“Lovely Hotel just a shame the food let it down”

Millennium Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #80 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dalbeattie, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel just a shame the food let it down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Hotel was lovely , Staff very attentive. The rooms are spotless , warm and clean. Everything you'd expect from a 4*. However the same cannot be said for the food. Had a meal in the restaurant , very limited choice . Set menu .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have stayed here on my last two visits to Glasgow & will definitely stay here again. Staff extremely friendly & helpful. Rooms nice & clean, breakfast is fantastic. Located right in the heart of Glasgow. Queen street station next to the hotel & all other major attractions within a few minutes walking distance, Buchanan street, Sauchiehall street. Quick easy drive in from the airport, can catch the bus for a few £ stops right outside the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Tilburg, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I visited the Millennium Hotel for (quite) a large birthday party. We were asked to pre-order food a week or so in advance, which I thought was very clever.

The night itself, I came in dressed in 'warm and functional' clothing and needed to change into something a bit more festive. I asked the receptionist if I could please change in a bathroom, which he only hesitantly agreed to ("Well, you're not a guest in the hotel...")

Fair enough, no harm done. After a short wait in the enormous lobby, we were sent to one of the function rooms. Besides very boring, it was a good size function room.

But then. The food. My fiance and I are both vegetarians and we were quite impressed by the amount of choice when pre-ordering. He decided on having 'veg stroganov' and I had a Moroccan tajine-inspired dish with cous-cous.

The starters (some soup that was 'obviously vegetarian, because it is made out of vegetables', according to a young and unexperienced waitress) were OK. Bland, but OK.
The mains: my meal and my fiance's meal were exactly the same, but with a different sauce. Both had (overcooked) white rice, courgette, red pepper and onion, but his had a brown-ish sauce where mine was red. My (white, cheap, bake-off) pitta bread was tossed on the table after I had finished my meal.

Desert was something I don't remember, to be honest.

Anyway. It's fine to cook food in bulk, we've worked in several hotels who do the same. It's also fine to have a base to use for several dishes, but this was truly bad. There was no protein in this meal, the veg was soggy and boring and presentation in general lacked.

Seriously, we have been working in large hotels for a while and if you guys want any ideas on how to improve these dishes, contact me please. It's not difficult and it will make a big difference. Also, please inform your waiting staff on what they are taking to the table, it's quite embarrassing for them to not know at all what they're serving.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Stayed here in Jan 2014 got a grerat deal ,and the location is amazing.
Iti s next to Queen street train station and also the Glasgow underground.
It is located in George square the centre of Glasgow plenty of shops. bars. places to eat. all located in this area.
The hotel itself is fine ,ok its not 5 star but i would book this hotel next time if the price was similar .
Room was big. bed was huge. and no noise at all, we had a great sleep

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was surprised the see this hotel has quite a lot of bad reviews. I personally had a wonderful stay here with my girlfriend. Got a fantastic deal online and was very impressed with the staff and we had a club room which I couldn't have any complaints about. Overall very enjoyable experience

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WallerSt123
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here before, some time ago and I was really pleased to get booked back at this hotel as the rooms are huge and very comfortable, shame it was only a 1 night stay.

The hotel is really well situated, on George Square and very close (actually right next to) Glasgow Queen Street station so not too much walking with my bags. The main shopping areas, cinma, theatre and bars etc are only a short walk away.

The room was excellent, although my room was that close to the station I could hear all the station PA annuncements but not loud enough to keep me awake.

I have visited Glasgow quite a few times over the years and know some good eating places but as it was pouring with rain I decided to eat in the hotel and that was very fortunate as the food was superb, the pork I had was very tasty indeed. Got to say the dining room could have done with a bit more light, I know the lower lighting levels are meant to give it more atmosphere but for me it made it a bit too dark.

I got a good night's sleep and with it being close to the place I was going, it was only a short walk after breakfast to it wasnt a mad rush.

I look forward to staying there again sometime.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Irvine, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

I Got this hotel at a very good rate (including breakfast!!) At last minute. I know Glasgow very well and knew it was in a brilliant location but had never been inside before.

All the staff were brilliant, very pleasant and well presented, helpful and cheerful.

The room we had was a front facing room (not a club room) that looked directly down queen street and onto George square. The view was lovely, but the room itself was extremely dated and in need of a total refresh.

There was a picture missing from the wall above the bed, and the lampshade on the lamp on the desk was broken badly. The carpets seemed to have an edge of dust, as did the walls in the bathroom and the TV signal was terrible and I couldn't even listen to the radio on the TV as it kept cutting out every 10 seconds or so.

The breakfast in the morning was fine, not worth the £11.95 or so extra that they charge people who don't have it included in the room. You would get a better breakfast in the MANY places around Glasgow for half the price. For a hotel in the middle of the biggest city in Scotland they should be providing an excellent SCOTTISH breakfast ( there was nothing Scottish about it, no Lorne sausage, potato scones) instead of a substandard breakfast buffet.

I would stay here again, but only at the right price and I would request a front facing room, as the station is rather noisy!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple