“Very disappointing stay, won't be back.”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #80 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing stay, won't be back.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Looking from George Square, where the hotel is located, it looks a really nice large hotel with a glass conservatory on the front filled with people dining. The reception was nicely decorated for Christmas when we were there, and in general appeared quite impressive. Once we checked in however, my original impressions quickly disappeared. The lifts are tiny and wobbly, the hallway carpet almost threadbare in some places and the corridors looked like they desperately needed redecorating. The tiny room we paid £90 for was nothing short of a disgrace. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, there were stains on the ceiling, it was dirty and dusty and the "view" was that of a roof with air con units. The bathroom looked like it was quite new, but the actual room itself looked like staff quarters and everything needed to be thrown out and replaced. I put my bags down on the bed which shot across the floor due to being on very fast wheels, i then fell through the old chair when i sat down on it as it had no bottom in it whatsoever. If i had been elderly i could have hurt myself. My husband had to help me out of it and we went down to reception and complained about the room. The staff were very nice, but we were told there were no spare rooms so they couldn't change us. We really weren't happy about this, but after what seemed some discussion between the staff, we were then offered another room. This room was bigger and a bit better, but still not what you would expect for £90 per night (without breakfast). The bathroom was thick with dust on one of the ledges, and i had to flush the toilet when i lifted the lid as there was paper down it. Made me question if it had been cleaned or not since the last guest. Our view was of the roof of Queen Street Station, and you could clearly hear the train announcements frequently early the next morning. That didn't really matter though as we had already been woken up by a member of staff wanting to carry out some maintenance in our room while we were still in bed, but had got the room number wrong.

On reading the reviews here, it's clear we aren't the only ones who have had this experience. I think it's highly unfair to masquerade a hotel behind a lavish exterior and reception area and charge such high prices for such poor rooms. It's time they brought the parts you can't see from the outside in line with the parts you can see. They've got it good though because of their location - people will stay there because it's so close to The Royal Concert Hall, Queen St Station, shops etc, and presume it'll be nice from looking at the outside.

We won't be back.

Room Tip: Go to the Carlton George Hotel a few yards further down towards Buchanan Street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Arrived today after booking an afternoon tea on 5pm on Wednesday. The 'hostess' looked puzzled as she looked for my booking. 'When did you book?' I replied that it was a few days ago and showed her my 5pm email confirmation. The answer? 'No, you can't have. There is nothing available and there hasn't been for weeks.' She had apparently 'phoned 5pm' to tell them that there wasn't any space available. I asked how I could have received a confirmation etc. She replied that it was an 'automated response so it doesn't say a confirmation.' I was very upset at this point (we had planned this afternoon tea for quite sometime and we were obviously looking forward to it) I said that I was quite disappointed to which the girl replied 'that's 5pm's fault.' Em, no, not entirely! There were plenty seats available and they hardly looked run off their feet. I found (as other reviewers have) the girl quite standoffish and very unhelpful. An apology would have been welcomed!!! I certainly have no plans to ever book to eat here again. The tone and 'welcome' which we received was very unkind. I would avoid.

We ended up in 'Cup Tea' restaurant which I would definitely recommend - the staff were extremely welcoming and the food gorgeous!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Banbridge , Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

After staying at many other millennium hotels, I had fairly high expectations. The Millennium Glasgow did not live up to any of
These. The room was very small (323) the shower did not work and the view of a wall was not exactly what I had in mind. Having said that the reception staff were friendly and helpful and the public areas were well maintained and of course the main reason for staying here is it's location. Smack in the middle of the city centre. I would not stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

After a lovely morning shopping we thought we would try the Brasserie for a lovely lunch. There were no window seats which is fine since we didn't book but after messing about like a headless chicken the maitre d' put us in the corner on our own - again fare enough. We waited a while before she took our order. The starter took 30 mins which was ok but nothing special - never knew haggis neeps and tatties was hard to make. After another half hour our main arrived which was wrong and was told one meal would be another 20 mins and which point we were totally fed up. Poor waiter service and a maître d' who seemed to struggle with the pressure. She did apologise but there was no sincerity in her voice.

Will never go back!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Msdestress
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The over alll state of the hotel is very poof. Watch you don't get room 223..lol. The third floor is like being in "the shining". Dirty rooms with poor decor, the bar is ok but nothing special.....won't be going back again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank funkeebassman
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

As the title suggests this Hotel has a great location. It is central, ideal for the shops and next door to Queen Street Station. That is the only positive comment I have!

The bedroom I had was tired to the point of shabby. Whilst the bed and the bathroom were clean the walls were dirty, the paintwork was chipped and the air conditioning didn't work. Given the radiator was set to full blast cooling the room involved opening the poorly fitting single glazed window and enduring the noise from the train station below to get the temperature to a reasonable level. After a disturbed night due to heat and noise I went downstairs for breakfast. I left hungry as the chairs in the restaurant were so dirty and stained I was afraid to sit on them. As a regular user of Millennium Hotels this one came as a shock as they are usually very well maintained. Not so in Glasgow, I will not be returning.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I haven't submitted a review for some time. However, having read many negative comments about the Millenium, I wanted to submit a positive review. I had afternoon tea using a voucher, this afternoon and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Reception staff were very welcoming, restaurant staff likewise, although our booking wasn't listed, this was managed without a fuss and we were quickly shown to a table. I had booked 3 veggie sandwich options which were lovely and fresh and a carnivore selection for 1. These were also fresh and served on a separate plate. It would have been better to have provided a selection of white and brown bread but this is a minor point. Cakes and scones lovely, coffee plentiful, service great. The ambience in the lovely high ceilinged restaurant was lovely. As good an afternoon tea,in fact better than that served in some much grander hotels, and I have sampled many! Thank you Jodi and team.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends