“A Good Stopover Near the University”

Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 21 June 2012

What you need after a Reunion event at the University: bar open on return to hotel with pleasant bar staff; good beds; excellent shower, towels etc.; good breakfast. Quiet enough if you keep the window shut - my wife likes it open! Check-in/out staff helpful. Would stay again if need to overnight in Byres Road / Botanic Gardens area of West End.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Walter M

Thanks for reviewing the hotel.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially that it was convenient for you. I have passed your compliments regarding the staff, breakfast and standards to our General Manager, as well as the relevant Heads of Department.

We look forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards
Loraine Bolan

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here as part of a group of wedding guests attending a wedding outwith hotel.
Hotel has been refurbished recently so decor is lovely and fresh and pale blue colour and furnishings in room are very nice- in fact they are not too hotely! and this I think makes rooms very appealing. Rooms however were far too hot! we stayed the weekend after very hot weather and all agreed that we were pleased we hadn't stayed the weekend before. We did request two fans and these were brought to us quickly. Toiletries in room are of a good standard
Location is great for exploring west end and links to city centre
Breakfast was great and staff were friendly and helpful and there was a great choice of food for breakfast - muffins were amazing for a hotel breakfast
Staff in bar were also really nice we spoke to an older female bar person and she was so kind and friendly
We enjoyed stay very much and the two rooms I stayed in were of a high standard and found them to be good VFM, breakfast and staff also to be commended.

Room Tip: corner room on 3rd floor looks down byres road
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear scotsontour09

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your stay.

It's always lovely to hear when guests have enjoyed their visit as much as you and I have passed on your compliments about breakfast, the room standards and our team on to our General Manager and the Heads of Department as feedback is something we take very seriously here at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor.

We look forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Kind Regards
Loraine Bolan

Reviewed 18 June 2012

The Grovesnor is of course one of Glasgow's traditional high-end hotels - it was originally owned by the legendary Stakis family for decades before Hilton took over the reins in the 1990s. Great location in a delightful old building overlooking the Botanic Gardens, and of course Byres Road just around the corner - the main artery of the West End with its restaurants, bars and the University. The fact that it is Hilton owned means some people get it mixed up with the "big" Glasgow Hilton in Anderston....I've read a few reviews from people who have made the mistake when booking. The city centre is easily reachable via the Subway from Hillhead, but driving along the Great Western Road at rush hour can be a total nightmare. Luckily you don't have to go this way when returning to the airport. Car parking IS a problem at this hotel, the "car park" is a mere half a dozen spaces next to the entrance (these spaces are chargeable), or you may be lucky and park on the terrace at the front for free as this is a public road with no restrictions, but the empty spaces disappear very quickly. If you are unlucky you will be in Waitrose car park next door - which I believe (although I didn't ask about it as I was lucky enough to nab one of the free spaces) has some sort of reciprocal agreement with the hotel.

At reception, I was greeted by a fantastic receptionist who was very chatty, took my HHonors loyalty card and made us feel at home, and the public areas are all tastefully decorated and spotless.

Although it's very classical on the outside , inside the hotel is very modern, looks like the rooms have been refurbed very recently as they are all state-of-the-art modern Hilton in terms of decoration, with big 32" LCD TVs, great bathroom with a very powerful shower, and the bed was soft, but well supported. Although it seems everyone who gets a cheap rate gets put in the rear facing rooms which look onto the back of Byres Road, rather than the glorious front facing ones. If you are at the eastern end of the building, I agree with other reviewers that there is a noisy service elevator which goes whirr-thump, whirr-thump all night long. I suppose you would learn to ignore it after a while, and personally I was intoxicated through being at a function, so I crashed out - but I suppose it'd be annoying if your ears tuned into it.

Breakfast service was OK, they offered me a discounted rate of £7.50 if I booked a table on checking in, as opposed to paying £11-odd if I turned up on the morning. Not the best Hilton breakfast I've ever had to be honest - there was a noticeably smaller selection compared to other Hilton hotels I've stayed in over the years. They try and give it a Scottish flair by offering things like potato scones and haggis, but I found the scones and the bacon rather overdone for my tastes. Having said that it's a nice dining area.

So overall, I paid £89 for one night - very good value when you consider that the so-called "budget" hotels can charge this on busy weekends, and the full rate for a hotel of this standard is usually knocking on the door of £150-£200 so all in all great value, a nice welcome, good room - so I would definately come again. And maybe I will enjoy the breakfast more!

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms have an uninspring view of the back end of Byres Road and Waitrose car park. Nois...
1  Thank Kevin S
Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed here for two nights in early June. Although the room was clean and fairly spacious it was way too hot. This was without the heating on. When we opened the window for fresh air we had the noise and heat from the extractor fans outside as well as noise from bars/clubs which made it difficult to sleep. I barely slept the first night and the second night I got in at 3am so slept slighty better. Would NOT stay here again and wished I had taken notice of previous reviews on here that stated these issues too.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a room that looks out over the botanical gardens if you must stay in this loca...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed at this Hilton for only one night. Got upgraded to a "room with a view". Not much of a view, but the room was new, trendy, modern and fairly spacious for European standards. Location was good for sightseeing and going out. Staff was friendly, breakfast was great and overall we were very pleased. I also stayed at the Glasgow Hilton and would recomend the grosvener over that one. Parking $10 but free parking also available if your lucky enough to get one of the few spots on the north side of the hotel. Overall better than expected and very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself was good especially the location.
To my horror though at the end my stay I discovered that hotel held an extra payment in addition to my room rate the receptionist never warned me when I gave him my debit card that this would happen. Fortunately I got the money back but I won't be using this hotel again because of this outrage.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed here for two nights. I thought the standards of the rooms were good and nicely decorated in a kind of art deco style. Some of the areas around the hotel looked a little shabby The staff I spoke to at check in and around the hotel were really nice and friendly. Our room didn't have a great view but if you want to be located near lots of independant bars and restaurants then this is a good choice. Great pub located in a converted church opposite and the whole area had a a good vibe at the weekend. If the price was right I would stay here again. Agreed that no mini bar etc and can't comment on breakfast as didn't have - there are plenty of great cafes in the area for breakfast at a low price ! All in all a great weekend