“Very good”

Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very good”
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Stayed here for one night based on the favourable revies on TA. Booked through hotelconnexions.com so got a decent deal of £79 for one night B&B in a standard room.

The hotel is in a none too attractive area of Glasgow, surrounded by what seem like derelict buildings and waste ground. On approaching the area, the Menzies itself appears like an oasis amid the dereliction and neglect. The carpark is none to obvious, as the big carpark behind the hotel is not it! It's actually across the road from the main entrance, in the grounds of an old derelict school. A large fence and gate surrounds it, so it's secure and its only £3 for the night, a bargain for Glasgow. As has been mentioned in other reviews, its a 10 minute walk along a fairly busy road to Central station and the bars and restaurants in that area.

Check-in was swift and efficient, a large room on the 5th floor being the result. The room had a giant (superking) bed, very comfortable. The TV was an old, small CRT one. Most hotels of this class now have large LCD screens, they're much more modern looking and the sooner Menzies upgrades, the better. Only the TV channels worked on ours, none of the other function and 'guest services' worked (despite there being a large leaflet, describing the many other functions of the TV in detail (internet, check bill, messages, payTV etc). Anyway, the room was very comfortable and quiet although maybe a little too warm, the AirCon being inneffective.

Breakfast was served until 11am and was average. A decent choice of hot and cold fare. Although the toast arrived stone cold and the milk jug was empty. Minor complaints.

We did not use the health club or spa so can't comment though they looked lovely. The concierge was most helpful, calling us a taxi, (even though someone then stole it from outside the hotel meaning we ended up waiting around 20 minutes for a taxi, causing us to be late for an appointment).

Only thing I really didn't like about Menzies was the 11am check-out. Most places nowadays, its a 12 noon check-out, and for a leisure break, this is an altogether more relaxed and convenient time.

A couple of (very) minor hiccups but I would stay here again without hesitation.

** RECOMMENDED

2 Thank Dougie M
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 21 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, but my sincere apologies for the "hiccups" with your TV and breakfast. I have passed on your great feedback to the team here along with the other points you have made. Further training has now taken place to try and ensure we avoid these type of situations in future.
I am delighted you will be returning and I hope to get a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you for recommending us.

Lenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South of England
Reviewed 31 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for five nights earlier this month. We chose The Menzies partly due to its apparent close location to the city centre, but also due to the obvious attention Lenny Hughes, the General Manager, pays to feedback provided by other customers via TA. Any hotel that takes time for this sort of thing has to be given a chance !
We were not disappointed. Room 318 was large, comfortable, located at the front so away from any road noise (such that we would not have known we were so close to central Glasgow). Waves, the leisure centre was also excellent....don't forget to take your £1 coin for the lockers (refundable) and I have already suggested the bathrobes are replaced with more "generous" sizes to cater for a wider range of guests.
Staff friendly and breakfasts ample.

1 Thank NormSouthofEngland
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 13 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent review, I am delighted you had a great stay with us. I have now passed on all of your feedback to my team.
I have also noted your comments regarding the lockers and the more "generous" robe size.

Thank you for reading Tripadvisor and giving Menzies Glasgow a chance, much appreciated. We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Lenny

ps Sincere apologies for delay in responding, I have just returned from holiday today.
AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We stayed here on Saturday 24th October 2009. Our room was perfect and we had a very nice stay. The staff are all friendly and very helpful. The only thing I would say is that the carpark isn't very nice however the charge of £3 per night is great and is a secure carpark so you know your car is safe. The only other thing we occured was that the room wasn't ready for us when we arrived at around 2.30pm. Would recommend to friends and family and we are hoping to stay again on the 21st November 2009 if gran and papa have our son. Its nice to get you time and have a break from your home house. We never had dinner so couldn't comment on that however the breakfast was nice.

1 Thank Fee&Del
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 6 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your great review. I am delighted you found our team to be friendly and helpful. I am really sorry we did not have your room ready at normal check-in time of 2pm, but I am very glad that it did not spoil your stay. Thank you for recommending us and I hope to be able to welcome you if you get a chance to return on the 21st November.

Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2009

We booked our 2 night stay at this hotel on the basis of its very good reviews on Trip Advisor but we were generally disappointed with our studio room. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was perfectly adequate but it is not the number 2 hotel in Glasgow as TP would suggest. Our specific reasons for our disappointment were the layout of the room where you could not watch tv comfortably from the sofa as it was situated at a right angle and you could not watch tv from the bed because the connecting cables did not stretch far enough. The sofa and chairs were covered with a hard nylon fabric and the sofa and one chair each had a disconcerting stain on a cushion. When in bed your eye was drawn to a foot long coffee stain low down on the wall where a previous guest had been careless.
On our first night we called reception to advise that two light bulbs were fused (making it difficult to read when sitting on the sofa) and that the fridge was dead giving off an acrid smell when the door was opened. We were advised that these faults would be rectified that evening while we were at dinner but unfortunately no one appeared during our stay.
Dinner itself was again adequate if a bit pretentious and one was left with a similar feeling that it didn't really come up to expectation.
My wife and I thought that a standard room may have been less disappointing but we are unlikely to make a return visit.

1 Thank Aonghas
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time time to submit a review and please accept my very sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations. I am very sorry that you were not happy with the layout of your room, and we would have been delighted to have the chance to offer you an alternative. We have a 10 minute guest satisfaction call back system in place, which means after the guest checks in to their room, we call to check that they are happy. We do this to ensure we always do live up to guest expectations.
Please contact me on 0141 270 2319 or at lenny.hughes@menzieshotels.co.uk if I can be of any further assistance.

sincerely

Aberdeenshire
Reviewed 21 October 2009

The two night bed and breakfast deal with one night evening meal had been recommended to me by a friend and so I duly booked it and hoped for the best. It was fantastic, from the moment we arrived we were warmly greeted and booked in very quickly and efficiently. I treated myself to a Hot Stone Massage in the Beauty Salon and again the staff were just so lovely. The food was really well cooked and presented with plenty of options (my partner doesnt eat meat) and all I can say is I would have no reservations in recommending this to anyone - I have already told all my friends and colleagues and will definately be returning ( in fact I cant wait!) Well done Menzies Hotel Glasgow.

1 Thank luckyquine
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 31 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent review. I am delighted that you came to us on your friends recommendation and we lived up to your expectations. I have already passed your great feedback on to my team in the hotel and Brenda and the team in Savannah Spa.
Thank you so much for telling your friends and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Location:

The hotel is easily accessible from the train station/main shopping area, being a 5-10 minute walk along a fairly busy road (Argyll Street). If driving, the hotel is just off the M8, far enough that noise isn't a problem though, and has secure car parking beside the hotel. While the hotel is not in the most attractive of areas, it is convenient, especially if you are driving as the car park wasn't the daylight robbery that more central locations are guilty off!

Rooms:

The rooms where a good size with comfortable beds and a decent sized bathroom.They are also in good decorative order and clean. The original room we were allocated was a twin room after having booked a double, however, when we contacted reception they where able to rectify this promptly.

Food:

We just had breakfast in the hotel, and found it to be the standard selection of cooked and continental offering which was perfectly acceptable. Service was prompt, although we were down early on Sunday morning to beat the rush.

Value for money:

Overall, this hotel compares favorably to the Marriott Hotel just across the road, which I've stayed in before. However, we booked this hotel via Alpha Rooms after recommendations on Trip Advisor and got a bed and breakfast rate of just over £90, beating the rates offered by the Marriott for the dates we were interested in. Overall we had a pleasant stay and I would return here again, if the rates were favorable.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 23 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent and comprehensive review. You have covered many aspects of your stay, and I was particularly pleased to read that you saw the benefits of our location. With us not being far from the city centre but just far enough to avoid any late night noise, many guests feel this is a bonus. I am delighted that you enjoyed staying with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

lanarkshire
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Went to the Spa for hot stone massage.My friend and I had the most relaxing time,before we went to have our massage we had the use of the steamroom the sauna and the jaccuzie also had swim before and had a nice glass of wine at the side of the pool.The staff in the hotel and the Spa were excellent. The rooms were really nice and spacious with a keyboard to link up your laptop if you needed to, coffee and tea making , hairdryer and even an iron and ironing board. There was even a sofa to sit and relax. We were even given bathrobes and slippers to go down to the spa.
I had thought had lost my camera but remebered had left it in the bathrobe pocket. when I phoned the hotel the next day they had put it into lost property and when went to collect they had also had other items we had left in the room Was really pleased to get back my camera as I was ging on holiday 2days later and picked up my camera before went to the airport.Would definately recommend this hotel and will make a return visit.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 15 October 2009
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to give us such an excellent review, I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us. I will be passing on your great feedback to my team and the team at Savannah Spa, who will all be delighted that they helped you have a great weekend with your friend.
I am also very glad that we managed to find your camera for you and I hope you went on to have a great holiday.
Thank you for recommending us and we hope to get the chance to welcome you back when you next return to our Great City.