“left early it was so bad”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #78 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Kelso, United Kingdom
“left early it was so bad”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Ive never left a hotel early because of the rooms until I booked into this one so rather than write a big long reveiw ( which I had done initially) Here it is in short form: 1st room given (club room)- extremely badly stained carpets and chairs, duvet cover also stained.Pillows as flat as pancakes-old and smelled. Wallpaper hanging off -some areas attempted repositioning which didnt work.Paint on ceiling in bathroom was so old (old,chipped/marked,antiquated bath and loo) and flaking off it looked like snake skin-damp patch too.Receptionist 'upgraded' me to suite as I refused room. Standard of furnishings,carpets and most of walls in the two rooms were the same as first although bedding looked okay. Rooms had old/musty smell which (I have asthmatic tendancies) left me coughing after only 10 minutes so badly I am still trying to recover some several days later. Duty manager located a semi-refurbished room which I reluctantly accepted as at least the bedding and chair was stain free Pillows though were again old and flat as pancakes. Window had large gap along top sealed with brown parcel tape which contributed to a disturbed night due to noise from street. Bathroom was refurbished with shower above bath. The glass shower screen was fixed so you have to step in and adjust temp of water, floor got soaked as there is no rubber between glass and bath.Carpets really old, smelly and very badly stained-black at edges and for some way out from edge-corridor carpets were same.Air con was not working and as maintenance finished at 8pm I was given an oil filled heater to use. Took a long time for it to heat the room as it had high ceilings but I was freezing during the night.Restuarant-ten minutes after opening and second person there: 40 minutes wait for a plate of soup which was bland (sweet potato with chilli according to menu). Chicken was dry and tasteless-couldnt provide a sauce or even a plain gravy without alcohol as all sauce/gravy made in bulk then split into differant types. Nowhere on the menu does it mention that 'all sauces and gravy contains alcohol which I find disturbing! Chef couldnt make a sauce or gravy there and then(?). Breakfast was good - no problems with anything I had. The only redeeming point the hotel has is the staff-couldnt fault any of them-all very apologetic but I suspect that might be due to the fact they have had plenty of practise! I contacted the booking agent after the first night to move me out to another hotel which they did.I would have left after the being allocated the first room had I been paying but as my employer was paying I couldnt move without cost unfortunatley. The hotel has lovely photos of rooms on the web site-I had seen 3 and can assure you that none looked like the hotel ones! I only wish I had taken my camera. If you want to risk staying in this centrally placed hotel ask for a fully refurbished room and you might get lucky-I certainly wouldnt risk it again. Four star? Not on your life!

Room Tip: ask for a FULLY refurbished one-or better still choose another hotel-even a travelodge is better!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank isikelso

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stopped here 10th January, got to say stopped previously and had a huge room. This time room was tiny and dingy, not good. I wasn't feeling well and had such a high temperature that I slept with the windows open. It was - 5 outside.
My room was at the end of the fourth floor and overlooked the train station next door. The room was clean, tidy but the decor could do with a repaint.
The breakfast next morning seemed fine until I bit into my scrambled egg to crunch down on broken eggshell. After that I couldn't eat anymore.
Could definitely do better with better quality room and ensuring breakfast is eggshell free.
All in all a disappointment compared to my previous stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mcgonads
Aberdeen
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We had a 3 night break at the Millenium Hotel this January, thank goodness we had not looked at some of the reviews before we booked,as it was, the Hotel was great,very central,staff very friendly food very good,I do not know what some people expect,the hotel is a much used one and okay a little bit tired but ropoms were good size very clean and the staff exceptionally friendly. I would recopmmend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We had no complaints at all about the room.
2 Thank mritchie1
hartlepool
Reviewed 23 January 2013

this hotel is in a excellent location-best we have had in 6 visits.the deal included a meal on first night.this was excellent,food,views and staff-especially david-who couldnt do enough for us(after slight problem with drinks.the rooms were very good(4 star),although a bit noisy with air con..gentleman on front desk was excellent as were room staff-will stay here again

Room Tip: check room for noise(we were on second floor
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We booked this very last minute for a birthday in Glasgow (hotel tonight iPhone app).

Upon checkin we were told the room was a twin which isn't ideal but the price reflected that. The elevator on the left of the lobby was very small, but the lobby and the hotel corridors are well kept. Our room was spacious and the bed(s) very comfortable. We pushed the beds together and separated them the next morning which was OK. Room maybe a little dated, but clean and had every we needed. Bar staff were happy to give us a wine bucket and glasses. Hotel is located in the middle of George Square which is central Glasgow and perfect for a night out or if you are shopping.

I'd definitely stay here again for the same price, but I'd probably try for a double at least!

Room Tip: If booked via hotel tonight the room might not be what you expect...
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 January 2013

First review.

We stayed here on Saturday night. Hotel is pretty nice, in an old building. Room had lovely 11ft high ceilings and decent bathroom. We didnt have breakfast. All staff that we dealt with were superb, in particular the young lad behind the desk on Sunday morning, and the doorman who looked after the bags until later our flight later that day. Can't say enough about the staff, brillant.

Hotel is on George Sq, so in the middle of it all. Will return.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking George Sq
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Gourock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed on the coldest day of the year so far.
The welcome and the hotel were not cold at all.
From booking in with Raymond who was hugely helpful to have a drink and breakfast the next morning it was a Great experience.
Situation superb and easily would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for view of George Square if possible.