“Over priced for what was offered.”

Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
glasgow
“Over priced for what was offered.”
Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

We booked in to this hotel for a 1 night stay as we were attending a wedding in the westend of Glasgow. There were plenty of hotels to choose from but we thought lets push the boat out and book in to "the Hilton" a little bit of luxury!!! We opted for a delux double room at a cost of £119 bed only instead of the double standard at £99 bed only. When we checked in we were offered breakfast at a cost of £7:50 each, which we took as breakfast is served to 11 on a Sunday, so still the chance of a decent long lie. Room 144 situated on the 1st floor over looking Great Weastern Road and Byres Road, nicely decorated in light shades of grey, room windows were really manky, and single glazed, the noise of heavy traffic was none stop. The room also have a couple of minor problems one leg of the computer chair was thick with dust, one robe in the room when 2 guests staying.
We went to the wedding and on arrival back to the hotel we were looking forward to bed, phew we went out like a light despite the traffic still being heavy at 1:30am. I was woke at 3:30 with a alarm going off, don't know if it was the bar below closing or what but boy it was loud, it only lasted a few mins and I drifted back to sleep. 4:35am abruptly woke with bin lorry tipping empty bottles in to truck outside window... I must say at this point the windows were shut!!!!!!!! 6:00am I woke too hot and thought I'd open the 3 windows (how much more noisy could it get)? But this prove to be a challenging task on little sleep, 2 of the windows were locked, which I could not open and the 3rd could open but had no latch to keep it open..... I opted to jamming my shoe in the frame to keep it open!!!!! Luxury????? I should have got a taxi home I was thinking at this point!!!!! As I'm a Glaswegian and only stay south side!!!! But hey this was ment to be time me and my partner could enjoy just the 2of us..... 7:45 woke up with loud music playing. We'd had enough, we got up showered and down for breakfast, the girl that greeted us, was not expecting us as we were not all inclusive, we explained we were asked on arrival that we were offered the £7:50 breakfast. We couldn't fault the breakfast at all buffet style, a good selection of fruit, cereal pastries muffins and a cooked breakfast, lacked 2 things tomato juice and a smile from staff!!!!!
If we were to pay what we thought the room was worth we'd say £70pn.
We both agree we would not go back. Not good value for money.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
lincolnshire
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Made a booking for afternoon tea to celebrate my daughters graduation ( 3 covers) .after the waitress took our order we where told that the kitchen was a wee bit busy and we may have to wait 10 mins ,that would of been ok , after 20 mins with no drinks my husband had to ask if we could possibly have our tea and coffee. After approaching the waitress 3 more times and she did check with the kitchen 1hr 15 mins later our sandwiches and cakes arrived ( do the chefs actually read the checks as our order was wrong as well) .i did complain to the head of F&B . This is totally unacceptable ? Yes they did waive the bill , but I'd rather of paid and got the food I'd ordered in a acceptable time. I hope the hotel actually read this so it doesn't happen again .........

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank yellowbelly1968
, Hotel Administrator at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear yellowbelly 1968

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am disappointed and sorry to hear that on this occasion you did not receive the normal high standard of service you have come to expect from Hilton.
I can assure you that your comments have been passed to our General Manager as well as the relevant Heads of Department to prevent this situation from happening in the future. We take guest service and all feedback very seriously here and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Once again, I apologise for the poor service you received. Should you wish to comment further, please contact me directly at the Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This a classy medium sized hotel with great staff. The location in the West End is probably the best in Glasgow -  quiet but in the best eating area with numerous restaurants of various styles. I would suggest avoiding accommodation in the centre of the city.

Dear Katrina G

Thanks for reviewing the hotel following your visit.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the location of the hotel which is within easy reach of the city centre and in the West End with a variety of restaurants and nightlife. It sounds like you had a great time.

We look forward to you returning to the hotel in the future.

Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Perfect location, very clean, great service! I would absolutely recommend this as the perfect hotel to tour Glasgow! The hop on hop off bus is only one block away by the botanical garden...

Breakfast is fabulous… Full buffet… Plenty to choose from! And the restaurant is beautiful and very comfortable.

The rooms have been recently refurbished… Our room was the deluxe double facing the botanic Gardens I highly recommend staying at this lovely hotel!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear KassB

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I have passed on your compliments about the breakfast buffet and our bedrooms to our General Manager as well as the relevant Heads of Department.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

What you need after a Reunion event at the University: bar open on return to hotel with pleasant bar staff; good beds; excellent shower, towels etc.; good breakfast. Quiet enough if you keep the window shut - my wife likes it open! Check-in/out staff helpful. Would stay again if need to overnight in Byres Road / Botanic Gardens area of West End.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Walter M

Thanks for reviewing the hotel.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially that it was convenient for you. I have passed your compliments regarding the staff, breakfast and standards to our General Manager, as well as the relevant Heads of Department.

We look forward to your next visit.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I stayed here as part of a group of wedding guests attending a wedding outwith hotel.
Hotel has been refurbished recently so decor is lovely and fresh and pale blue colour and furnishings in room are very nice- in fact they are not too hotely! and this I think makes rooms very appealing. Rooms however were far too hot! we stayed the weekend after very hot weather and all agreed that we were pleased we hadn't stayed the weekend before. We did request two fans and these were brought to us quickly. Toiletries in room are of a good standard
Location is great for exploring west end and links to city centre
Breakfast was great and staff were friendly and helpful and there was a great choice of food for breakfast - muffins were amazing for a hotel breakfast
Staff in bar were also really nice we spoke to an older female bar person and she was so kind and friendly
We enjoyed stay very much and the two rooms I stayed in were of a high standard and found them to be good VFM, breakfast and staff also to be commended.

Room Tip: corner room on 3rd floor looks down byres road
Dear scotsontour09

Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your stay.

It's always lovely to hear when guests have enjoyed their visit as much as you and I have passed on your compliments about breakfast, the room standards and our team on to our General Manager and the Heads of Department as feedback is something we take very seriously here at Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor.

We look forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The Grovesnor is of course one of Glasgow's traditional high-end hotels - it was originally owned by the legendary Stakis family for decades before Hilton took over the reins in the 1990s. Great location in a delightful old building overlooking the Botanic Gardens, and of course Byres Road just around the corner - the main artery of the West End with its restaurants, bars and the University. The fact that it is Hilton owned means some people get it mixed up with the "big" Glasgow Hilton in Anderston....I've read a few reviews from people who have made the mistake when booking. The city centre is easily reachable via the Subway from Hillhead, but driving along the Great Western Road at rush hour can be a total nightmare. Luckily you don't have to go this way when returning to the airport. Car parking IS a problem at this hotel, the "car park" is a mere half a dozen spaces next to the entrance (these spaces are chargeable), or you may be lucky and park on the terrace at the front for free as this is a public road with no restrictions, but the empty spaces disappear very quickly. If you are unlucky you will be in Waitrose car park next door - which I believe (although I didn't ask about it as I was lucky enough to nab one of the free spaces) has some sort of reciprocal agreement with the hotel.

At reception, I was greeted by a fantastic receptionist who was very chatty, took my HHonors loyalty card and made us feel at home, and the public areas are all tastefully decorated and spotless.

Although it's very classical on the outside , inside the hotel is very modern, looks like the rooms have been refurbed very recently as they are all state-of-the-art modern Hilton in terms of decoration, with big 32" LCD TVs, great bathroom with a very powerful shower, and the bed was soft, but well supported. Although it seems everyone who gets a cheap rate gets put in the rear facing rooms which look onto the back of Byres Road, rather than the glorious front facing ones. If you are at the eastern end of the building, I agree with other reviewers that there is a noisy service elevator which goes whirr-thump, whirr-thump all night long. I suppose you would learn to ignore it after a while, and personally I was intoxicated through being at a function, so I crashed out - but I suppose it'd be annoying if your ears tuned into it.

Breakfast service was OK, they offered me a discounted rate of £7.50 if I booked a table on checking in, as opposed to paying £11-odd if I turned up on the morning. Not the best Hilton breakfast I've ever had to be honest - there was a noticeably smaller selection compared to other Hilton hotels I've stayed in over the years. They try and give it a Scottish flair by offering things like potato scones and haggis, but I found the scones and the bacon rather overdone for my tastes. Having said that it's a nice dining area.

So overall, I paid £89 for one night - very good value when you consider that the so-called "budget" hotels can charge this on busy weekends, and the full rate for a hotel of this standard is usually knocking on the door of £150-£200 so all in all great value, a nice welcome, good room - so I would definately come again. And maybe I will enjoy the breakfast more!

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms have an uninspring view of the back end of Byres Road and Waitrose car park. Nois...
1 Thank Kevin S