“Could Be Better”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Could Be Better”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Good place to hang out before a gig. The soup and sandwich deal is good value, but £6.50 for a glass of wine? On yer bike!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank nony88

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great nite out”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

After reading another review, felt I had to write this. I must have been at a different GREEN ROOM!!! After an excellent meal previously, decided to return to the Green Room with family for a celebratory meal. Once again was not disappointed. The service & politeness we received from the moment we walked through the door was spot on. I did note an accent to some of the staff which to me is not an issue. There was a problem with our table in only that I hoped to be seated at the window to enjoy the view, but as this is a premium table, I never requested it on booking (my fault!!!!). We had a small wait for our order but as the restaurant was full, & food is cooked to order, this was not a problem. The staff served our delicious food (I had the mussels, WOW!!!) carefully & with a smile. We all need to learn somehow & through personal experience, I've found on the job training is best. Unfortunately we are all human & not robots. As for the manageress "Fiona", we had a small issue with my credit card & I found her to be nothing but polite, professional & understanding. I'm disappointed that the Green Room will be closing after Hogmanay but I have thoroughly enjoyed both visits.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank LGrey26
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Needs a stronger hand on the tiller to make it a top-class restaurant”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Pre-theatre meal on Monday 17th December. Had visited once before some 3/4 years ago so decided to give it another try as it is very convenient for GRCH . Well, I would love to be overwhelmingly positive in this review but there were a few wrinkles which, when added together, make me feel that ,much as I love the place, it does need a bit of a kick up the backside.

Plus side - a lovely feel to the place/decor. Friendly staff. Great views of Buchanan Street. Good food.

Down side - the storm signals appeared when we were presented with another tables drinks as we took our seats. OOOPS!! Rolls arrived sans butter which we had to ask for. OOOPS!! Our order was taken and when it came was offered to another table! CRIKEY!! Wine was ordered and plonked at my side with little ceremony. I opened and poured. My wife's main course - risotto - had a foreign body in it - plastic!! She was offered another risotto (declined) and a free dessert (accepted) Tea and coffee late in arriving. When my wife went to pay the bill a queue had developed due to mistakes in other customers' billing. When she came to pay they had added on the dessert!!

In themselves- apart from the plastic insert - none of the above is too drastic. But, cumulatively, they did begin to irk.

THE MAIN PROBLEM - untrained staff. We reckoned that of the staff we saw at least 3 were on their first evening of duty. There was an atmosphere of panic amongst them. Had they been trained to serve the public or were they drafted in over the Christmas period to fill a gap in the staffing of this restaurant? I guess the latter. I surmise that a few were of foreign origin and probably had experience of serving the public in their own countries , but were out of their depth in this restaurant on this occasion. A "Fiona" appeared to be in charge but we saw very little of her over the course of our time there.

The faces of our fellow diners spoke volumes about the prospect of a return visit. I doubt it. Glasgow is blessed with many good, well-staffed, reasonably priced eateries. The Green Room could be, could be a great place to dine. It has a view to die for. Does the management care? Doubt it. Who owns it? Is it Glasgow Council? Could explain a lot!!

• Visited December 2012
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Very convenient for a proper meal before a concert, though a bit pricey”
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I wanted a full meal before the concert, and this was the obvious choice as there seemed to be only chains and fast food outlets nearby. I was a bit uneasy that there had been only one review, maybe because it is seen as part of the concert hall. The setting is quite refined, as was the menu, but this was reflected in the price - £17 for 2 courses. My choices of wood pigeon salad and sea bass were enjoyable but not particularly memorable compared with other less expensive venues. The service was efficient but perhaps lacked a little warmth.

• Visited October 2012
Beith, United Kingdom
“A lovely restaurant hidden in plain view”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

As a regular visitor to the concert hall we thought we would try the Green Room located in the building .what a find the food was wonderfull ( my partner was still raving about the duck next morning ) service attentive and professionall a window table affords an amazing view .
Cost was reasonable two with a three course meal costing around twenty one pounds .there is a two course option as well . I think it's only open on concert nights not sure about that and it's early ,obviously for pre theatre dinner .direct access to concert hall as well . We will certainly be back lots of things on the menu to try

• Visited October 2012