“Great hotel, great staff, great stay!”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“Great hotel, great staff, great stay!”
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of their 2 night getaway offer for my boyfriends Birthday surprise treat. The price for 2 nights B&B (anddinner included on one night ) was fab, really reasonable. When we arrived at the hotel we were upgraded to an apartment studio which was huge! Was a lovey bonas and really made my boyfriends Birthday. The room was spotless and had everything you could need.

The hotel has a lovely pool and spa, I had reflexology which was heavenly and the 3 course dinner we had on our first night was of a high standard and service was polite and pleasant.

The hotel is a 10min walk into centre of Glasgow so is in a great location, for people who don't know Glasgow, the area surrounding the hotel might seem a bit run down but it is no reflection on the hotel and we felt perfectly safe walking back to tthe hotel on a Friday night after midnight. We really enjoyed our stay and I still can't believe how reasonably priced it was. Will def be back!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 7 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such an excellent review. I am delighted you had a great stay with us for your boyfriend's Birthday surprise. I have now passed on your great feedback to my team.

Nice to see you also had the chance to have one of our treatments in Savannah Spa and I am also very pleased you see the benefits in our location. Thanks for your feedback here.

I hope to be able to welcome you on your next visit to Glasgow.

Lenny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Cant fault this for £85 B&B. The food was great and A' la Carte the set menu at £17.95 for 3 courses provided sufficient variety and value and keep me going for 3 nights. Service was friendly and efficient even offering me a salad free of charge because my risotto was 5 minutes delayed. The leisure facilities are excellent. The pool is decent size with jacuzzi attached and sauna and steam room were nice all clean and well maintained. The room was a good size with large bed and usual ensuite bathroom. Cleanliness was good and though theres occassional wear and tear marks here and there its in pretty good condition overall. Its not a great location in terms of views etc as its on a darkened side street next to a main road and is situated within a stones throw of the M74 motorway. However, that said i couldnt hear a sound as the doulbe glazing has got to be the best ive ever come across. Theres on street parking but the hotel has a secure yard across the road with high fencing which costs £3 a day. Wifi is available at a price, my 3 Dongle worked fine in the room and good signal on organge for mobile. overall, found it to be great for the money and im going to be stopping here everytime I go back to Glasgow on business.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, I am delighted we helped you have a great stay. I have now passed your excellent feedback on to my team here and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow sometime soon.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2009

We have stayed here before and had a fab time so I was looking forward to a lovely stay again
.We weren't disappointed, our room was in the old part of the hotel which used to be a salt mill
We had a loft apartment which was spacious, spotlessly clean and had lots of character esp the beams on the roof, and a feature brick/stone wall. The only minor niggle was the room got very warm at night (very mild weather for November!) and we couldn't figure out the controls for heating/air con and had to open windows.
Large bathroom with good power shower.
On arrival our room wasn't ready which was disappointing ,however the receptionist arranged for us to have a drink while waiting also a bottle of wine at dinner which was a nice gesture.
Dinner was very good, my partner is a chef and he couldn't get over the fact that you could have the kitchen menu for £18 if not included in your stay as the quality & presentation was fantastic. The service was also very friendly.efficient & professional.
One recommendation would be to sell a dessert wine by the glass as there were only full bottles on the wine list.
We used the pool/spa and enjoyed all the facilities there,water was a perfect temp!
At breakfast we were served coffee/tea and hot toast promptly even though it was busy .
There was a good choice and everything looked well cooked & presented.
All the staff were helpful, efficient, and friendly ,giving the impression customer service is top priority.
The secure car park is a bonus, also the location is ideal, quiet unlike other hotels in Glasgow but the centre is just a short walk along Argyle St. You can walk down Washington St to the Clyde, there is a nice walk along the river in either direction.
We had a very relaxing & enjoyable stay and will most definitely return.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 1 December 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and thank you for returning to us.
I was delighted to read you had an excellent stay and we made up for the delay in getting your room. Sorry for the confusion over the workings of the air-conditioning, we could have resolved that for you very quickly if you had spoken to any of the team.
I was delighted you enjoyed the dinner and your great comments have been passed on to Richard Lyth, Executive Chef and his brigade.
Your comments on breakfast and customer service being our top priority have also been noted and passed to the team, thank you.

Isle of Harris, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We chose Menzies for our anniversary trip to Glasgow and we certainly were not disappointed. If you don't know Glasgow this hotel may seem to be in a run down area as you access it from the clydeside. However you will soon realise that it actually sits just off Argyle Street and is only a short walk from the city centre. Secure parking for a small fee is available. At check-in we were told we had been upgraded to an executive double room for our 'special occasion' and in the room we found an anniversary card from the staff and management - a lovely touch. The room was very spacious and clean and we enjoyed three very comfortable nights. The leisure centre was very clean and my wife enjoyed treatments in the spa. The bar prices for food and drink was reasonable and all the staff who we came into contact with were very polite and helpful. We need to be in Glasgow again in January and will definately be booking the Menzies.

Donnie & Jen - Nov '09.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nonimaclennan
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent review, I am delighted we helped to make your anniversary trip a good one. I am also very pleased you had a chance to enjoy our Spa and all of your great feedback has now been passed on to my team.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again in January.

West Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I travelled to the Menzies Glasgow last month for a one night stay as part of our journey from West Yorkshire further up to Aviemore for our our week-long holiday.
Our group consisted of my self, my husband and our 2 year old son, and my parents. When we drove up to the hotel, we were a bit dubious, as its not really in a very pleasant setting, and we had to park our car off-site in a graffiti-covered car park (you are warned about this when booking, and yiu can only access the car park if you are a guest with your key card).
However, our fears were cast aside once we stepped inside the hotel. There's a spacious foyer area in front of the recepion desk, and we were welcomed by very friendly staff, who took the time to make a fuss over our toddler, even though I would say this isn't your typical family hotel.
We requested rooms together, and happily they were. Our room was very spacious, and we were able to put the travel cot completely to one side of the room, creating a bit of distance between the main area of the room and our baby's sleeping area. The room was clean and warm, with a large bathroom and what turned out to be the following morning a powerful and warm shower.
The bar area just off reception was where we eventually decided to eat, and we polished off some lovely steak sandwiches, a burger and a lovely sirloin steak. It was pricy (£11 for the sandwich) but they were lovely, and the staff in the bar were very friendly and chatty, reccomending where we could the following morning for a brief look at Glasgow before continuing with the rest of the trip. We managed to squeeze in a dip in the pool, where the changing rooms were warm and clean.
Off to bed we went and I can honestly say I've never slept better in a hotel bed. It was large (bigger than the normal double bed) with a duvet as well as the normal sheets, and a very comfy mattress. Breakfast the following morning was a buffett, and my only critiscism would be that some items were not topped up as quickly as there was demand for them. But the breakfast was good quality, and there were also a number of dishes on a menu that could be cooked to order. I saw in a guest book in the restaurant that people had critiscised the level of service at breakfast, but each time we asked for more tea or toast it arrived quickly with no trouble.
The reception staff at check out were so friendly, and I would definately reccomend this hotel to friends or family travelling to Glasgow.
We left as very satisfied customers, and if we are in the area again, I would be more than happy to stay again

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanna20
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 30 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a great review.

I am delighted you had a great nights sleep and the comments on our team being very friendly are also much appreciated.
I was also very pleased to read your comments on breakfast, as we work very hard in getting things consistently right.
I hope to get to meet you on your next visit.

thanks again

scotland
Reviewed 4 November 2009

booked direct with hotel two nights b&b as it was as cheap as going through any internet firms on a late deal . quick check in , spacious room on 5th floor , room very quiet with air con .good breakfast, with plenty choices available. spa very good . cant find any real faults so highly recommended

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 26 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent review and than you for booking direct.
I am delighted you had a great stay and I hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future.

I will be passing your feedback on to my team and thank you once again for recommending us.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Stayed here for one night based on the favourable revies on TA. Booked through hotelconnexions.com so got a decent deal of £79 for one night B&B in a standard room.

The hotel is in a none too attractive area of Glasgow, surrounded by what seem like derelict buildings and waste ground. On approaching the area, the Menzies itself appears like an oasis amid the dereliction and neglect. The carpark is none to obvious, as the big carpark behind the hotel is not it! It's actually across the road from the main entrance, in the grounds of an old derelict school. A large fence and gate surrounds it, so it's secure and its only £3 for the night, a bargain for Glasgow. As has been mentioned in other reviews, its a 10 minute walk along a fairly busy road to Central station and the bars and restaurants in that area.

Check-in was swift and efficient, a large room on the 5th floor being the result. The room had a giant (superking) bed, very comfortable. The TV was an old, small CRT one. Most hotels of this class now have large LCD screens, they're much more modern looking and the sooner Menzies upgrades, the better. Only the TV channels worked on ours, none of the other function and 'guest services' worked (despite there being a large leaflet, describing the many other functions of the TV in detail (internet, check bill, messages, payTV etc). Anyway, the room was very comfortable and quiet although maybe a little too warm, the AirCon being inneffective.

Breakfast was served until 11am and was average. A decent choice of hot and cold fare. Although the toast arrived stone cold and the milk jug was empty. Minor complaints.

We did not use the health club or spa so can't comment though they looked lovely. The concierge was most helpful, calling us a taxi, (even though someone then stole it from outside the hotel meaning we ended up waiting around 20 minutes for a taxi, causing us to be late for an appointment).

Only thing I really didn't like about Menzies was the 11am check-out. Most places nowadays, its a 12 noon check-out, and for a leisure break, this is an altogether more relaxed and convenient time.

A couple of (very) minor hiccups but I would stay here again without hesitation.

** RECOMMENDED

2 Thank Dougie M
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 21 November 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, but my sincere apologies for the "hiccups" with your TV and breakfast. I have passed on your great feedback to the team here along with the other points you have made. Further training has now taken place to try and ensure we avoid these type of situations in future.
I am delighted you will be returning and I hope to get a chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you for recommending us.