“Friendly”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #46 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with my daughter as going to gig at SEC Hydro.
Location was excellent for this purpose...just a 10min walk to gig :)
Check-in was fast and efficient with all the information needed regarding our stay given without having to enquire. Room was cosy, clean and comfortable with all amenities required. Power shower was amazing....and with no faffing about with temperature, just perfect :)
Only 2 complaints: firstly, we ate in the bar before the gig and, although the food was delicious, we waited approx 35mins for it to arrive! We didn't expect "fast" food, but it wasn't busy at all and we'd only ordered soup, a toastie and a burger...... secondly, (and it is minor) is that we could hear the music from the bar when we settled down for the night :/
That aside, the breakfast was fab, the staff were all friendly and we had an enjoyable time :)
If I'm ever attending the SEC Hydro again I will certainly stay at the Menzies! :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,234)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just recently returned from Glasgow on a business trip and was really pleased with this hotel. The staff were all really friendly (just like the local Glaswiegians!) and no request was too much trouble. The Bar Staff were also very friendly and made everyone feel very welcome. Breakfast was a very good extensive Buffett and the bar meals were good too. My room was very good and the bed was comfortable, the bathroom looked slightly dated and the sink was cracked otherwise it was a good size and well furnished. All in all I would definitely stay again on any return to a great City.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Worth the four stars. Well places in central Glasgow, convenient for the station and an ample car park, even if you have to pay extra for it. Rooms were well furnished and spacious. Not the cheapest hotel restaurant but very good quality food served by a young and friendly staff. Staff helpful and pleasant throughout. Would happily recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A four day business trip to Glasgow, at late notice, required a three night stay somewhere. Regular Trip Advisor readers will know my hotel preferences in Glasgow, but unfortunately these were either full or asking way too much for a late booking, so arrangements were made with the Menzies.

I arrived very late on a Tuesday evening, at around 11:00pm following an appointment in Newcastle earlier that day. The weather was "typically Scottish" for late November, but I was pleased to find one of the three parking spaces directly outside the hotel empty – there are another two reserved spaces for disabled guests beside these. The hotel asks that you move your car across to the street level car park over the road to leave space for people to unpack - an excellent idea! As I was the last to arrive that evening I was told it would be OK to leave my car there and move it in the morning.

Check-in was expecting me and I was soon on my way up to room 701 on the top floor. This was one of the executive/larger rooms, and it was a good size with two arm chairs and a large sofa, along with plenty of floor space and a full size king bed. I was pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary soft drink mini bar, with water and fizzy/soda options, along with chocolate and pre-packaged fruit etc.

The bathroom had a good sized bath with shower over this. My pet hate of a shower curtain was the only option here sadly, but the bath didn’t have the annoying narrowing in the middle so a bath was my preferred option that evening. A quick shower each morning was fine, and despite being on the top floor the water flow and pressure were both excellent. Good quality and plentiful fluffy towels were replaced each day in the bathroom during my stay.

The bar area was open when I arrived and quickly prepared an evening snack for me as I had missed dinner. This was quickly delivered by friendly and helpful staff. This was both hot and tasty and very much appreciated after my 600+ mile drive north via Newcastle.

After a good night’s sleep I found the breakfast buffet to have a good selection. On request from the serving staff, I soon had a pair of soft poached eggs on brown toast - exactly as ordered. I added other items from the hot buffet. The selection was good, and included both porridge and haggis along with the more normal sausage and bacon. I love the potato pancakes you get here with breakfast too - much better than the more traditional hash brown offering "down south".

Throughout the remainder of my stay I used the hotel car park across the road in the grounds of the old school house. This has a high security fence and requires a code to enter as a pedestrian or leave in a car. You give you car registration to the staff at check in and they give you this code - the cost is a very reasonable £4 per night. BEWARE: the code changes daily so ensure you get the new one from reception before leaving the hotel each day. Having to call reception on your mobile when blocking the exit gate is not appreciated by others waiting to get out!

The other issue for some would be crossing the road to the car park late at night. The hotel is located at the end of a no through road. The buildings leading up to the hotel are a mixture of industrial units/warehouses and offices, so there are not many people about later at night. People concerned about being out alone in the dark (street light) may not be so happy going across to the car park – although the car park itself is well lit at night and I had no problems during my stay.

I was quite busy during this stay, so did not get a chance to use the leisure facilities at the hotel. I did overhear others complimenting these, and the view into the pool/spa area was quite inviting.

If my preferred hotel in Glasgow was unavailable I would certainly consider staying here again. The hotel also has a "loft appartment" option, so I would probably go for this rather than the exce room option next time. The staff are great, very friendly without being over familiar, and the hotel is clean and well maintained. Whilst the location is not perfect, it is close to the town centre and you can walk to the many bars and restaurants in 10 – 15 minutes. There is also plentiful parking in the town centre, so if not drinking you can take the car – probably best during the cold and wet winter months IMO.

Room Tip: The appartement option is better value than the executive rooms IMO
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Huge room. clean and lovely big bed. The staff in the hotel couldn't have been anymore helpful and very accommodating. We had our 2 year old daughter with us and 2 of the staff from the hotel (Alex and David) let her help decorate the tree in the evening, gave her toys to play with and colouring pad and pens. She also got free ice cream and drinks on check in and in the evening and upon our check out. Swimming facilities were good as well and we found all the staff to be very helpful. Nice choice of breakfast available. All in all great stop over and very child friendly. Very good deal price wise as well. Will def be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Nice big room

The room and hotel were very clean. Spa area nice too.
Good food
Really friendly staff

10 minutes walk from Glasgow Central - though the area you walk through is not pretty.

Stayed in a lot worse places.
Would go again

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Four of us were up in Glasgow for the recent Jools Holland concert and with the two closest hotels to the SECC and Hydro being full we were left looking for a hotel nearby so that we did not have too far to walk on a cold November night.
The Menzies Hotel is ideally situated between 5 and 10 minutes walk depending on how fast you walk. It is also just a 10 minute walk from the shopping centre.
We had looked around and being in the Marriott Rewards scheme we looked at the Marriott which is straight across the road from the Menzies, but when we realsied that Menzies were charging the same price for a D,B&B rate as the Marriott wanted for room only, there was only one winner.
The bedroom was very spacious for a business hotel, with the most powerfull shower I have ever experienced in any hotel, which was great. Bed was large and comfortable.
Breakfast was good, nice selection of cereals etc, though the hot items were not the warmest they could have been, there was also an option to have Smoked haddock instead of the usual Scottish breakfast. Though we were on a D,B&B rate we were eating elsewhere for dinner, but the lady at Reception told us we could take lunch instead, which was appreciated. Parking is limited in their car park, but we managed to get in. There is street parking, but you would only park there after the meters are finished.
The bar in the evening was well staffed and comfortable to sit in and not too expensive.
Overall a very nice hotel, attentive pleasant staff and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple