“Wanderful accidental find for breakfast or lunch”
Review of Cafe Wander - CLOSED

Cafe Wander
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We were walking from the Glasgow Hilton to the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery along St Vincent Street, which had just turned into Argyle Street, when we can across the Café Wander. Having decide against a hotel breakfast we felt sure that in such a busy city there would be no problem getting better coffee and food at some café along the way. Up until Café Wander that had not been the case. There always seems to have been a large selection of Italian cafes in Glasgow, as in most British towns but on Saturday morning they all seemed to be closed. So when we saw the Café Wander and it was welcoming we decided to go in and rest out feet while we waited for it to get closer to the 10:00 opening time at the museum. It turned out to be a very lucky choice.

The signs and menu posted around the small café were welcoming and in places amusing. The décor was mainly white with some green so looked clean and hygienic. There were not many tables, about half a dozen or so in total. The staff were friendly and helpful. I decided that rather than have the bacon roll on the menu I would like a toasted bacon sandwich and a café latte. I also ordered an extra slice of toast which proved to be too much in the end. I was told, helpfully that I would be charged extra since toast required more bacon than a roll; nice to be informed up front rather than when paying the bill. My partner ordered a croissant with a cappuccino. The croissant was freshly baked and very good, my toasted bacon sandwich was good and filling.

There seemed to be a constant stream of customers as we drank the excellent coffee, ate our breakfast and read the paper. It was easy to understand why since the prices were very reasonable considering the quality served.

It did look as though the main business would be through the week at lunchtime with specials combining a drink, Panini and fruit or crisps for take away being advertised. It would be easy to see this or the other branch in West George Street being popular as an alternative to the big chains of coffee houses.

Overall the Café Wander was a good find. It is friendly and serves excellent food and coffee at a reasonable price. This is certainly a place we would go back to if in the area and we would look for the other branch if we were in Glasgow city centre.

p.s. apologies about the pun in the review title but I could not help doing it

1  Thank GrahamP81

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We found this little café this morning. We had a very hearty welcome and we just felt like at home. Breakfast was great and we enjoyed very much having our breakfast in this relaxing and friendly location. We will return here whenever possible.

Reviewed 26 February 2013

Popped in for breakfast late morning to what used to be my regular haunt when Acanthus then Julie's, to find it changed again.
The waitress wass nice and friendly, the Supervisor/manager was 'prickly' to put it nicely, all over 30pence difference between a mocha coffee which was ordered, and a hot chocolate which was delivered.

The breakfast of scrambled egg, square sausage, back bacon and potato scone was dry and rather tasteless.

Not a patch on the previous owners and probably not on my repeat visit list, nor one that I would recommend any more.

*Acanthus - COME BACK.

Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

I visited this cafe for Breakfast during a visit to Glasgow, great cafe, delicious breakfast, will definately return next time I'm in Glasgow.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

Popped in last week for light lunch and was pleasantly surprised. Super, fresh, homemade food and baking. The staff were very friendly and the bill was perfectly reasonable. We'll be back soon.