“Great location, comfortable hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel

Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, comfortable hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed in the Glasgow Hilton Grosvenor over the Easter weekend. Really comfortable hotel and very friendly staff. I stayed in one of the newly redecorated rooms. I was on a relaxing break so was glad to have a big, comfy bed, a decent tv, and free newspapers.

One downside is that the hotel is entered via a dark, back door type entrance and not via the beautiful facade seen in the advertising. It's a clean and modern enough entrance but it's such a shame they don't maximize the front facade as you don't get the feeling of arriving at, or staying, in a grand hotel.

On the plus side the rooms are comfortable (luxurious), breakfast delicious and the staff very approachable and friendly. The hotel has been tastefully decorated and feels contemporary inside. The location is ideal for the botanics, the university, the bus tour and the west end shops/restaurants. It's also fairly close to the underground.

Tips:
If you're flying back after your break, ask the hotel staff to order your taxi back to Glasgow Airport - it was less than half the price of the cab we hired from the airport to the hotel. They must have an agreement with a local cab firm.

Restaurants in the west end and Glasgow on the whole close early compared to London etc.(last orders 9pm ish). Shops closed at 5.30pm even on the weekend!

Overall Glasgow is a fantastic city and the Grosvenor a great hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Greek first
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Staying at the Grosvenor made the Glasgow weekend perfect. Nice hotel, nice room and very friendly and helpful hotel staff. The location in the West End, just perfect, so easy to get around. Located close to the Botanical Garden, a nice place for a walk, and with sunny and nice weather every day, what better way to spend a few days off work. Going back to Glasgow, the Grosvenor will be the place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Loraine B, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Mette S

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and our proximity to the Botanic Gardens.
I have taken this opportunity to pass on your compliments regarding the friendliness of the staff and I am also delighted that you enjoyed our recently refurbished rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I took my mother to Glasgow to celebrate her 6-year survivor-ship of cancer and we had a great time in Glasgow. This hotel is beautiful, clean and in a perfect location. The staff is amazing - we had some logistical issues and Shona (front desk) was incredible. She found us a driver - who was a great person - and we ended up having a wonderful time. The Front Desk staff is so friendly and helpful, the general staff is so nice. Each recommendation they made for dinner, sightseeing, etc was spot on. It couldn't have been a better experience. When I go back, this is where I'll be staying.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor were silent! And we didn't face the Bot Gardens, so we got the afternoon sun!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Iagrina Ohio

Thank you for writing your review of the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor.

It is lovely to hear that you and your mother enjoyed your visit to Glasgow, and your stay in the hotel.
I have passed on your comments about our staff, and Shona in particular, to our General Manager and the Head of Department as positive feedback strengthens our commitment to providing great customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your mother back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

Very nice rooms. Staff mainly friendly and with a decent attitude. Good location.

The wireless broadband wasn't very good. My iPad managed to stay online with a weak signal but the iPhone struggled and I eventually turned the wifi setting off.

Noise from Byres Road until 1am. Yes, there's traffic noise, which didn't bother me due to living near a busy road. But, the noise from people leaving the bars on Byres Road kept me awake. Hotel Manager - do you realise how peculiar it looks that you've used the same words to suggest that there isn't usually a noise problem on several responses!? It could be viewed as a lack of interest or that there really must be a problem if a stock phrase has been coined!

Went for my favourite hotel breakfast - the Hilton breakfast. What a disappointment! Didn't have much time so I grabbed a croissant and sat down to enjoy it. All the croissants appeared to be slightly different in shape to any I've had before. They were also very well done on top. When I took my first and only bite I realised why. They were completely raw at the bottom! It was like biting into dough with a crispy topping! I went back to the pastries section and picked up what I thought was a chocolate muffin. It turned out to be an over baked bran and raisin muffin (I think!?). I decided it was best to give up and go elsewhere.

In summary, I would stay here again, but I would request a room farther away from Byres Road and I would breakfast elsewhere.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Paul S
Dear Pascho2000

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the recently refurbished rooms, the attitude of our staff and also our central location.

It was disappointing to hear that you experienced an issue with noise. Due to our location in the heart of the West End of Glasgow which has a very busy nightlife and our close proximity to a main road in and out of the city, some exterior noise is to be expected. As you are aware, the hotel has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment, unfortunately, because the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor is a Grade A listed building we have yet to be granted permission to install Triple glazing. We are however working towards this. If any problems with noise is raised, an alternative room is offered if possible.
I have also passed your comments on regarding your dissatisfaction with breakfast on to the Head Chef to prevent this from happening in the future.

I am glad that these issues have not detered you from staying with us in the future.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

A really enjoyable weekend stay. The room was clean and comfortable, all the staff, at reception, in the restaurant and at the bar were friendly and efficient. The food and service in the restaurant was excellent. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Loraine B, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Leinsterman

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

I'm glad that you found the team friendly and our refurbished rooms were of good quality and will be happy to pass on your compliments to our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Loraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed in just a normal double room which was ample for me and my wife and was very impressive. New decor, clean and fresh. I wouldn't pay standard rates though, we got ours as an intelligent secret hotel!
So much nearby, Byres Rd, Botanic Gardens and the underground gets you into the city centre so quickly. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby if you don't fancy the hotel one.
The staff were very pleasant and I hae to say this was a great wee stay.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Loraine B, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear dtmulben

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit, especially the newly refurbished rooms, our team, and the city centre environment.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

just had a nite out here for a wedding brill night bar staff bit sour faced but place was spotless waiting staff super more than maid up for the bar staff but would still go back

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Loraine B, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Paul M

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and our function suite.

We take all comments seriously here, and I have passed on your thoughts about our night bar staff.

I look forward to seeing you on yoru next visit.

Many thanks