrible but was actually not too bad).
For the price, I think it was absolutely fine and would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — Comfy, friendly, great location
  • Disliked — stairs steps hills...
  • Tips/Secrets — fab cinema at the end of Renfrew Street - CineWorld, really nice :-)
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pippippooray
Ossett, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2006

I noticed that views seem polarized on this hotel, love it or hate it. Well, I've come down in the middle.

Downsides:
The paint and carpets in the corridors are tatty.
Likewise in the rooms - there was serious mildew in the window frames too and stains around the coffee making facilities and a low stain under the desk where a previous guest had hurled a teabag into the bin and missed.
The room was cleaned every day, pretty well and I'd been going to leave a tip for the maid, as I generally do - until, hitching up the sheet on the bed I found a small, round plaster (band-aid) on the floor. I didn't use any plasters, so it was a previous guest's.
It's hard not to flood the floor when taking a shower.
The hot water in the basin is Dangerously hot, scalding.
I Did know it was a breakfast only hotel but even a wee packet of biscuits by the kettle would have been nice. When you arrive after dark, in the rain, as a solo female traveller the last thing you're going to do is go hunting for a restaurant.
Hygiene: on the 2nd morning I saw a member of staff sneeze into his hands and then carry on sorting out plates. The same guy this morning was setting up tables by putting out the cutlery blade/prong/bowl first, i.e. not by the handles.
The heating in the bedroom didn't work - although it was mild enough, so I was only cold the last night, to late to bother mentioning it.
Being asked to pay in advance for the first night. There had been no mention of that when I booked, good job I had money on me.

Upsides:
Friendly and obling staff, always had a smile.
On my last day I asked the receptionist where I could buy a stamp and she gave me one - gave, not sold!
The bed - nice and firm, excellent. Room 47.
The bathroom scrubbed and re-towelled every day.
The breakfast: a good effort! Plenty of cereals, tinned fruit, a machine that generated a lovely cafe au lait, then the cooked breakfast. Again, friendly staff, especially the cheery chef - cheery despite his father having just died (Wednesday) and having been mugged (Friday) and sporting several stitches.
OK, it's not the most sophisticated breakfast I've ever had but dmmit, this was £35 a night for sole occupancy of a double room, I'm not complaining!
Location: not on a bus route but great for getting to theatreland. It was 10 minutes walk downhill to theTtheatre Royal - although I've got to admit it was 7 minutes walk back uphill, I wasn't quite as happy walking home alone!

So, neither a dive nor a home from home. I probably won't stay there again until it's been done up. Shame though, the staff were lovely but were let down by the state of the building.

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — General tattiness and suspect cleanliness.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo