“Ok but outrageous bar prices. This cannot be justified”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Brighton
“Ok but outrageous bar prices. This cannot be justified”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Bar just too expensive.Ok but outrageous bar prices. This cannot be justified. Spoils a hotel when they try to rip you off for some things. Not an especially nice bar. Rest OK and fairly standard for this type of hotel. Easy access and fairly access. Clean and tidy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarthahollyBrighton
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Marthaholy....

Thank you for your review obviously we are very disappointed to read your comments and I have tried to contact you through the site to ascertain the aspects of your stay that you felt warranted the rating, but to date you have not responded.

In relation your heading about our bar prices I would just advise that we are constantly monitor where our pricing sits in the 4 star market and I can assure you that in the city centre our pricing is as competitive and if not more competitive than some rather well known brands - I am sorry if our current pricing caused you such offence.

In relation to the look of the bar, I take your comments on board and will certainly review this when we are looking at our capital plans - I would however highlight the point that your comment are very much a personal preference and sorry that you felt so strongly about an area that we get many positive points about.

I was pleased to read you kind comments about the team and cleanliness and will ensure all those involved share your praise.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel

Sincerely

Philip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

Very impressed with this hotel. The bath fills up in twenty seconds, the gym and sauna, steam etc is all included, the breakfast is good, the reception staff are amazingly helpful, friendly and remembered my name and the standard rooms are spacious.

I also had an executive apartment one night for no extra charge- a two floor room with a lounge, kitchen, huge bathroom with separate bath and shower- a great loft style.

It is a little out of town, but good for business trips and a cut above the other business hotels in the same area- Hilton Garden Inn and Crowne Plaza.

Also worth noting that they have a great reward scheme!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was part of a Christmas night out group and to start with the room was very small and they had lots of tables crammed in together and the dancefloor was tiny. I felt the meal was awful, the food was cold and tasteless and the turkey was extremely dry. Not once were we asked how our meal was. The manager was an absolute disgrace! He was shouting at customers asking if they could 'understand english' he was extremely rude and he completely mistook our group for the table behind us who had drawn all over the table cloth. Also, after one of my group commented on how rude he had been he continued to shout in her face!!! As I was a very sober customer I probably noticed more than most. I would never frequent at the Menzies hotel again and I will not be recommending it either. Im surprised they have any customers if thats how there management act.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ashley J
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear A,...

Thank you for your second review that you have placed on the site after the first was removed. I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your Christmas Party and your comments are certainly not born out by other parties that night that we have contacted and have nothing but praise for the event and the cuisine. Please accept my apologies that your table seems to have been affected and I am sorry you chose not to speak to anyone on the night as we did check every table following the main courses.

In relation to the direct tone of the manager that you highlight I have investigated with him. Sadly, he was forced to raise his voice by a group where they were been particular abusive and loud towards the service staff and were particularly rude towards one team member in relation to country of origin at the end of the night.

After asking the table to calm down they found it very funny and chose to ignore this and carry on upsetting our team member - therefore a very direct approach was used. I am sorry that this had to be witnessed by you and your colleagues but clearly this kind of abuse cannot be tolerated and the party was asked to leave.

I also note that one of the guests who was sober came back into the room to apologized directly to the manager for the attitude and thank him for the way it was handled.

Philip
scotland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Booked here for location being close to The ferry where The Vatersay Boys were playing on Saturday night, came with another couple and they got a nicer room than we did, but ours was OK, no birthday card this year :( which was a pity! Breakfast good both mornings, would stay again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Arrived 2.40pm on Friday for a weekend break. Got a cab from Central Station, but this takes longer than walking. It is a 5 min straight walk along Argyle St towards the motorway flyover.
First impressions of the reception area were positve. Nice and clean, and nicely lit. Checking in was easy, and the staff were bright and cheerful. We were put in room 606. The room was nice and clean, I would put the room standard we were in as on a par with a Premier Inn. The room was clean and there were no obvious signs of wear and tear.It was cleaned to a high standard whilst we were there.
The leisure facilities were brilliant. The gym seemed well stocked. The pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room was fabulous.
We had a special two night package which included dinner on one night. The food at dinner time was excellent. The quality was good, it was well presented and the portion sizes were also good. The menu was varied, and some items were at a supplement. This is stated on the menu before you order. Now, this is what makes this hotel special....the service. Every member of staff had a smile on their face, and always made sure everything was ok, but not in an in your face kind of way. I asked the receptionist if he could reccomend a nice Chinese resteraunt and not only did he do this, but he booked it for us over the phone. My wife works in the travel industry, and would and indeed will be reccomend ing this hotel very favourably. The managers at this hotel should be proud of their staff. A final word on breakfast. Fantastic. Full Scottish breakfast on offer, with other options too, pastries, kippers, fresh juice, toast, everything you can think off. It is served in buffet form, apart from the other options which you can offer. When I am in Glasgow, I won't be staying anywhere else. Book here, and you won't be dissapointed.

UK Various
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Visited for a two night romantic break in January 2014. Our second time in the hotel.
Before I arrived, I emailed the hotel for information regarding parking and check in times. The response was great making our room available early, with parking charged at £4 per day opposite the hotel.
A friendly welcome from the hotel reception and easy check in, and we were also given a suite, which is a nice taste of luxury, with everything you needed in the spacious room.
Had dinner on the second night, which was included in our deal, and a special thanks to waitress Jennifer Kerr, who was very welcoming and hospitable. Menu for the meal deal was very good, with a lot of choice.
Pool a little busy as was the Jacuzzi, with the steam room good, although the sauna was shut for maintenance.
As previous guests have stated, only 5-10 minutes from central station, so very well positioned. Taxis also available outside if needed.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

fabulously friendly and helpful staff, top location - 5 minute walk from Glasgow central, sublimely relaxing swimming, sauna and steam facilities, well stocked gym - where one can build up one's appetite for the tempting breakfast options - a wonderful stay; thank you. My second time here and it won't be the last. Try going for a suite if you can - they are massive, well designed and furnished, and just the place to cosily avoid the rain in!