“A very nice hotel inside and close enough to the City”

Hallmark Hotel Glasgow
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 23 November 2009

The hotel looks dated from the outside but when you get inside it is actually very nice. The rooms were clean and a good size. The leisure club is an added bonus although the jacuzzi was not working during our stay. Everything went really well until Breakfast on the Saturday morning which was so shambolic as to be almost comical. Looking at the comment book (pen conveniently astray) it is clearly not an isolated issue. Basically had to wait fifteen minutes for a table. Lots of staff but no direction- Lots of table vacant but not clean and set up. Ordered coffee and tea as we sat down and we received it just as we finished breakfast! It was a disappointing end to our stay.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your four star review and for your good comments on your stay, but please accept my very sincere apologies for the problems you experienced at breakfast on the saturday morning. We do work very hard to get things consistently right for breakfast and since your review we have put further measures in place to try and ensure this does not happen again. Really sorry that this was the disappointing end to your stay.
I do hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

sincerley

Lenny

Write a ReviewReviews (2,203)

Reviewed 22 November 2009

I have stayed several times at the Menzies Hotel in Glasgow. Hotel is spotless, plenty of space in rooms and staff are pleasant and very helpful. Parking is cheap and hotel is close to shops, bars and other attractions.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, Glasgow Hotel at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thanks you so much for such an excellent review and for returning to us. I hope to be able to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2009

This Hotel in generally very good; but - we felt - did not warrant its 2nd place in TripAdvisor's poll of Glasgow hotels. (My wife stayed at the Millennium a couple of years ago and says that it was considerable better.) The gripes were: food very average...breakfast selection very poor. Wi-fi did not appear to work. £3 overnight parking fee opposite the hotel was an irritant we only realised when we checked out. Nice swimming pool etc.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am delighted you felt that we are generally very good, but I was very disappointed that there were aspects of your visit that did not meet your expectations. In particular your comments on our breakfast offering and food in general were very unusual to hear but I have discussed all of your feedback with my team to try and ensure we do get these points right for the future. Sorry I did not get to meet you during your stay, as we would have been delighted to resolve any problems with Internet or parking for you at the time.

Thanks again for the review, I hope to get a chance to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Sincerley

Reviewed 18 November 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of their 2 night getaway offer for my boyfriends Birthday surprise treat. The price for 2 nights B&B (anddinner included on one night ) was fab, really reasonable. When we arrived at the hotel we were upgraded to an apartment studio which was huge! Was a lovey bonas and really made my boyfriends Birthday. The room was spotless and had everything you could need.

The hotel has a lovely pool and spa, I had reflexology which was heavenly and the 3 course dinner we had on our first night was of a high standard and service was polite and pleasant.

The hotel is a 10min walk into centre of Glasgow so is in a great location, for people who don't know Glasgow, the area surrounding the hotel might seem a bit run down but it is no reflection on the hotel and we felt perfectly safe walking back to tthe hotel on a Friday night after midnight. We really enjoyed our stay and I still can't believe how reasonably priced it was. Will def be back!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such an excellent review. I am delighted you had a great stay with us for your boyfriend's Birthday surprise. I have now passed on your great feedback to my team.

Nice to see you also had the chance to have one of our treatments in Savannah Spa and I am also very pleased you see the benefits in our location. Thanks for your feedback here.

I hope to be able to welcome you on your next visit to Glasgow.

Reviewed 17 November 2009

Cant fault this for £85 B&B. The food was great and A' la Carte the set menu at £17.95 for 3 courses provided sufficient variety and value and keep me going for 3 nights. Service was friendly and efficient even offering me a salad free of charge because my risotto was 5 minutes delayed. The leisure facilities are excellent. The pool is decent size with jacuzzi attached and sauna and steam room were nice all clean and well maintained. The room was a good size with large bed and usual ensuite bathroom. Cleanliness was good and though theres occassional wear and tear marks here and there its in pretty good condition overall. Its not a great location in terms of views etc as its on a darkened side street next to a main road and is situated within a stones throw of the M74 motorway. However, that said i couldnt hear a sound as the doulbe glazing has got to be the best ive ever come across. Theres on street parking but the hotel has a secure yard across the road with high fencing which costs £3 a day. Wifi is available at a price, my 3 Dongle worked fine in the room and good signal on organge for mobile. overall, found it to be great for the money and im going to be stopping here everytime I go back to Glasgow on business.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review, I am delighted we helped you have a great stay. I have now passed your excellent feedback on to my team here and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow sometime soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2009

We have stayed here before and had a fab time so I was looking forward to a lovely stay again
.We weren't disappointed, our room was in the old part of the hotel which used to be a salt mill
We had a loft apartment which was spacious, spotlessly clean and had lots of character esp the beams on the roof, and a feature brick/stone wall. The only minor niggle was the room got very warm at night (very mild weather for November!) and we couldn't figure out the controls for heating/air con and had to open windows.
Large bathroom with good power shower.
On arrival our room wasn't ready which was disappointing ,however the receptionist arranged for us to have a drink while waiting also a bottle of wine at dinner which was a nice gesture.
Dinner was very good, my partner is a chef and he couldn't get over the fact that you could have the kitchen menu for £18 if not included in your stay as the quality & presentation was fantastic. The service was also very friendly.efficient & professional.
One recommendation would be to sell a dessert wine by the glass as there were only full bottles on the wine list.
We used the pool/spa and enjoyed all the facilities there,water was a perfect temp!
At breakfast we were served coffee/tea and hot toast promptly even though it was busy .
There was a good choice and everything looked well cooked & presented.
All the staff were helpful, efficient, and friendly ,giving the impression customer service is top priority.
The secure car park is a bonus, also the location is ideal, quiet unlike other hotels in Glasgow but the centre is just a short walk along Argyle St. You can walk down Washington St to the Clyde, there is a nice walk along the river in either direction.
We had a very relaxing & enjoyable stay and will most definitely return.
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
LennyHughes, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and thank you for returning to us.
I was delighted to read you had an excellent stay and we made up for the delay in getting your room. Sorry for the confusion over the workings of the air-conditioning, we could have resolved that for you very quickly if you had spoken to any of the team.
I was delighted you enjoyed the dinner and your great comments have been passed on to Richard Lyth, Executive Chef and his brigade.
Your comments on breakfast and customer service being our top priority have also been noted and passed to the team, thank you.

Reviewed 15 November 2009

We chose Menzies for our anniversary trip to Glasgow and we certainly were not disappointed. If you don't know Glasgow this hotel may seem to be in a run down area as you access it from the clydeside. However you will soon realise that it actually sits just off Argyle Street and is only a short walk from the city centre. Secure parking for a small fee is available. At check-in we were told we had been upgraded to an executive double room for our 'special occasion' and in the room we found an anniversary card from the staff and management - a lovely touch. The room was very spacious and clean and we enjoyed three very comfortable nights. The leisure centre was very clean and my wife enjoyed treatments in the spa. The bar prices for food and drink was reasonable and all the staff who we came into contact with were very polite and helpful. We need to be in Glasgow again in January and will definately be booking the Menzies.

Donnie & Jen - Nov '09.

1  Thank nonimaclennan

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such an excellent review, I am delighted we helped to make your anniversary trip a good one. I am also very pleased you had a chance to enjoy our Spa and all of your great feedback has now been passed on to my team.

I hope to be able to welcome you back again in January.