“Really good hotel and great value for money”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I recently stayed for the first of a series of business trips at Menzies. I found the reception staff very welcoming, my room was tremendous (I had booked one of the apartment type rooms) giving me space to relax and work. My colleague commented that her room was also great.
The food in the bar was good and service first rate, I am now looking forward to the coming trips and regular stays at this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Graham H

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We booked a well earned break, bed and breakfast with an evening meal on the night of our choice. The price we were quoted was fantastic considering it was a Sat/Sun night in December, a Saturday night in a hotel in Glasgow can usually cost a wee fortune. When we arrived the young lady on reception could not have been more helpful even to the point of informing us that it was their Saturday Christmas Party night but we would not be disturbed as our room was away from the function suite, she also gave us all the information regarding what was available in the hotel including the pool and spa. We could not have asked for a better selection at breakfast, from healthy eating to the good old Scottish Breakfast, staff in the dining area were friendly and professional. We decided to dine on the Sunday night and boy we were not disappointed the food was out of this world, we both ordered steak and they were cooked to exactly how we both liked them. Room was great, fantastic beds, everything we required. It was great to sit in the bar area and watch the world go by while having a nightcap. I would definitely recommend the Menzies, in fact we have already done so. So thanks for a great break.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Hotel is very clean warm and staff are very friendly. We had dinner on the first night it was really good. It was very good value for money and its only 5 mins to the shops, we used the pool which was a good size, we didn't use the spa but it looked really nice. Only down side was the bathroom in room could be doing with updating, but it was clean.Will be back.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for weekend last feb 2013 as he was on karate course so we didn't no were about course was from
Hotel or wat bus or train was best to get we ask the reception staff and they wasn't sure we went to r room within 30 minutes we got a phone call from reception with bus timetable and train timetable which all end to this place were karate course was on they were so helpful and went out there way to find the information out we needed we lined the atmosphere and friendly staff we have booked it again for this feb we r bring our 11yr old son and my parents this time the rooms were lovely breakfast was nice pool area and spa was lovely we can't fault it and staff were lovely

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

9 family members spent 3 wonderful nights here from 24th December.
Attention to detail was the overall impression.
From the Christmas card,personally signed by the hotel team, to a stocking from Santa hanging on our bedroom door on Christmas morning, the whole experience was magical.
General Manager, Phil, was on hand at all time, supervising friendly staff and overseeing delicious food at every meal.
Fun and games abounded for those who wanted or there was always a quiet corner to chill when a bit of space was required.
Bedrooms are spacious and super comfortable. Public areas are bright and festive in an elegant way.
A very competitive rate for the package provided a 5star break for 3star prices.
Roll on Christmas 2014 -we'll be back!
Oh, how COULD I forget? Even Santa found time, in his busy Christmas Day schedule, to pay a quick visit, thrilling "kids" from 1 to 92!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This place was great, a very easy check in by very pleasant staff, the room was comfortable and clean, the pool was so good and relaxing.i would recommend this place to everyone.
I will be back for sure
Thanks

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Just back from a 2night stay in the Menzies. Stayed here 3 years ago and it was a decent, clean hotel however it appears to have went downhill since then.
The room is a decent since and was fairly clean however the smell from the toilet was repulsive!! There's obviously a problem that needs sorting. Also, the extractor fan in the toilet stays on all day and night and us extremely loud. Prevented me from getting a decent nights sleep.
Went for dinner in the restaurant on the first night but wish I hadn't bothered. The food was barely edible at best. Asked for my steak to be well done however it was still bloody when it arrived. Fair play to the staff they sorted it pretty quickly but the damage had already been done.
The breakfast was a lot better and I enjoyed a nice fry up.
For some reason all the cups we were given were dirty. Surely this can be easily avoided?
The health club was used and was decent enough although the wooden benches in the sauna were broke and taped off so there wasn't many places to sit in the sauna!!
This hotel is going downhill rapidly it would seem which is a shame as we really enjoyed our first visit. Cleanliness is not the best, the hotel looks tired and the food is average at best. I won't be returning.
Spoke to the guy at the desk about my issues however he was just eager to charge me for the £8 parking fee!! Which reminds me, car park is a nightmare as well. Be prepared for twenty point turns to manoeuvre through the place!!
Very disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear John412,

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadviser and please accept my apologies for your disappointment on this return visit to the hotel. I have tried to make contact with you via the site but to date have not had any response from my attempts, as I would have liked to have personally spoken to you.

I have investigated your points and firstly in relation to your room - the smell in the bathroom - which sounds terrible as you never mentioned it to the team I have been unable to locate a room that suffers from this and I can only apologize if your particular room was affected. You mention the bathroom fans which I would just advise are on a timer (they go off at 11.30pm in the evening and back on a 7am) which I would just advise was not in place at your last stay and I have had this re-checked to ensure we are not experiencing any problems with the times.

I am sorry that you did not contact reception as we can either come up to the room or many people prefer to do it themselves close the vent which stops this - I would also advise that once the bathroom door is closed due to the sound proofing that the noise very seldom is heard unless you are a very light sleeper. You mention cleanliness of the hotel in your comments which I am very surprised at as I am sure you can see in the reviews we always score very highly and I would assume this is down to the smell you experienced and would suggest your score is not reflect of the efforts the housekeeping team go to.

With regard to your meal in the Brasserie on your first night I have spoken to the Chef who wishes to send his personal apologies. It would appear from investigation that the strip-loin that we had been supplied with by our butcher had created issues for us. In that when it was cooked well done the steak firms up - which should mean that it is well done - seeminly this also happened on a few occasions when the steak was not properly cooked which effected your steak. We have taken this up with the butcher and as they could not resolve these issues to our satisfaction we now buy our strip-loin for steaks from a different supplier. I believe that on the night you meal was changed to your satisfaction and I am sorry that the incident spoilt your entire dining experience.

In relation to the car-park and the cost we are one of the most competitive hotels in Glasgow city centre and the car-park itself is in a old school area that is over 100 years old so does have some tight spaces but nothing more than your modern multi-store car-parks and it is secure - again this has not changed since you last stay.

I am sorry you felt the hotel had declined, we are constantly upgrading our facilities and whilst we have not as yet spent millions - we keep the hotel in very good order and are looking at our capital plans for the very near future.

John, I am very sorry that you chose not highlight your issues to my management team during your stay or even as you checked out - (I note you point about the receptionist and his concern in ensure you were charge correctly for the car-parking) but we would have appreciated the opportunity to speak to you as I am sure we could have resolved the issues to your satisfaction prior to your departure

sincerely