“Thought this was supposed to be a good hotel but.......”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #74 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We booked this last minute for my partners birthday and we were quite disappointed. We switched all the heating off in the room and the AC didn't seem to be working but the room was still too hot. Our room was overlooking Queens St Station and as we were on the 4th floor, we slept with the window open but were woken at 6am with with their tannoy system announcing trains..
Corridor leading to the room was very tired and in need of some TLC.
Staff were polite but waited 10 mins for a drink in the bar.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,728)

996 - 1,002 of 1,728 reviews

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Husband and I stayed for 2 nights and cannot fault the great location or the staff.The downside is the state of the interior of the Hotel. The reception area ,Dining area and Conservatory are all fine but it is when you get into the lift and go to the room you have been allocated that things rapidly go down hill. We were on the second floor and the decor badly needs attention. Grubby looking and an unpleasant stale smell. Our room was pretty awful . Small,dark,noisy (from the station) hard pillows ,uncomfortable bed. The bathroom was large and clean so that was a plus. We stay mainly in 4 star hotels and have always found them up to standard. Sorry, but this one is not. The Copthorne group need to spend some money on this grand hotel .

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mistyblue46
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I decided to book a stay in this hotel as is seen the entrance foyer and restaurant through the windows which looked very nice and considered it a safe bet given it's prime location.

All was good until I got out of the lift on the 2nd floor into the movie set from The Shining. Not sure if the other floors were any better but this had obviously not seen a lot of maintenance recently. Carpets were frayed, chips in wooden door frames were painted over, pieces of metal were screwed to the walls to protect against over zealous cleaners with rally driver tendencies banging their cleaning carts on the walls.

The room was no better. I had been given the room which directly overlooked the entrance to Queen Street Station (225) which had quite possibly the worst sound proofing in the world.

I could hear every word from every announcement in the station at the same volume with window opened or closed.

The lack of decent windows resulted in a freezing cold room which couldn't be warmed up without turning on a fan heater that sounded like a classic VW beetle starting up.

The bedding was old, tattered and full of holes. The extra warm blanket had stains on it which were crusty and could be picked off. The kettle had a brown stain on it which was not identifiable but definitely not hygienic.

Lastly the plastic veneer was falling off the furniture and it looked like somebody has run an axe along the cupboard door.

This has a 4 star rating by the AA and a shiny plaque on the front door, I'm not sure what they measure this on but it quite clearly is a mistake.

In my view it is quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel and was not worth the money.

Never again

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Scott C
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My past experiences with this hotel have been ok, but I remained loyal. However this most recent trip with my daughter was far from okay. The room was dull and very old fashioned compared to the other rooms. I happened to book last minute and was given what seemed the worst room in the building! Hotel was very noisy and corridors were dirty. When spoke with the duty manager he was very arrogant and did not seem care. I will not return!!

Room Tip: 4th floor is disgusting!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 627maureenB
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the beginning of January 2014.
To start we were greeted by 2 very friendly, welcoming and helpful reception staff, couldn't have been better. The entrance area of the hotel is very nice, clean and warm.
When we got to our room (club room) it was massive, very spacious, clean and bright and also 2 huge windows giving a great view of George Square.
But the room and bathroom were quite shabby, needing a lick of paint or new wallpaper here and there, but nothing major, just a tidy around the edges.
And the windows really let a lot of traffic noise in from outside....I did expect better sound insulation, which I know is hard in a building of such character and being listed makes it hard to change windows etc.
But all in all we had a good stay here and would definitely stay here again....but in a room on the rear of the hotel.

And if arriving by car you should park in Buchanan Galleries car park as the hotel get massively discounted rates in this car park, just get your ticket validated at reception.

Room Tip: Try and book a 'club room' for extra space, and get a room on the back of the hotel for less...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Over Christmas 2013, I stayed for three days with the Millennium Hotel on St George's Square in the very centre of Glasgow.
1. Staff - welcoming, attentive, and cheerful; and always able and willing to help
2. Restaurant - enjoyable, with an impressive choice of dishes (well-presented, too)
3. Bedroom - spacious and comfortable - and, kept in very good order

One day, out shopping in Glasgow, I happened to bump into one of the Hotel staff, off duty - "Och, Hello, Mr Bamber! Are you enjoying you stay?"

Surely this is impressive customer care AND pride in one's City.

Loved it ! My first choice for the centre of Glasgow.

Room Tip: Speak with the Staff at Reception - I found them always very helpful
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I first booked this hotel 3 years ago - for myself and my mum as we like to shop in Glasgow at Christmas, the first year room was slightly shabby (in definite need of updating) although view of George Square was fantastic, hence why we booked for a 2nd year. It was booked well in advance, and I emailed separate to ask for a view of George Square, so when we arrived and checked in and got to our room to find it was at the back of the hotel with NO VIEW, I complained, after being initially told there were no other rooms, they magically found one - which didn't have a direct view of George square but was at the front of the building. We were disappointed and vowed at the time not to come back. Two days after arriving home I received an email from the then duty manager - again apologising and made us an offer to return at a good discounted rate, she assured me we would have a recently renovated room with a direct view of the square - but well yes I am sure you can guess this is not what we got - we arrived for check-in on time but room wasn't ready - after a 20 min wait in the bar we were told it was available - room was nice and renovated but no direct view as promised. Another trip to reception to be told there were no other rooms - and then they magically find one - once looking at this - it was disgusting - cobwebs - dirt - grime etc etc we decided to keep original room - although we wont be back - after asking what happened as we were assured last year that the room would be what we wanted - the Duty Manager I had dealt with had now left, so therefore they didn't care. No apologies were made other than to blame an ex employee. definitely not a 4 Star Hotel. We wont be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family