“Great place”

Peckham's
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: It was a sunny day back in 1982 when we opened our first door and served our first inquisitive customer. A family owned Scottish company, our aim back then with Peckham's was to provide a personal and friendly service while offering foods of the highest quality. The largest and arguably most majestic of the Peckham's sites. Located within Glasgow's thriving Merchant City, this architectural splendour houses a delightful cafe offering a wide range of high quality food and drink including our famous selection of indulgent cakes and sweets. Hidden beneath the cafe you will find our wonderful emporium boasting an array of delectable treats ranging from artisan cheeses and jams to the finest wines, beers and spirits (and everything in between!). Our knowledgeable team will be more than happy to help you find that perfect gift or just a great bottle of wine for a night in.
“Great place”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Arrived with coupon offer .. I had failed to print properly! Meaning we were 3 hours early for the deal! But without any question they prepared the offer platter as we explained we couldn't wait as we would be at airport in 3 hours! Excellent food and atmosphere and we appreciated their kindness and politeness!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Really want to like it but...”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I've been to Peckhams quite a few times now. I've had some really good experiences there but unfortunately, the poor ones really outweigh them.

The relaxing atmoshphere and cosy decor is a good start. However, I feel that the staff themselves can be too relaxed, to the point of not caring. So many times I have gone in, sat down and not been acknowledged. When you finally are able to order, service can be extremely slow for the food you are getting. It doesn't bother me that a lot of their hot food is microwaved, but it's really a problem when it takes 20 mins or more to be served quiche and salad. I do find that the food is very pricey for what you get as well.

I really don't want to nitpick all the tiny details, but I feel they are important. I think this place has the potential to be great, but has let me down on so many levels and too many times. I really hope it gets better, but I don't think I'll be returning any time soon. :(

• Visited July 2012
Lanarkshire
“What happened when I was not watching?”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Something must have happened at Peckham's while I was not watching. I remember it as an outstanding deli but those halcyon days are long gone if today is anything to judge by. OK, credit crunch, people are thrifty and delis possibly do not fare as well as Liddle's do, but courtesy and sheer good sense do not cost any extra to an establishment. After a disappointing bite (perhaps a bad-bite Sunday?) I had the bad idea to take some cakes back home. I adore(d) Peckham's fresh cakes. Take-away slices of cake used to be boxed up in a cardboard box, handy to transport even the crumbliest of their lovely bases. Tonight I was given three slices of cakes to take away in a flimsy, wafer-thin wee paper bag. And when I inquired for a box the waiter looked at me as if I were Ziggy Stardust, and explained that was it. Take it or leave it. He also questioned they have ever used them in any of their branches (I also regularly use their Byres Rd one). To sum up: three slices of cake £12 to take away in two tiny winy paper envelopes (bag would be a misleading overstatement), a super rude waiter and one customer less for life. Question: whose policy is this? Peckham's or the headless guy who mistook the consistency of a cheesecake for that of a brick? And all this bad mood in exchange for £12 (take away). Nevermore, said the raven.

• Visited May 2012
Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great for a light snack”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Great for a light snack but can be a bit pricey. Great location, perfect for people watching.

Visited February 2012
Glasgow
“Hit and miss...”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Peckham's on Glassford Street is one of those places I head to to sit and write/read after work, getting a bite to eat and something to drink whilst killing time until my other half finishes and we head home from the town...
The service is sometimes good, sometimes a bit lacking. It dips into the 'lacking' section a bit more though. Some members are pretty attentive, some distant, bored and miserable. You could be sitting for ages to be seen to, sometimes they're pretty on the ball.
The smiles are a bit forced but I work in retail, I know what that's all about. It doesn't overly bother me to be honest, it's probably something they're asked to do by management. If they have management.
Yes the food is microwaved. Big deal. It's more reasonable than say Tinderbox when it comes to the coffee shop/eaterie department and with a wider range too. Sometimes the Spanish omelettes (tortilla) taste amazing. Sometimes they're completely tasteless and undercooked. The jacket potatoes, most of the time, are filling as hell, with a generous amount of toppings and half a plate of side salad. Don't think of getting a dessert if you get served a mammoth sized jacket potato! Veggie and meat lasagne pretty OK too most days...
The desserts cabinet is always tempting. Sometimes nice, sometimes 'meh'. Oreo cake, creme brulee cheesecake, fresh cream Victoria sponge... all good when they have them in (there's no regularity to what they have in) A mango cheesecake that had no taste of mango in it at all is where the 'meh' comes in!
Sometimes you'll get a pot of tea that'll give you a few decent sized cups. More often you'll get one that's tiny, with even tinier cups that make you *think* you're getting three cups out of a pot, but you're really getting one normal sized cup... Hmm...!
The music is usually a saving grace, they play a mix of stuff (and a lot of the times the CDs jump, which makes me laugh anyway!)... unlike Tinderbox who have the same selection of music in the same order for months on end (which is highly annoying when you frequent them!)
The ambience is a bit low-light. Bit too low light for reading/writing in but it's not unbearable.

Perhaps you can see why my title of hit and miss" from the above review.
Don't think of this as fine dining, to me it's no more than a coffee shop with snacks, and a place for people to chill out after work rather than a place for a romantic or exceptional meals...

• Visited April 2012