“A great time....”

The White House Apartments
Reviewed 2 August 2008

We traveled with another couple throughout Scotland in June, and stayed at the White House Apartments for one night, just before leaving Scotland. We booked it because of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and as always, we weren't disappointed!

We each had a studio apartment, and the location was very convenient to restaurants etc. The staff was lovely, immediately fixing a burnt out light bulb, and we were able to use their computer to print our boarding passes, which was a big help. It felt like we were staying at the home of friends.

I only wish we had stayed longer, both at the White House, and in Glasgow. And the price was very reasonable. I can't imagine a better choice if you are visiting Glasgow!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 July 2008

After just returning from Glasgow I would like to inform all potential visitors to The Whitehouse of our experience.

We booked a small studio apartment based on the many positive reviews and photos both on this website and also the Whitehouse's website. I enquired as to availability back in Jan 08 and was informed the small studio was available so I went ahead and booked it and paid my despoit.

We arrived late afternoon on a saturday after driving 4 hours from Aviemore, we were looking forward to a nice cosy modern room and were desperate for a shower (usual stuff). As no reception or managment staff work at the weekend the caretaker showed us to our room, "suite" number 2. As he opened the door we were greeted by a large room with dated shabby furniture, the bed was up some stairs along with the bathroom. I pointed out that this was not what we had booked and was informed we had been "upgraded". No one had informed me of the change to my booking. Left in the room was a receipt for the balance which had been taken from my debit card that morning without my knowledge or consent.

The room we had been allocated I have since found out was a "mezzanine room". The wallpaper was old and peeling, the carpets threadbare and dirty and there was a musty smell. The kitchen looked like it was from the 1930's, dark green painted sliding doors and the bathroom was also dated. There was no shower facility only an attachment on the bath taps and no shower curtain. The bathroom bin had not been emptied from the previous occupant and there were dirty sanitaries in there ! Not nice at all !

The bed was pushed up against the wall so we pulled it out to try to make more room for the two of us only to discover that the carpet underneath was filthy.

I went to reception and told the caretaker I wanted the room I had booked and was informed it was not possible as they were full. I was livid. The room we had been allocated was a far cry from what I had booked. I notice there are no photos of these types of room on their website, the reason being they are awful !

I informed the caretaker we would be checking out the next day and wanted a refund. I was told I would not be getting one and that there was no one for me to speak to until monday morning !

Needless to say we did check out first thing in the morning after a sleepless night and came home a day early.

I would like to warn all future guests of the Whitehouse to check what they have booked is what they will be allocated. No where does it say on their terms and conditions that they reserve the right to change your accomodation without notice or your consent so we are currently chasing a full refund !

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Odette74
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I travelled to Scotland with my wife and kids. I feel fortunate to stop over at the White House Apartments situated at The West End of Glasgow. I searched over the internet and booked it directly. We travelled all across the Europe; I must say there was no better place than the White house apartment. The White House apartments are a Victorian style hotel accommodation with modernized rooms. The cost worked out to be very reasonable. We took a two bed room apartment. We had an beautiful kitchen. I personally feel I received better value for money during my stay at The White House Apartment.

Location of white house apartment makes it more favourable, It’s very close to the city centre and its walk able distance from Pubs and Restaurants. Our teenage kids loved the place. We felt like being at home with friendly and helpful staff around us. I am looking forward to come again. I am very glad, I found my treasure!!! I recommend White house apartment for people from across all ages. I wish the White house staff good luck!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Room 22 is a two-bedroom apartment at the back of this glorious Victorian terrace in Glasgow’s smart West End. The owners have modernised this apartment with a smart combination of contemporary and traditional furnishings and fittings. The split-level between the lounge area and dining area is particularly pleasing. Shown to our spotlessly clean room by the ever-helpful porter, the space unfolds before you at the top of a short flight of stairs up to the apartment. The attention to detail is here with a fully fitted kitchen, Jacuzzi bath and Velux roof lights for lots of light and ventilation. Great value for money but, let’s keep it a secret shall we? Nothing’s perfect: no shower curtain and nowhere to hang the showerhead to have a shower.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2008

I loved the fact that you could book these apartments for a short stay - two nights. We had Suite 16 which was large, spacious and bright, overlooking lovely gardens in a beautiful residential area but still close to nightlife. (15 mins to Byres Road) The kitchen was a good size with everything you could possibly need, the bathroom was immaculate, the living area had large tv, sofa and huge comfy armchairs. The bed was comfortable and no street noise, or any noise at all. There was much more space than your average or even expensive hotel, and all at a great price £136 for 2 nights. Would recommend and we will definitely go back. My one and only negative comment - no power shower. Although it did the job fine.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 5 May 2008

I stayed at a superior two bed apartment at The White House - with a colleague on a business trip. We could not fault this property at all. It is beautifully decorated and attention to detail has not been missed. They are equipped with EVERYTHING! Our bathroom had a jacuzzi bath, great at the end of a busy working day. They allow you to order a take away and let you know where you can pick up essentials like a bottle of wine etc!!!
I will definately return and recommend this property to anyone...

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2008

My wife and I stayed two nights - and felt very much "at home" in this delightful set of appartments. We had number 11 at the back - which had to be accessed through a VERY narrow passageway - which might be a bit of a squeeze if you are a rotund person - but - the squeeze is worth it :)

I saw one of the other appartments - one with a mezzanine and a magnificent bay window - don't recall the number of that - but it was quite special.

Tartan abounds - the staff are a pleasure to talk to - and the place might have one or two items that are a bit in need of TLC - but if ever we go back to Glasgow - we would have no qualms booking at the White House again - it was super....

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple