“sad to see you have closed”
Review of Wau Cafe - CLOSED

Wau Cafe
Price range: US$2 - US$6
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Opening Hours Tuesday - Friday - 15:00 - 21:00 Saturday - 12:00 - 21:00 Sunday - 12:00 - 18:00
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Shame this great wee restaurant has closed now. They offered value for money, really large portion sizes and the best Mee Kary special around. The only downside was the size of the eatery - it was very small. I'm just hoping you open up elsewhere in Glasgow in a larger space so that more people can appreciate your food. Glasgow will miss you.

2  Thank tracy p

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went to the Wau Cafe last Saturday and we should have turned on our heel and walked out. The place is filthy, the floor hadn’t been cleaned for weeks, the toilet would be closed down by Health & Safety ( goodness knows what the kitchen was like!). The chill cabinet was filthy as well. The food was edible but that was the most that could be said about it. The mains came on green plastic plates supposed to resemble a banana leaf- I assume, but were anything but attractive and I wonder about ability to clean them properly as plastic absorbs so much. The waiter’s apron hadn’t been washed for weeks it was so shiny! Also one of the waiters burped a few times while we were eating. Anything but a pleasurable experience. Worse was to come – we were both unwell through the night and into the next day.
GROUPON should really be checking out some of these places before offering them as deals.

1  Thank Janetta6447
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We visited this cafe with a voucher we had bought from one of the deal websites.

The place is small. Very small. There's one seat that right at the door, and would be really irritating if you had to sit there.

That's the downside. On the plus, the food was really nice, and nicely presented. For a starter my wife had prawn fritters, which were a bit more like what I would have called dumplings, with prawns though them. I opted for chicken wings, and had no complaints.

On to the main courses, and I had kari chicken, and my wife had chicken rendang. The chicken kari was really nice, but the rendang was excellent.

For dessert, it was banana fritters with ice cream. No complaints.

It IS a really small place, but the people are friendly, and the food was pretty damn good. I would definately go back again.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Very nice welcome when we arrived but it sort of went downhill from then on. It's a small place and pretty basic in all honestly. We were given the menus and a small glass of water before being informed there was no lamb stew and no beef dishes at all. The waiter then arrived replacing what had been the chef who concentrated on the cooking in the kitchen and informed us there was also no Satay dishes available and the dessert was Banana fritter or nothing. We had a mixed platter for two and the Prawn fritters as starters. The mixed platter of Chicken wings, spare ribs, Prawn fritters and spring rolls were a mixed bunch with the spare ribs the bottom of that bunch with the chicken quite nice along with the Prawn fritters. The Mains were along the same line with a fish Curry ok but having way too much sauce which splashed everywhere, the ladies had a couple chicken dishes, one a curry the other chicken wings with rice and a fried egg with the curry very much on the small size but tasty by all accounts. We then asked for another round of soft drinks and guess what, they had run out of diet coke, now this was at 6pm on a Friday evening and they had just opened so full strength Pepsi it was.
It's cheap and the staff are very friendly, it was a Groupon deal and we had a chuckle at things but in all honestly you can't run a business like that and expect to be successful.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

I haven't reviewed many restaurants on tripadvisor and none in my hometown of Glasgow. Inspired by such an awful experience, I felt the need to write up this one for Cafe Wau! We went on a Friday night, myself and husband, to use a groupon 3 course voucher. Arrived 6.30 and only one other couple in - fair to say, it was quiet. Eventually our order was taken. Starter took a while to arrive (spring rolls and the recommended prawn fritters) and when it did come, it was seriously over-fried and a little greasy, plus the prawns looked straight out the Iceland freezer aisle. [Note - there were still only a total of four customers in the restaurant at this point, so no real excuse for food being over-cooked I felt]. Between starter and main course, the restaurant quickly filled up when two families came in (it's only a small shop) and the staff seemed quite stressed dealing with the busy burst. The atmosphere was pretty poor - noise of the fryers being most prominent, then the poor wee children that were having to wait ages to be served.

It doesn't have a drinks licence, which wasn't a problem as neither of us were drinking anyway - though some alcohol might have helped numb the pain of waiting so long to be fed! Oh and as mentioned previously by other reviewers, the choice of soft drinks was pretty limited.

When it came to main course the beef rendang was not on that night, which was disappointing (how could they have sold out by only 6.30 when we looked to be the first customers of the evening?), and there was no beef at all. At 8pm our main course finally arrived - nasi goreng and a chicken Malaysian curry. The curry was really tasty I have to say, however the nasi goreng was greasy and the "satay" its meant to come with was just a chicken wing. 1 out of 2 good meals isn't bad though :-)

As it was now almost two hours since we'd sat down, we decided not to wait for pudding - I went up to the counter to tell the waiter, (who was busy heating up meals in the microwave) and we settled for ice-cream instead... which I have no complaints about!

One compliment - the waiter was friendly and constantly apologising, but clearly under pressure / short-staffed as he was in the kitchen helping with the cooking too.

Very disappointing meal, not even worth the £19 we paid groupon, and safe to say we won't be back!