“Very good hotel”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We were a bit apprehensive when the taxi drew up, as the exterior looks a bit grim, but inside was a very good hotel. The reception girls were very helpful when we enquired about local sight seeing. The room was large and comfortable. The leisure centre was well equipped with a large pool and gym.The only problems were with service. At dinner we placed our orders but our drinks order was misplaced, and ultimately our drinks were served after we reminded the girls twice and I went up to the supervisor. On our last morning I was out at a meeting, and a member of staff knocked on our door and brusquely asked my wife what she was doing in the room as 'this room is supposed to be empty since last night' , and was quite put out when my wife suggested she check with reception

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,204)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Brill hotel ...staff very friendly and most helpful... my stay was perfect in everyway........Im fussy with food ......no problem to adjust the menu ..... will be back and highly recommend to friends ..secure parking is another bonous .......Everyone was very friendly .. fantastic value for money

Room Tip: i was on the first floor .... no problems at all
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank g w
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Good hotel. Stayed a few times now when in Glasgow on business. Leisure facilities good. Room a little musty and agree with other reviews that Reception staff are not friendly enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2012

First time we have stayed in this hotel. It is very handy for the M8 being only a couple of minutes from the junction and only about a 10 minute walk to the main rail station. The hotel is not in the prettiest of areas, but the room was a good size and very clean, the car park is opposite the hotel and is very reasonable at £3 a day. There is a gym and a pool at the hotel and free wifi is available throughout the hotel which is a vice extra. Breakfast was good, but not the biggest selection I have ever seen. Staff were all helpful and there were no issues during our stay. There are lots of nice restaurants within walking distance and the city centre is walkable. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor overlook a car park from the office next door to the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I've stayed at this hotel about 5 times now as generally it's a good hotel with a decent pool which is fairly quiet, and it has smoking rooms. However, there just always seem to be a lack of attention to customer needs.
For instance, I went to the pool but there were no clean towels. The girl said she'd bring one through to me when one was available, but one never appeared.
I later ordered room service. There are no starters on the room service menu, but they allowed me to order one from the main menu. I asked if the Caesar salad had anchovies in it, and was assured that there wouldn't be any in mine. When it arrived it looked lovely until I moved the lettuce and saw a fish staring back at me! I rang room service and ordered the steak instead, but received no apology for their mistake. I had also ordered the cheese board but this was rather sparse with a very stale piece of cheese on it so I also sent this back, but again no apology.
However, I wasn't charged extra for the steak, which was lovely, and they also did not charge for room service.
I intend to stay here again but because it suits my personal needs as opposed to the service received.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012

do nOt use ths place: staff rude, holes in breakfast room, room stinks horrifcally and staff are very rude

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear 10234987

Thank you very much for your feedback in relation to your stay with us in August of 2011 last year . Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disappointed with your visit and for the issues that you experienced with your stay and I can assure you that they are certainly not indicative.

I did try to contact you directly through the site so that I could learn more about your stay and your comments but to date have not had any response and would appreciate you contact me directly.

I have had the opportunity to investigate you comments as much as I can and I was very concerned to read you feedback in relation to the restaurant where you mention there were holes in the breakfast room – this I am totally at loss to explain. I personally inspected every area of the restaurant and cannot find the holes you mention in your review and we have not altered the restaurant since your stay.

You mentioned that your room stinks again am at a loss here, we did last August undertake a major project of carpet replacement and found that the underlay had a strong “Glue” style of smell which took a lot longer than usual to dissipate – which was highlight to the suppliers but it was by no means a poor smell more a newness.

I was also very concerned to read about the comment in relation to staff being rude which I am very shocked at reading and I am sure you will have noticed that comments that we receive are normally on how positive and friendly all our staff/ teams are throughout the hotel.

We have no log of any of the negative feedback in the Duty Managers handover over the period you mention and considering the serious of your review I am sorry that you did not highlight this to my management team as I am sure had you done so we would have done all we could to rectify the issues and ensure your stay was memorable for all the right reasons.

I have shared your review with my team to ensure this does not happen again in the future and be assured the service you experienced was not indicative and I can only apologise for this shortfall.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the future and would ask that you contact me directly at philip.mellor@menzieshotels.co.uk should you have a requirement

Kind regards

Philip

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Excellent value for money.Walking distance into the city centre and also the SECC.
Rooms are a good size . Buffet Breakfast good quality.

Room Tip: Apparently they have corner rooms which are larger than normal rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business