“Definitely does NOT deserve its 4* rating!!!”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights this month, upon arrival was impressed by the public areas so thought I had made the right booking, especially with the convenient location. However, the rooms are extremely dated and shabby, they clearly carry out no maintenance on them, very tired and outdated, nothing matched, not what I would expect from a 4* hotel. I used the public toilets downstairs once and never again, they were dirty, messy, toilets broken,,,,
The restaurant was appealing to the eye, however on closer inspection, every single chair was stained, the cutlery looked about 20 years old,,,, breakfast was a shambles, sausages not even cooked,
The staff in general, at least the ones I had dealings with were pleasant.
We prepared a letter to the general manager on our first night in order for them to have a chance to respond to our concerns, however this was totally ignored, which made my impression even worse.
I certainly would not consider this hotel for my next break to Glasgow, and being a Travel Agent I certainly would NOT recommend this hotel to my clients.

Room Tip: Book a Different Hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Millennium Hotel Glasgow

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This has to be one of the best hotel sites in the city, with conservatory windows overlooking George Square. Unfortunately, the service in the Bistro to which the windows below is really very slow. One of the strange things about the experience of eating in the Bistro is that a toilet pipe runs down the wall, so when you are enjoying your meal, you can be entertained to the sound of the toilet being flushed to which the pipe belongs.

There are a number of drawbacks with the city centre location of this hotel, the first problem being the car parking - or lack of. I emailed the hotel three days prior to my visit to inquire as to car parking arrangements, and am still waiting for a response. In the end I found the details from colleagues - there is no hotel car park, but you can park on street in Glasgow from 6pm until 8am, with a health warning to make sure you are away by 8 or you may just find that the City Council has taken a shine to your car and removed it!

For a four star hotel, it lacks some amenities that you would normally come to expect - for example a pool or gym. I was advised at reception that the hotel has a relationship with the local university gym which is about 10 minutes walk away from the hotel, and guests can use that.

The bedroom was large for a city centre location, and even though the room I was in had a view of the glass roof of the train station, there was no noise evident. The lighting in the room was best described as 'subdued' and to be honest the room would have benefitted from some additional lighting.

Room Tip: The rooms in the front of the hotel face onto George Square and the rooms in the back to the roof of...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tamnamore
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and chose this for its central location and proximity to the station. Only read the reviews on here after it had been booked and had a panic. Needn't have worried - large & pretty respectable rooms and clean bathroom. Yes there's a bit of noise from outside, but you are in the very centre of Glasgow so some is to be expected...our room overlooked the station so the noise was that of the station announcements but didn't really stop us sleeping. Our room rate didn't include breakfast so can't comment on that, but main foyer was a reasonable place to sit and have a drink whilst waiting for the rest of the group to arrive, Just beware local car parking rates - the Millenium has negotiated a couple of discounts in local car parks - but they range from 10% discount on £22 daily rate to a £10 per 24hr charge at the Beuchanan Galleries so it pays to double check which one you're aiming for before you arrive. All in all a reasonable stay...it's better than Average, but perhaps not quite justifying a score of "Very good" .....pretty good sums it up well.

Room Tip: Some rooms at the back overlook the station - they're away from the hustle and bustle of George...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank salli
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I travelled with 5 other ladies....our request for 3 twin rooms was completely ignored because the staff informed us we hadn't booked direct with the hotel ! (Although we did phone the hotel the day after booking to ensure our request was fulfilled).

The 3 rooms were very different, one large, one medium and one minuscule !

All rooms were very dated, as unwelcoming as the staff and in need of a thorough clean.

As a regular visitor to the city to sum up I would say there are better hotels in the city centre for a more reasonable price......I would not return or recommend !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank hoopsjude
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I should have read the reviews first but it was a last minute booking and a convenient location. I stayed overnight in Room 147 - and found it to be noisy ( generator outside the window ) and bathroom unclean. I called reception at 2230 to complain about the noisy generator. The staff member was helpful in that he offered another room but also said it would go off approx. 2345. I decided to wait and it did had I noticed the hairs in the bath at that time I would have exchanged rooms. I mentioned it again in the morning but felt the staff were uninterested and basically dismissed the complaint. Expectations definitely not met.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

location excellent. the room was small, carpet stains, terrible outlook, and the wind outside had not been cleaned for a long time which gave us a very poor first impression. the standard room is ok for an overnight stay but is simply not comfortable for any longer. we had mixed experiences with the staff ranging from excellent to totally unprofessional. the restaurant staff and bar staff were very helpful and friendly . the front desk ranging from very helpful to disinterested, as much as to say dont bother me i am talking to my colleague,i am just here to collect my wages!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 709anne
Reviewed 13 October 2013

After spending a week in the wilds of the Loch Lomond National Park my friends and I made this our end of holiday stay. The rooms were large and well furnished if a little tired. The bathroom in my room was large enough to hold a small party. Bath sheets, what Bath sheets, huge and fabulous. The down side to my room was that it overlooked the entrance to the Railway Station. I now know what time the first train to Edinburgh departs at 6 in the morning!!!. Also My room overlooked the Air Conditioning Units so noisy most of the day and night! So if you book a stay at the Millennium Hotel ask for a room on the other side of the building. Rooms at the front overlook George Square which is lovely and newly refurbished, a delight.
However all that being said the staff were all very friendly and helpful as our booking was a little mixed up on arrival. On Monday morning whilst waiting for my companions I observed the Front of House manager greeting business customers attending a seminar. He addressed them individually by name as they approached the desk and inquired about health and family. What an asset he is. He was a joy to watch. Later that day my companions and I met up with five friends for a chat. We took up quite a large section of the lounge. We were made to feel very comfortable and staff were very attentive although we only had coffee.
We did not have any meals in the hotel in particular as breakfast seemed quite expensive. BUT
if you are looking for a fabulous cocktail try a Millennium special a 'GLASGOW KISS' wow!!!.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from the Station entrance.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends