“Shabby room. Disappointing. Poor.”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #78 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Perth, United Kingdom
“Shabby room. Disappointing. Poor.”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

My wife and I booked this hotel as a birthday treat to stay over and go to a concert. We were allocated room 224 which was grotty to say the least. There was mould and damp on the roof and outside wall, one of the lampshades had water marks on it, there were large stains on the carpet and the bathroom was very dated and had a mouldy smell. We complained to the duty manager and were given a free upgrade by the duty manager to a club room. Her comment was that she wouldnt stay in this room so she didnt expect her guests to. We were initially happy with this until we found hair on the bathroom floor. The room was not entirley clean. Also, when I checked my bank account on returning home the next day I discovered my "free upgrade" had cost me £103.25 which I am still waiting to be refunded.
We had not booked breakfast and having seen the poor cleanliness in the rooms were relieved as we could only imagine the cleanliness of the kitchens. We were also woken at 6 in the morning by what I assumed was tables being set up in the restaurant beneath the room.
Overall this was not a good experience and we shall not be returning to this hotel. Without a doubt, this has been our worst hotel experience. Definitely not 4 star.....maybe equivalent to a two star guest house.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Just back from a weekend at the Millenium. Hotel is in an excellent location for the station and shops but this is by far it's best feature. The rooms were tired decoratively and incredibly noisy. Every footstep in the room above was audible through a series of squeeks and creaks in the ceiling, noise from the corridor was appaling and the windows were less than soundproof. We were at the back overlooking the station car park which was quiet, but the rest of our group were on the street side and suffered traffic and drunk noise all night along with a buzzer (of unknown origin) which sounded every 20 mins.
Bar is stylish but was very expensive and there are a lot of other places to eat and drink in the very near vacinity. On checkout we were presented with a bill for £90 more than the price we had been quoted, when we questioned it they reduced it but be careful and make sure you check your bill carefully.
Staff were helpful and curteous and we were able to leave our luggage after checkout which was a bonus.
Very expensive for what we got, would not return to this particular hotel but there did seem to be a lot of other nicer hotels in what is a fantastic area of Glasgow......consider booking one of those instead!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My wife and I stayed 2 nights from last Thursday.Booked a Studio suite with Double Bed but got a Club room.Don't know if they are the same but assumed so.We were given room 406 which was very shabby with some wallpaper hanging loose from the ceiling. No mini bar or bottled water etc that we had expected. Asked for room change and got 203 not much better except no hanging wallpaper. Told all mini bars had been removed.When we checked in I was asked if I would like a morning paper and I ordered the Daily Mail. Never got one or water etc despite asking several times. The pictures of the rooms on the website must have been taken when the last refurb was done. On the first evening we ate out but on the second decided to eat in the restaurant. The hotel directory in the room said it opened at 6.00 so we went down at 6.05 only to be told it did not open till 6.30. Got a good recommendation from the conceige and ate out. Breakfast is the usual self service. On the last morning we went in at about 8.15 not many guests eating .Told that toast machine was broken and that bacon would be about 30 mins. Toast served from kitchen and we got one piece each until we asked for more.Suggest you stay away from this hotel until refurb complete. Wished we had stayed at the Carlton George along the street as we have done in the past. Finally I think it very sad that we have reached a point for security reasons that to access the toilets in the foyer you have to get a code from reception and to operate the lifts you have to use the room key. TT

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Lisa_Ruxton, Sales Team at Millennium Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I can assure you that we are in the process of a refurbishment programme and we will be introducing flat screen TVs throughout the hotel in January 2012. Thank you for pointing out the error in our hotel directory – we have amended these now. We have now retrained all of our staff toughout the hotel and with the appointment of our new Head Chef who is concentrating on our Brasserie service in particular our breakfast offerings this will improve. Due to our location we have a security code to access the toilets to ensure the safety of our customers as well as our staff.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Paid £160 for 2nights. The hotel was dated and old. I know the building is old but still it could do with a decent re furb or clean of some sort. The asian ladie behind reception had very very poor customer service. When asked is this the best room available she just said YES without checking what room we were in or what the problem was. My friend who works in travel just said that maybe she could have a look as she works in travel and it would help with recommendations etc, but the ladie just said 'what' after a minute and we just turned around and said it did not matter. The best experience by far and maybe the ladie behind reception could take a few pointers is the concierge service FANTASTIC and Glasgow itself excellent. Just stay in another hotel ie Premier Inn, cleaner, brighter and more value for your money!!

Room Tip: dont stay here:)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lewisuk2000
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I can assure you that we have taken this comment on board and this comment has been passed on to our senior management team to investigate. I am happy that you found our concierge service helpful and enjoyed your stay in Glasgow. I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the near future and hope you return to witness the improvements that we have made.

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I made a international call for just under 20 min.
It cost me £178+. this is more than the room cost me . I won't go there again. I think there charges are way to much. Sick sick sick.

• Stayed September 2011
London
Reviewed 10 October 2011

If you are looking for a stylish hotel in Glasgow think again! I stayed for a couple of days over the weekend and the bar is fantastic, but that is the only positive point. Of course, the hotel's central location makes this a positive, and from the grand entrance it looks impressive. Away from the style of the bar and its polite staff the hotel just needs some work. I arrived late and I found the reception staff far from welcoming; after a long journey I was looking forward to a drink from the minibar rather than heading back to the bar and only found bottles of water. There is a card displayed near by saying that you could order drinks from room service, however, I did not find this acceptable. The following day, again arriving back late, I wanted to order room service and couldn't find a menu. I ranf reception to ask for a menu to be sent up and it took two calls to find out that they could not find any menus. I was read out the menu, however it came across as they didn't really want to go out their way to help guests. The bedroom windows are not double glazed so it was also noisy. I won't be staying there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a rear room if there is one as the front of the house looks out on George Square
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am happy to hear that you liked our bar area and that you found our staff friendly. However I am disappointed to read that you found the reception staff unwelcoming and that you were unsatisfied by the minibar. I have ensured that there are roomservice menus accessible in all rooms and that extra menus are available at reception. We have carried out training with all members of the reception team to ensure that this situation does not happen again. I can also ensure you that we are in the process of carrying out a refurbishment programme which will include new flat screen TVs throughout the hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2011

The staff at the hotel are polite and helpful but see below:-

When I checked in I was told I had to book breakfast there and then otherwise would have to pay the more expensive restaurant price. Saw another guest booking in and they were told they could book breakfast at the cheaper price when it was convenient to them.
The room was tired and unclean - lots of dust on top of wardrobe, dirty curtains, chair grubby, stains on the duvet.
Windows do not open therefore had to turn on the air conditioning.
I stayed at the hotel as I was attending a wedding and on the morning of the wedding there was no hot water - had to use a kettle to wash my hair!

It is a shame that this hotel does not offer better facilties as it's location is good.

On a positive note - the freshly made pancakes served on the hotel landing were lovely.

Room Tip: Ask for the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Firstly I would like to thank you about the positive comments on the pancakes. I can assure you that we are in the process of a refurbishment programme and this will address some of these comments. We are also introducing new flat screen TVs throughout the entire hotel. Due to safety reasons there are restrictions on some of the windows and the air conditioning is an alternative for this. I would like to apologies about the lack of hot water during your stay and I can assure you that this has been rectified. I hope you had a good time at the wedding.