“Stunning Accommodation”

The White House Apartments
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Stunning Accommodation”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Unsurpassable! Superior Apartments set in a beautiful Victorian Crescent in the West End of Glasgow. We have over the last four years been frequent visitors to Glasgow and have stayed in very good hotels but the accommodation at The White House Apartments, Cavendish Crescent is second to none. We have stayed there many times in different studios and all of them have been an absolute delight. Wonderful staff, I highly recommend anyone visiting this vibrant city, whether for business or pleasure to stay here - you will be won over and will not want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which room you choose because of the extremely high standard of the accommodat...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz P
TheWhiteHouseApts, Bookings & Reception at The White House Apartments, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback; as part of our constant drive to improve the overall customer experience we welcome all reviews and comments. It is always encouraging to read such a positive review from our Guests and we are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was the first time our family has stayed at the White House and will plan on using them on a regular basis as we visit with family in Glasgow. The White House is a brief walk to the shops and Botanical Gardens. The staff was very kind and helpful, almost like "family". The apartment that we stayed in was very clean and comfortable. We would highly recommend the White House !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback; we are always happy to receive reviews from our Guests and it is really nice to read such positive feedback.
Campbeltown
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is quite an eye opener - for here we are in 2014, yet I'm reading complaints from 2007/8 regardiing the very same "Mews cottages" my friend and I stayed in on the 14th June. Number 11 was an absolute disgrace and yet, it seems from these previous complaints that nothing whatsoever has been done to upgrade these rooms. They are like student digs and very unpleasant - can't think why you reckon it's ok to put two middle-aged women in a tatty, sub-standard room, unless this is your policy for single people,ie, to stick them out the way!! The photos on the site are very misleading and if your expecting stylish furniture etc, make sure you have not been booked into one of these grotty mews rooms.
I'm very angry with the Whitehouse, because I have stayed there myself in the past and I have had stylish rooms with antique furnishings . Because of this, I recommended it to my friend who was coming up from Birmingham to meet me for a weekend catch-up. She booked and paid on my recommendation. Both of us have complained yet no-one has been in contact with her even when told that someone would. So very very disappointing - shame on you :-( It is ironic that I only stopped using the Whitehouse for stopovers in Glasgow because I got a puppy and they don't allow dogs. Double standards methinks, for I would not even let my dog stay in that room we had for fear he would catch something!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Annie L
TheWhiteHouseApts, Manager at The White House Apartments, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we are disappointed to learn that you did not have a positive experience during your stay with us. I would add that the apartment has been refurbished since the previous reviews in 2007. All of our Guests do have preferred apartments and it is unfortunate that this particular apartment did not meet your expectations; had I been aware of this matter at the time of your booking I would have changed your allocation to a suite which matched your preference. I would also like to add that you have stayed with us previously in a selection of our apartments and you will surely concur that The White House has lovely accommodation to offer.

As per our telephone conversation I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again and it would be lovely to welcome you back and I can assure you that you will have a wonderful stay with us.
Shetland traveller
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Back at the White House after a year-long absence and very pleased to see that it's as clean, comfortable and different as ever. These self-catering apartments are in a quiet street about 20 mins walk from the top of Byres Road, along from the Botanic Gardens. The staff are lovely. The rooms are furnished like you would at home - I like places that have ornaments and nice pictures, that make you feel like you ARE at home. Cost-wise on a par with the Premier Inn / Ibis, but infinitely nicer! Long may it prosper. I am looking forward to this continuing to be my preferred stopping point in Glasgow. The taxis are cheap here, making this preferable to places near the centre of town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback; we are delighted that you had such a positive experience and we are always working hard to improve our Guests' overall experience.
Scotland
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have been using the White House for many many years now on a regular basis and my family have used it too. I have probably been in every apartment in the place and whilst they all differ they are all of a very good or excellent standard. They are equipped with everything you would need for a one night or one week stay. The location is excellent and it sits in a quiet crescent. They have refurbished some apartments over the last while and these are of a very high standard. I would have no hesitation in recommending this place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Drummy15
Thank you for your feedback; we are constantly working to improve our Guests' experience so it is great to receive such positive reviews.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed one week in room 34 in the White House. Before booking a room in the White House I emailed them twice asking whether they could provide a dust free room due to allergies. The fact that no one responded should have been a warning. On the online booking form I again requested a dust-free room. The guy at the check-in is friendly and in fact all staff is very friendly. The room was large and quiet. However...it was very dusty. And when I say dusty....I mean dusty. A large number of big pieces of cobwebs (= human skin!) were attached to ceiling and walls. The room could have been used as the decor for a horror movie! Fridge was dirty...and on top of the wardrobe was a thick layer of dust. We didn't dear to look under the bed, or on top of the curtains.

Upon leaving this room both my wife and I were sniffing and had burning eyes due to dust allergies. This hotel is a major health risk for people allergic to dust, and instead of naming it "White House" they should call it "Dust House". The good news for anyone staying in room 34 in March/April 2014 is that we tried to clean it (with a 1950-style hover that is in the apartment)...so it should be reasonable clean for a few weeks. Management should be ashamed of themselves.

---
Before submitting this review to Tripadvisor, we gave the White House Inn an opportunity to respond and rectify things. Note that we did not ask them for a refund. The response went along the lines of: "We are very sorry", "Senior management was not present to double check the room", "We agree it was below our standards", etc. They offered a free1 night stay for a future visit. So...let me just summarize this. We pay 550 GBP to stay one week in a 'below standard horror room"...my wife gets ill afterwards (as a direct consequence of the dust!)....and you want us to come back for another stay? You must be joking.

My next email to the White House staff was whether they were willing to donate 100 GBP to a charity of our choice (instead of offering a free night to people who won't get back to Glasgow). The response was that they were already donating money to charities. They don't get the point, I think. If you offer 'below standard service"...which are their own words....then you should be ashamed of yourself...and refund. This hotel is a health and safety risk.

Management from the White House...please do not respond to this review. You had your chance. People don't want to come back for a free night...so...stop offering that.

Room Tip: Just don't book here.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
TheWhiteHouseApts, General Manager at The White House Apartments, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We regret you feel this way,as discussed with you in your email the offer of a complimentary stay is still opened to you.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the atrium apartment just a wee walk from the reception. Lovely apartment, well equipped with everything you need. Quiet apartment but plenty pubs, shops, etc nearby. Parking was easy too. Would definitely recommend and go back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Hi and Thank You for your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing First Class customer service and it is always great to receive such positive reviews from our Guests.