“An experience”
Review of Wau Cafe - CLOSED

Wau Cafe
Price range: US$2 - US$6
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opening Hours Tuesday - Friday - 15:00 - 21:00 Saturday - 12:00 - 21:00 Sunday - 12:00 - 18:00
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Very nice welcome when we arrived but it sort of went downhill from then on. It's a small place and pretty basic in all honestly. We were given the menus and a small glass of water before being informed there was no lamb stew and no beef dishes at all. The waiter then arrived replacing what had been the chef who concentrated on the cooking in the kitchen and informed us there was also no Satay dishes available and the dessert was Banana fritter or nothing. We had a mixed platter for two and the Prawn fritters as starters. The mixed platter of Chicken wings, spare ribs, Prawn fritters and spring rolls were a mixed bunch with the spare ribs the bottom of that bunch with the chicken quite nice along with the Prawn fritters. The Mains were along the same line with a fish Curry ok but having way too much sauce which splashed everywhere, the ladies had a couple chicken dishes, one a curry the other chicken wings with rice and a fried egg with the curry very much on the small size but tasty by all accounts. We then asked for another round of soft drinks and guess what, they had run out of diet coke, now this was at 6pm on a Friday evening and they had just opened so full strength Pepsi it was.
It's cheap and the staff are very friendly, it was a Groupon deal and we had a chuckle at things but in all honestly you can't run a business like that and expect to be successful.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I haven't reviewed many restaurants on tripadvisor and none in my hometown of Glasgow. Inspired by such an awful experience, I felt the need to write up this one for Cafe Wau! We went on a Friday night, myself and husband, to use a groupon 3 course voucher. Arrived 6.30 and only one other couple in - fair to say, it was quiet. Eventually our order was taken. Starter took a while to arrive (spring rolls and the recommended prawn fritters) and when it did come, it was seriously over-fried and a little greasy, plus the prawns looked straight out the Iceland freezer aisle. [Note - there were still only a total of four customers in the restaurant at this point, so no real excuse for food being over-cooked I felt]. Between starter and main course, the restaurant quickly filled up when two families came in (it's only a small shop) and the staff seemed quite stressed dealing with the busy burst. The atmosphere was pretty poor - noise of the fryers being most prominent, then the poor wee children that were having to wait ages to be served.

It doesn't have a drinks licence, which wasn't a problem as neither of us were drinking anyway - though some alcohol might have helped numb the pain of waiting so long to be fed! Oh and as mentioned previously by other reviewers, the choice of soft drinks was pretty limited.

When it came to main course the beef rendang was not on that night, which was disappointing (how could they have sold out by only 6.30 when we looked to be the first customers of the evening?), and there was no beef at all. At 8pm our main course finally arrived - nasi goreng and a chicken Malaysian curry. The curry was really tasty I have to say, however the nasi goreng was greasy and the "satay" its meant to come with was just a chicken wing. 1 out of 2 good meals isn't bad though :-)

As it was now almost two hours since we'd sat down, we decided not to wait for pudding - I went up to the counter to tell the waiter, (who was busy heating up meals in the microwave) and we settled for ice-cream instead... which I have no complaints about!

One compliment - the waiter was friendly and constantly apologising, but clearly under pressure / short-staffed as he was in the kitchen helping with the cooking too.

Very disappointing meal, not even worth the £19 we paid groupon, and safe to say we won't be back!

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Went on Sunday for dinner at 5pm.
Place a dive but felt sorry for the waiter in the Woolie hat who served us.
Starter potato cake and potato curry sauce. UGH and I mean ughhhhhhhhhh
It was a greasy pancake and disgusting sauce with 2 one inch cubes of potato???????????????
Main Nasing dish with shrimps and chicken.....hunt the 1cm shrimps and greasy chicken with rice with added frozen vegetables disgusting. Did not eat it !!!!!!!!
We waited 30 minutes for starter and 20 mins after finishing for main.
We did not stay for desert we left feeling so awful.
We will never return and as you know my reviews are honest and well respected. Take heed!

Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is a nice and cosy wee cafe which has a very friendly and polite staff. Food was really good and I would recommend the chicken rendang. I had wau chicken wings as starter, the spices made them really tasty!
Desert was a fried banana with ice cream which I've never tried before and was pleasantly surprised.
It is a wee cafe worth the try.

2  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Was in here last week with my partner and had a lovely meal. Was a wee bit of a wait but was worth it for the food. I had the rendang curry with chicken and my partner had the laksa noodles which were both top notch. Quite spicy the way I like it but was nice of them to ask if I wanted it mild. The highlight was the prawn fritters and their malaysian fruit juice!

I dont understand the problem people have had with the water, it was just simply cold tap water with lemon :S

Highly recommended. Will be back soon.

2  Thank Karl H