“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #47 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was the 2nd time I stayed here with my boyfriend. The room was really lovely! Has an excellent time and was sad to leave. Would definitely return here. Nothing is too much trouble for staff. It's also amazingly peaceful and quiet in the rooms! :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Nothing is any bother in Menzies. We arrived early from the airport and having explained this early check-in was not a problem. A sauna and steam was just what was needed and the temperature was perfect. The room was clean and the breakfast as good as always with its home-made bread and good selection of cooked breakfast and fruit. Coffee and juice are also good. Check out was quick and efficient.

sheffield
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed for 3 nights over the new year period. On arrival we were invited to have complimentary drinks at the bar. The rooms were excellent and the superking sized bed was so comfortable.
The staff were efficient and courteous, nothing was too much trouble, even the hotel manager assisted the staff by helping out in the restuarant!
Three card trick trio entertained us on new years eve and they had everyone up dancing and singing, the only disappointment was the lack of a tradional Hogmany it would have been nice to have had a piper at midnight.
We travelled as a coach party and all had a good time.

Room Tip: Our party stayed over 3 floors all were pleased with their rooms
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Having stayed at this hotel with the same package deal last year, we were expecting the same fantastic stay that we had got the previous year. We were checked in by Lisa, and found her manner to be very bubbly and cheery, just what we wanted for our Xmas stay, we were given rooms on the 7th floor which we thought was a bit out of the way considering the hotel wasn't at all fully booked, but the rooms were great, although for a 76year old, a room not so far away would have been better, but we certainly couldn't complain about the rooms, they were both lovely.
The staff were very helpful, some more than others, Stuart who is assistant manager really needs recognition for the job he does, he really is a credit to the Menzies chain, his hard work and manner is second to none, and it's down to him that we would return to the hotel. Attention to detail really needs to be addressed with the staff that were on over Xmas, no lemon in the gin and tonic, the cocktails served in a standard coke glass hardly what you would expect when paying £7.95 for a cocktail !!!!,
The food was faultless, although a wee bit slow at coming out, but Stuart soon sorted that out too !!! A massive thanks to the chefs for there hard work.
The entertainment by Donnie was just fab.... I danced the nights away, he's a great entertainer, who was always happy to play what you requested !!!!
I must say I was surprised to see a dog roaming about the hotel, I'm petrified of them so felt a bit uneasy at times, think I was just surprised to see one there.
On a whole the Xmas package is well worth the money and like I said, made by the hard work of the staff especially Stuart.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a lot lighter as more windows.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Having stayed many times at this hotel over the last ten years and after having such a good time on last years New Years Package we returned for this years New Year Package, All the staff as per usual were very friendly, courteous, efficient and helpful. The entertainment was once again excellent, the organist playing and singing on first night was very good and welcomed requests and the trio on New Years Eve were also good.Unfortunately the night came to a slightly earlier finish than we would have liked as my wife had an accident. I would like to thank both managers David and Paulene who showed such professionalism, concern and helpfulness whilst dealing with the problem and special thanks to Brian who organised the transport to and from the hospital.Hope to see you all if not before then next New Year

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at Menzies for a new year break! Our room was so disappointing the beds were like sleeping on concrete and we had rain water pouring and dripping all night through our window and hence why our shades all had water marks all over them.We ate dinner at the hotel the first evening and the meal was fine apart from having to return my potatoes as they were raw and we also got charged for asking for bread as i was having soup as my starter and expected it to come with a bread roll or sliced bread! The staff were very unpleasent and grunted when we asked for anything! I tried to arrange an appointment for a facial or treatment but was told by several confused members of staff that it was nothing to do with the hotel? They could not tell me anything as it was nothing to do with the hotel and it was a franchaise which was not there concern.The beauty shop did open the morning we were leaving so i didnt get my facial as yet! Overall we will not be returning to this hotel and are disappointed the standards were so poor for a 4 star hotel!

1 Thank 1annemaree1
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear 1Annmarie,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls, I have since you stay had all rooms checked and it would appear that a seal around the window had failed and due to the heavy rain that we experienced it allowed water through the window on to the sill. I am at a loss as to why the shades had water marks as they are some distance from the window and can assure you this is not indicative and I am sorry you did not highlight this to the team so we could have taken appropriate action.

I was very concerned to read your comment in relation to the Brasserie not only in relation to the cuisine but also the team members as the comment that our team been grumpy and unhelpful is certainly not reflective of the service we offer and please accept my sincere apologies for these shortfalls.

I am sorry that your experience was disappointing and I can assure you that this is certainly not the norm as I am sure you can see with regard to other reviewers that stay during the Hogmanay celebrations. As I mentioned I am very sorry that you did not speak to my management team about your concerns as I am sure that given the opportunity we could have resolved the issues to your satisfaction.

I do hope that we may at some point in the future welcome you back and when you next have a requirement please contact me directly

Sincerely

Philip
Sheffield
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Had a 3 day stay inc. Hogmanay. Very comfortable stay, food good, breakfasts self service excellent choice. Staff very friendly, courteous and efficient. Only disappointment was the lack of traditional Scottish entertainment which the folk from south of the border would have liked, however the group were enjoyable. Would certainly visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends