“Such a disappointment”

Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Craignure
“Such a disappointment”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The Menzies didn't come near our expectations of the average four star hotel and we were most disappointed with everything other than the staff who were friendly and helpful and the excellent car park. The hotel allocated an executive room with a known problem resulting in our having to keep the window open for the duration of our stay. In November this is not ideal! (We were told the hotel was full so we could not change rooms.) We have been given a complete refund after much correspondence.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Mrs P W,

Thank you for placing your review on tripadvisor and for speaking to me on the telephone at such great length. I was sorry that the room we had allocated had suffered from damage from the previous guest flooding it and that we had not rectified correctly for your arrival and really should not have been let and my sincere apologies for this. I am pleased to confirm the carpet has changed around the entrance the room present as it should.

Your other comments to me about comfort of bed, choice of hot chocolate and coffee are as we discussed subjective but we take them on board. As we do your feedback on the style of bread, bacon and sausages that we utilize in the hotel.

In relation to your refund as I mentioned this delay was specifically your agent who you had booked with then had to refund you two separate ways

Thank you again for your time and feedback

Philip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gourock
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Written several reviews on this hotel and again it never fails to impress. Stayed in several different rooms over the last few years and it is a shame other hotels do not allocate the same floor space as Menzies. They are always spacious, warm, clean and the bed is top notch. Best bacon bap in town also. Highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
greenock
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

First visit here for a Christmas party night wasn't overly impressed, room was tiny, dance floor size of a stamp, drink prices extortionate, food portions tiny and not that great, dessert tasted like had been plated up and sitting around for hours waiting to be served.

End of night as soon as music finished whole room was told to be quiet as we were disturbing the hotel guests now I could see if this was 1 30 but right after music stops, why have a party night finishing at 1 if you want to gag everyone as soon as it hits 1. As soon as this was shouted at us an extremely rude member of staff asked the room did we not understand english???? As people were chatting to each other, chatting not shouting!!! When we asked another member of staff the rude staff members name he refused to tell us and advised he was the operations manager, when we asked this staff members name again we were told he did not know his name now either this hotel has extremely poor communication between its staff or all staff members are trained to be rude!!!

First and last visit will certainly not be back would rather spend my £40 in an establishment where I'm not asked if I don't understand English. Surely wether your customers understand English or not is irrelevant as I don't see anywhere on the website advising you can only be a customer at this hotel if you are fluent in English.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank pamsx
Dear Pamzx,

Thank you for placing your review on the site and I was sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your party night. I have now had the change to investigate the night and would just comment as following.

You mention the food - at no point did you mention to any of the team that you were not happy with the cuisine that was offered and your table was checked after each course I am sorry you did not give us the opportunity to rectify your concerns. The size of our portions I would have to say is particular large to try to cater for those that just need to the fuel to help them have a great night. And from the room that night I received a lot of written thanks for the food and what a great night.

In relation to the remarks at the end of the night I would just comment that your table had become particularly loud and abuse to our staff in particular a polite male team member who was constantly having the fun taken out of him as he is not a local.

Your table was asked to keep the noise down and stop this on a number of occasions and not just at the end. As I am sure you aware aware licensing law's in Scotland are particularly tough in relation to public nuisance and public safety.

The Manager was left with no option but to clarify with your table that you all understood as it was become apparent that this was not the case and had to try to inject humor by saying do speak English to get some comprehension. Sadly you all decided not to help and were asked to take you drinks to the lobby and drink up.

I am sorry that you felt the stance was wrong but sadly we had no option, I would just comment that another guest and not sure if it was your party came and thanked us for what we had done.

Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed for two nights in the Glasgow Menzies Hotel. Very comfortable, spotless and welcoming.
Car parking facility great as did not need car whilst in Glasgow. Pretty central only 10 minute walk to main Shopping and restaurant areas. Would stay again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I have stayed at the menzies Glasgow many times over the past 10 years and like the size, location and facilities available. No problems with Check-in room, breakfast or bar staff. Had a very poor dining experience on our 2nd night, I could write a full report but will summarise, no real problems with starters but portions were very small. Main course, belly pork was ok but my wife's choice chicken ( overcooked) served with a potato rosti which was totally inedible, saturated in oil and the potato was grey in colour, we did complain to the waiter who in turn spoke to the head waiter, but sadly he did nothing. For dessert we Chose to share a sticky toffee pudding (fine) and then retire to the lounge to share a cheeseboard and tea/coffee. We were presented with coffee, tea (ordered earl grey), and a cheeseboard with very dry cheese no butter, no plates and 1 knife and 1 napkin, very poor for a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear H.... thank you for placing your review on the site and for speaking to me with regard to your stay. As I mentioned your experience is certainly not indicative and a period of retraining of the team members has now taken place to ensure no future repeat.

It was great to hear that you really enjoy coming to the hotel and have over the last 10 years had many happy stays and I am sorry that on the last occasion we did not live up to this. It was very positive to hear that your experience has not put you off using the hotel and I note you will contact me next time you are looking to stay.

Thanks again for your very positive feedback but also for highlighting the area we need to work on.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Just to let you know Menzies Glasgow still as good as ever. Excellent service, very friendly and helpful. The rooms and facilities great as ever. If you go and stay don't forget to have a swim! Its a very relaxing - an ideal way to unwind from the working day. To finish of my stay a had a tasty cooked breakfast. Great offer usual.Thanks Chef!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with my daughter as going to gig at SEC Hydro.
Location was excellent for this purpose...just a 10min walk to gig :)
Check-in was fast and efficient with all the information needed regarding our stay given without having to enquire. Room was cosy, clean and comfortable with all amenities required. Power shower was amazing....and with no faffing about with temperature, just perfect :)
Only 2 complaints: firstly, we ate in the bar before the gig and, although the food was delicious, we waited approx 35mins for it to arrive! We didn't expect "fast" food, but it wasn't busy at all and we'd only ordered soup, a toastie and a burger...... secondly, (and it is minor) is that we could hear the music from the bar when we settled down for the night :/
That aside, the breakfast was fab, the staff were all friendly and we had an enjoyable time :)
If I'm ever attending the SEC Hydro again I will certainly stay at the Menzies! :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family