“Keeps failing to deliver on promises”

Epicures of Hyndland
Ranked #698 of 2,506 Restaurants in Glasgow
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I love the West End, have a place closeby, and this place is busy from 8am until close late at night, it has all the ingredients to become a major social hub, yet they seem to take customers for granted, and do not care or are completely unaware of customers' experiences.

It's a great location, great interior design, decent food, friendly, but the service is an utter, utter shambles, and can be infuriating, especially as it is so inconsistent so you cannot be sure of what you will experience. Walking in there creates its own unique tension of 'What is this going to be like?'

You can be taken care of straight away, or get ignored, or have three staff one after another coming and asking you the same thing.

If I arrange to meet friends there I warn them that I cannot guarantee a good time there, as it's totally random. This is the reputation that precedes ever stepping foot in there!

Staff are trying to stay on top of things though it's apparent they are not managing particular areas so end up running around in circles.

You order takeaway coffees and great there's piece of fudge with it :) but because I don't trust the place I check them and sure enough, there's no milk in them? :(

You get given a menu then don't get to talk to a staff member for 10 minutes?!

I chatted with a staff member there and they said that the waiting staff has fed back again and again to management about how disorganised it is, and how they should not hire people without any hospitality experience, but management won't be told, do not listen, do not act improve things, and to me it's apparent they do not care about the experience of their customers, or staff. Management do not even feed them and they have to eat elsewhere on their breaks!

Epicures, you could be great, and I mean awesome, yet you choose to squander this opportunity, and risk losing the local community's allegiance as you are having to be tolerated, instead of celebrated.

Please take responsibility and sort things out with action, not words.

1  Thank Simon S

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had the 2 course pre theatre menu the other evening while staying in the area. We really enjoyed it and the food was well presented. The service was good too with friendly staff.

We did go for coffee before going home and I have to admit that the service was a little slow that morning.

How ever I still wish we had a place like Epicures in our home town.

1  Thank TrudyShrewsbury
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have regularly visited Epicures over the past year. Each and every time I think "maybe this time it will be better" but sadly the service lets this establishment down each and every time. Plenty of staff, but most of them unfriendly and stuffy. Service is slow. Coffee lukewarm. Tables slow to be cleared. Prices high. This place has great potential and is located in a great area, but the staff and management really need to up their game.

3  Thank Funky_chicken885
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We shared the vegetarian platter for two...first time for two definite non vegetarians! The quality of the food was excellent, with garlic infused Halloumi cheese, sun dried tomatoes, peppers in oil, tasty humus, salad and fresh bread!

The service was slow and the waitress was a tad unfamiliar with the contents of the menu!

This café / restaurant has a lovely setting, especially if you can sit downstairs and the food we tried was superb, but overall it was let down by the service and this left it lacking or feeling that it just tried too hard.

KarpowGlas, PR and Social Media at Epicures of Hyndland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent trip to Epicures.

I am glad you enjoyed the food and surroundings-I am sorry that the service was slow and that the waitress was unfamiliar with the contents of the menu.

We have taken your comments on board and will use your feedback to make sure our staff are familiar with the menu as we strive to deliver good service along with delicious food.

Kind Regards,

Karen.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The food was really quite disappointing - the bread roll for the burger was dry and crumbling, the coldslaw was also dry and overall the meal was really disappointing. We had to wait for 50 mins between courses and we were pretty much forgotten about. We like coming to epicures for coffee & cake but was sorely disappointed by the Pre-theatre evening meal.