“Good quality and friendly hotel”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Our first time in Glasgow and pleasantly surprised with all we saw. Hotel good position - easy to walk to centre (Argyl Street) and sightseeing bus stops outside hotel - hop on and off . Staff extremely helpful and very efficient service in restaurant. For large chain this is an excellent hotel. Only snag is driving instructions provided on website. For those of us without sat nav it wasn't easy to find!!! However once there carparking is very secure and well managed by reception staff. We travelled from Ayr and were not able to exit the motorway at Junction 19 as advised - however a very helpful bus driver directed us to the hotel!! Good pool and gym facilities and excellent opening hours.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the excellent review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your first visit to our great city of Glasgow. Sincere apologies that you could not exit at Junction 19 as normal, we had not been informed of its closure over that weekend but I am very glad it did not spoil your stay. Thank you for your great comments on my team and I was also very pleased to read your comments on our restaurant service, this is something we have been working hard on to get right.

We hope and look forward to welcoming you back for your second visit to Glasgow. Thanks again.

Reviewed 6 July 2009

Poor experience all round and even worse than that of our last stay 3 years ago, especially considering the price has risen to an exhorbitant 123 quid per room! Arrived just after 1pm last saturday and informed that rooms would not be ready til 2pm. We had an expensive drink whilst waiting at the bar and returned to reception at 2 pm where we were informed by the same very grumpy and unhelpful receptionist that the rooms were not ready and were only designated as available "from" 2pm. A helpful and informative attitude at the outset would have avoided an unnecessary wait.
After a meal out we booked in and the first thing i noted was the stained and worn carpet. The drinks in the mini bar fridge were warmer than those sitting on the sideboard, despite the room feeling like a sauna. It was actually cooler in the hotel corridor and you know how stiffling they usually are.
I raised this with reception who said they would send up an engineer to fix it.
When we returned at midnight there was a fan in the room. The heat was unbearable. The hotel did not even have a window that could be opened to let in the cool evening air. The fan was so noisy that it felt like a pneumatic drill in my ear.
To top it all the seemingly large double bed turned out to be 2 singles with a sheet thrown over and a very uncomfortable hard ridge down the centre.
The only saving grace was a working icemachine in the corridor- much appreciated for cooling down!
On checking out the duty manager said that because the hotel was full the air-conditioning was overwhelmed! We were, after asking to complain formally, only offered a 10% reduction in our bill and only if we didn't take it further. We opted to complain further and are still waiting for the manager to call back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2009

Dear Guest,

I have just returned from holiday today and was very saddened to read that your party did not have a great stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies, as this is certainly not our normal standard.
I do know that David Comerford-Hotel Operations manager has tried to contact your party several times last week to discuss the problems you had.
Can I please ask that you contact me directly
on 0141 270 2319 or at lenny.hughes@menzieshotels.co.uk at your earliest convenience.

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed 6 July 2009

I have just returned from staying at this hotel for the second time and am now even firmer in my mind that I will NEVER stay there again. The first time I went with my husband for his birthday and we intended to make this our base while we travelled around local distilleries and sights. We were pleased with the location as it was central to walk into the shopping, restaurant and pub area at night and the concierge was extremely helpful, but other desk staff were not and the hotel was very noisy. We had problems on arrival getting checked in and had no where to leave our car. We also had to wait for over half an hour for breakfast. We thought this may have been a one off bad experience so agreed to return this year as friends of ours had booked to go to a concert and wanted to use this hotel. Considering the hotel was over a hundred and twenty-five pouns we expected good service, clean surroundings and pleasant staff. Unfortunately we did not get this and it was an even worse experience to our previous stay.
There were eight in our party and we arrived at 1.30pm. We were told we could not check in until after 2pm so we decided to have a drink in the bar. It cost seven ponds for a glass of wine. When we went to check in at a quarter past two they refused to allow us to do so and when we complained they said that check in only BEGAN at 2pm. This unhelpful jobs-worth attitude remained from the staff throughout our stay. When we arrived in our room eventually we found that the white wine we were given was warm, with no glasses or chiller, that the carpet was badly stained and there were not enough towels.
Do not expect much from the pool and fitness suite. It is in a conservatory style add-on and is very basic.
The worst thing about the hotel was that the air conditioning in our room was not working. As last weekend was about 30c we needed the air-con. When we rang down they said they would send a technician. He never arrived. we were booked to leave at 6pm so spoke to the desk before leaving to say that it was cooler in the corridor than our room and that there was actually warm air blowing out of the bathroom. When we arrived back that night we found a large noisy fan had been left in our room which was still bellowing out hot air. When we complained we were told they were full to capacity and the air con was having problems because of this. When we spoke to a senior member of staff in the morning they told us a similar story and that we had been given the only fan in the hotel. My wife was extremely ill during the night because the room was so hot and if we could have left we would have. There was no apology or help given to us and all we were offered was twelve pounds compensation for a night without sleep that made us ill.
When we were at the desk in the morning we were not the only people complaining - there was a queue - and the list seemed to be quite long. We were told we would be contacted by management and are still waiting for that call. I have stayed in many hotels over the world and have never been so poorly treated. Glasgow is a lovely place to visit but Menzies need to learn how to treat their customers.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends

Can I please ask that you contact me directly

Lenny Hughes

Reviewed 29 June 2009

Just a quick THANK YOU to Lenny and his staff for looking after us the weekend of the Take That concert at Hampden.
First Class Service, everything was just perfect right down to Breakfast being deliverd to our room.
Angie Louise and Megan.
Edinburgh

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2009

Dear Ladies,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your great feedback. No problem atall, I am delighted you all enjoyed your stay, what a busy weekend the Take That weekend was for everyone in Glasgow.
We hope to welcome you all back sometime soon.

kind regards

Reviewed 20 June 2009

I booked the function suite for my graduation ball that I was arranging. On the night staff could not have been more helpful, the meal was delicious and value for money and included in the price was lovely menues, table plans and place cards. I was upgraded to one of the split level apartments which was lovely. My parents also booked into the hotel and my father was very impressed with the standard of his room (he travels all over the world so this is a major compliment). Special thanks must go to Gereldine the Events Manager who was very helpful and accommodating. Lovely extra touches like ice machines in the corridors and robes in your rooms. All in all a fabulous hotal that I hope to have the pleasure in staying in again!!!!

• Stayed: May 2009
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review. I am delighted we played a part in making your graduation ball such a great success and I am also delighted that your father was very impressed.
I have now passed on all of your feedback to my team with special thanks and mention to Geraldine McKenna, our Events Manager.

We look forward to welcoming yourself and your family again sometime soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2009

We stayed at the Menzies hotel for one night on our wedding anniversary, and could not fault it!. From check in till check out the staff were friendly, and very helpful. We had a very large room which was nicely decorated and immaculately clean with no noise at all from the road outside. Breakfast was extremely good with lots of choice and excellent service. The hotel is situated very close to the centre of Glasgow with easy access to fabulous shops and restaurants. Our stay was really enjoyable and if I was to book a hotel in Glasgow in the future I would choose the Menzies, it had everything you could hope for, hopefully our next stay would be longer so we could enjoy the sumptuous looking health spa.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted that we made your special occasion a very happy one.
We do pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful team and I have also passed your great feedback on to Sharon Kerr, our Housekeeping Manager who is delighted. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 June 2009

We have stayed at this Hotel before and the attention to detail is second to none., I am very fussy and this Hotel made us feel very welcome and delivered excellent service. Great value for money and totally stress free. Very central location and excellent leisure facilities. We have also stayed at the Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, and Marriot in Glasgow and none of them hold a candle to this Hotel - highly recommend you use this one!!!...We travel to glasgow very regularly and will not stay anywhere else now. Special thanks to Lenny and his staff who made our stay so wonderful....see you soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyL
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for such an excellent review and sincere apologies for my delay in responding as I have only recently returned from holiday.

We are delighted you have made us your preferred choice in Glasgow and I have passed this on to the team.

We look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

kind regards