“Fantastic hotel !!”

Ranked #47 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
blackpool
“Fantastic hotel !!”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Just stayed at the Menzies hotel [weekend 7th Aug] and had a fantastic weekend. The hotel is easy to find and offers cheap secure parking. The staff are all very friendly and the hotel seems to have a relaxed feel. Booked a weekend break package which included diner, the food and service was superb - one of the best hotel meals i've ever had. Service was good but not stuffy. Breakfast was good, buffet style with a selection of specials and veggie options on request.

The room was lovely and very clean, we had an apartment room which is dead cool and includes a kitchenette and separated bedroom. Even included a complimentary mini-bar and posh toiletries.

We didnt use the pool and gym but the pool is pretty big and looks nice.

We've stayed in other hotel close by and this is be far the nicest. Highly recommended, we will go back soon.

Thanks

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 18 August 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review, I was delighted to read that you had an excellent stay. I was pleased to read that you were impressed with your dining experience and the cuisine in the Brasserie and have passed your thanks to the Brasserie team and my Chef Richard Lyth.

Once again many thanks for you kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel

Philip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We have stayed here several times before and have never been disappointed
This time as it was my b'day, we treated ourselves to a stay in the loft apartment "Manhattan" in the converted rice mill part of the hotel. We have stayed in the apts before but this one was the best!
We got an early check in as the room was ready ,there is a free secure car park across the road.The hotel is about a 10 min walk to the centre which suits us as it it has the advantage of a good nights sleep with no noise! There is also a nice walk along the Clyde at the bottom of the road.
Our apartment was very spacious with modern decor, spotlessly clean and comfortable.The bedroom was on an open plan mezzanine with lots of natural light.
Dinner in the Brasserie was excellent as usual but we didn't appreciate now having to pay extra for potatoes and veg, My partner is a chef of many years experience ,in his view people do not like this idea, it costs very little to provide a small dish of these .There were a few minor issues with service which were dealt with very professionally by the restaurant manager to our satisfaction. We would also like to mention Sebastian ,our waiter for his friendly and helpful attention.
Breakfast was also lovely, well presented, and a good choice.
The leisure facilities we used were also excellent, lovely pool area with spa bath ,also steam room & sauna.
Although the hotel was full,all staff we encountered were without exception,friendly, helpful & efficient which does encourage a return visit.
We would recommend this hotel without hesitation and look forward to a return soon.
P.S BEWARE!. the surface of the bath was EXTREMELY slippy, even though the tap end had a non slip surface,could result in a nasty fall.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable return visit to your favourite hotel. It was very pleasing to read your positive feedback, and comments in relation to the friendliness of the staff. I will ensure that my team share in your kind praise.

I was great to read that you saw the benefits of the hotel and our location to all the major attractions and closeness to the City centre and that you made full use of our Waves Leisure club, thanks for the feedback here.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in the Brasserie and for your recommendations and comments which I will feedback to Richard Lyth my Head Chef. I was particularly pleased to read your comments in relation to the Manhattan Suite Apartment that you stayed in which you saw the benefits of booking one of these rooms. – thanks also for the feedback on the bath surface – which I will investigate – we do offer bath mats if required.

Once again many thanks for your kind review and I hope to meet you on your next visit to the hotel

Oban, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Stayed here for just 1 night with my best friend from Oz. Booked an apartment which was a lovely sitting room with kitchen area in it, a separate twin bedroom and a bathroom. I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel - i had got a rate of £144 D, B & B for 2 people in the apartment which i thought was excellent! The restaurant food was excellent and a great choice on the d,b &b rate - the breakfast in the morning was also great.
All in all a good choice of place - had spa facilities but we didnt get around to using it! There is car parking and no charge for it. The location is good and it is set away from any noisy area of Glasgow but still almost in the centre.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great review, I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable break and for the positive feedback in relation to your stay and the friendliness of the staff. I will ensure that my team share in your kind praise.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience in the Brasserie and for your recommendations, we are proud of the cuisine and I will pass your great feedback to Richard Lyth my Head Chef. I was particularly pleased to read your comments in relation to our Apartments in which you saw the benefits of booking one of these rooms. Thanks for your feedback here.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We were staying in Glasgow for the Jazz Festival and chose the Glasgow Menzies based on tripadvisor reviews. Lovely little hotel, and I would stay here again. We walked there from the train station in about 40 minutes. Efficient and friendly check in, fantastic staff. We took advantage of the indoor pool in the morning and it was really wonderful – immaculate locker rooms, heated pool, big fluffy towels. Very reasonably priced and they even fit us in when we were late coming down for breakfast.

Cons: The neighbourhood is a little vacant at night, so if you’re coming in after dark I would recommend that you take a cab. Rooms could do with linen updating – corduroy decor pillows that can’t be cleaned should probably go.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and made full use of our facilities. I have passed on your great feedback to my team.

I was concerned to read that you felt the location was slightly out of the way for walking which I believe is in reference to your walk from “Queen Street station” which is not the closest station to the hotel with Central Station only a 5 minute walk and the City Centre just beyond this and hope this will help in future.

I hope to be able to welcome you back on your next visit to Glasgow

London
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I chose this hotel just from the reviews on Trip Advisor after reading very good reviews and seeing the hotel's position as number 3 in Glasgow.
I was very disappointed, from the start on checking in after an early morning flight, the staff were quick enough to check people in front of me into a non smoking room (which ended up being next door to my room) however only offered me a smoking room and said that to come back at 2 and see what they could do as if they were doing me a favour.
If they had said that in the first place it would not have been a problem.
I was really happy with the room I got, large, however with the windows open it would be difficult to sleep because of the motorway, with them closed it was fine.
The room had not been dusted for a long time. Not very good!
The really nice point about the hotel is the pool and the gym, and is one of the reasons I booked the hotel. It was very clean and I enjoyed using them.
The location is not the best, close to the M8 and about 3 blocks away from Central Station, but not a great walk back at night , so get a cab!!
I must admit I did not find the staff all that friendly, there were a couple of exceptions but in general I did not feel welcome.
I love Glasgow, and I will be back again, but I will not be staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
PhilipMellor, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Glasgow, responded to this review, 16 July 2010
Dear S….,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my e-mail, please accept my apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I was most concerned that your check in was not as smooth and welcoming when you arrived at the hotel – this is certainly not indicative.

In relation to the housekeeping standard this is certainly not the norm and I will be following up on your feedback with the Head Housekeeper and her team.

In regard to the friendliness of our staff this is really surprising and concerning as this is an area that hotel prides itself on, I am very sorry that on this occasion we failed to show this off.

As I mentioned, I do understand why you did not want to highlight the issues during your stay, however, I am sure that had you done so we could have resolve them to your total satisfaction.

On a positive note I was pleased to read you felt the room was good and enjoyed making use of the Leisure Club and found the facilities very clean – thanks for that feedback.

I am pleased that you will contact me in the future when visiting Glasgow and I look forward to being able to ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons

Sincerely

highland
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Stayed at Menzies Glasgow this weekend and had a great weekend. A few little gripes that others may have made a big deal about, twin room and no sky sports but was stated on confirmation double room with sky sports, would hae complained but knew it was fully booked on Fri night. Breakfast was cold on 1st morning but fine 2nd morning.

Overall we had a great time though and will deffo stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the great feedback.

I was however concerned that there were certain aspects of your stay that you were disappointed with, in relation to the Sky Sports that was incorrectly advertised on your confirmation. I am however pleased that this did not affect your stay and note that you made use of our Live ESPN channels that are available in our Cocktail bar.

Your feedback in relation to breakfast is particularly disappointing and I have had the buffet unit inspected noting that on the second morning everything was perfect in case we have intermittent fault.

Thank you again for submitting your good review, I do hope to get change to welcome you back sometime in the future and to that end please when you are next planning a trip to Glasgow please contact me directly so I may ensure your total satisfaction.

Sincerely

Ayrshire
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I stayed in this hotel last year when one of my frinds were having a birthday party in the city. On the outside it looks a little scuffy and in need of a paint but don't let that hold you back. Once you walk inside it's great from the layout of the bar and reception to the concierge that greet you as you enter i couldn't have asked for a better welcome. My room was bright and airy and as it was a corner room it seemed to be very spacious. i ordered room service and it was great from the presentation of the food to the tastes of it was wonderful. i even managed to have a dip in the pool before heading out to party for the night. On a whole i really like this hotel, and when i go back to Glasgow i will be staying here again. Situated at the end of argyl street it is ideal for shopping, dinners and nightlife without the hustle and bustle of the hotels in the very centre in among the nightlife. The SECC is also just along from the hotel which makes it ideally suited for concerts and things as well.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review and I was pleased to read that this was your second visit to the hotel and on both occasions we have exceeded your expectations.

I was pleased to read that you saw the benefits of the hotel and our location to all the major attractions and closeness to the City centre. Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our concierge – I will certainly pass on your feedback to Brian my Head Concierge and his team.

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed your room service with us. I will certainly pass on your feedback to my Chef and restaurant team, thank you.

I am sorry I did not get the opportunity to meet you during your stay hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards,