“Some highs, some lows”

Ranked #47 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Caldicot, United Kingdom
“Some highs, some lows”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Had high hopes after an absence of two weeks. All problems relating to Internet access resolved on last stay but major problems yesterday. Had extremely slow service for 25 mins and then lost connection all together @ 7.45pm until 8.10 am this morning. Raised matter with reception; had personal visit from duty manager @ 8pm who advised this happened regularly on a Monday (the day they change their password). He said he would ring Internet team and I would be kept updated; last I heard.
Whilst the hotel has many things that puts it top of my list as a place to stay, as a person who regularly works away reliable Internet access for keeping in touch with friends and family. Even now I can only get a low wifi signal from my room. If I want any thing better I need to go down to reception, where I really don't want people hearing my conversations.

• Stayed May 2012
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for talking to me yesterday and for all your help. I really do appreciate you letting me know the issues that you experienced with your wifi connection, which as we discussed was very frustrating to learn about as we have no reported issues and you yourself even mentioned your colleague stayed on the same floor the last time.

I have being in contact with BT Openzone and I have been assured that they will investigate that particular floor and device to ensure that we do not experience any further issues - once again please accept my apologies for this and be assured we will continue to work with BT to eradicate this issue.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and look forward to returning in September and I do hope that I have opportunity to meet up with you then.

Kind regards

Philip

Regional General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have been to the Menzies Hotel in Glasgow four times now this year alone whilst Ive been studying my Diploma.I initially chose the Menzies hotel due to the Health Spa and swimming pool available.
Since my first trip I knew I would be back for my business trips and have even been on 2 family trips aswell.I find the staff very friendly and helpful,they seem to take the busy times in their stride and still provide a professional service.Facilities in this hotel are second to none,Sauna,Spa,Gym,Parking,Swimming Pool the list goes on.Theres good traets for the Ladies in the Spa with various treatments on offer.Food is good and its always nice to have a good choice in the Bar area

Room Tip: I choose the executive rooms as they are great value.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Albany, NY
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Nice size and very clean rooms.breakfast buffet very nice. Light meals available in the evening at the lobby bar. If seeking SPA services, be sure to make advanced reservations. Friendly and hard working staff. The stop for the hop on hop off tour is nearby

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2012

As part of a fleeting trip to Glasgow I stayed at the Menzies Glasgow. The hotel was well located to Glasgow Central Station and apart from the weather it is within easy walking distance.

The one minor downside was that the room smelled dusty even though it was very clean. On detailed inspection the heating/cooling system vent above the door looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months. But I stress this was a minor issue

Room Tip: The area where the hotel is situated is very quiet so there doesn't seem to be any issues with r...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback.

I was however saddened to read that you room felt musty and that the air-conditioning vent was dusty and could have contributed to this – I have asked my Head Housekeeper to have all the rooms inspected and add the vents to our daily task to ensure this does not re-occur.

I am also sorry that you did not call down to reception and report it, as I am sure had we being given the opportunity we would have done all we could to resolve this to your total satisfaction

Thank you again for submitting your great review.

Sincerely

Philip
Reviewed 16 May 2012 via mobile

A well situated hotel with good facilities, however for the second time running the toilet in the room malfunctioned (flush jammed on). Also bar menu is limited and overpriced, otherwise a good place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at the hotel and would highly recommend it. I enjoyed the health and fitness facilities especially. The breakfast was excellent with lots of choice. Will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 5 weeks whilst on business. During this time I only had one problem with free wi-fi but for rest of my stay it was perfect. The staff are extremely helpful and courteous. The food in the restaurant is of a very good standard and the chef has to be commended for the quality and presentation of his food. The rooms are serviced to a high standard and are very large and comfy and although a main road nearby I could not hear any noise. I was there during my birthday and dining alone and the staff made my day by a rendition of happy birthday and a birthday cake. Little touches like that show the attention to detail which is reflected in all aspects of the hotel
One point needing addressing is that every Sunday they did have large groups staying and so the evening meal was not available until 08:00pm although it is advertised in hotel services as 07:00pm

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business