“Nice rooms, just ok location”

Alexander Thomson Hotel
Ranked #69 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Nice rooms, just ok location”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Stayed here in September. On the plus side, the rooms are newly renovated, spacious and clean. The price is also very good for the city centre, (I didn't get a chance to try the breakfast so can't comment on that). On the negative side, I would say the location is just ok, it's bordering on a dodgy part of town, as a single woman, if I was coming back late at night by myself I would be wary. Also, I found the street noise (ie people yelling at each other) very loud on Thursday night. Ask for a room facing a quieter street (I faced directly onto Argyle) and a room that's not near the fire doors (as the one I was near slammed). As well, they have the smallest, slowest (but new) elevator I've ever seen. Overall a good hotel in an ok area. Good if you're on a budget but still want to be close to the city centre.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet street, facing Argyle is not quiet. Ask to be away from a fire door as they can sla...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Larne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I have stayed in a few hotels in Glasgow but keep going back to Alexander Thomson. I have been back many times, I have been there 3 moths in a row. I am disappointed if the rooms are all booked and have to find somewhere else to stay. I find the staff excellent, they are so friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. They have worked hard over the years to update the hotel. I feel so comfortable at Alexander Thomson. The breakfast is very good and the rooms are cleaned every day, fresh linen and towels everyday. What more can you ask for. To be treated as a person and not just a number means more to me than anything. I was there last month and intend to go this month if I can get a room. They have opened more rooms, had to extend the dining area and is always busy. That says it all for me.

Room Tip: Have been in my rooms and have no complaints.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We have now stayed at this hotel on several occasions. we keep going back as the staff are friendly and helpful,rooms have always been large and very clean and the breakfast has always been fresh and delicious and all for a very reasonable price.
Good base for going anywhere in the city centre a perfect location in argyle street.
Would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to spend the night in glasgow.

Room Tip: ask for the 4th floor as it is up and away from the traffic on argyle street
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scully2052016
london
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I got a great price on a double room by calling up about a week before I was traveling up to Glasgow. On the phone they warned me a couple of times that I was booking a 'compact' double room, I was worried it would be really small and pokey, but I was on a budget and thought that for £49 for the room, including breakfast for two, I would put up with it.

I was really pleasantly surprised. Our room was a really good size - not really compact at all! We had an en suite, with a good shower (no bath). The bed was nice and comfortable. It was a great room.

The hotel also has a large and nicely decorated lounge, where I was allowed to sit and charge my phone when I arrived way before check in (just off the sleeper train!). There is a left luggage room and all the staff were super friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was a self service buffet and was not great - I'm not really a fan off self service breakfasts as things can get a bit cold - but fine, For the price it decent.

This isn't a luxury 5/4 star hotel, but it is comfortable, friendly and cheap as well as being really central so I would recommend it. One of the best budget city hotels I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
ft erie
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Stayed here 5days in mid August, Was spacious and clean, good prices, a welcome relief after the cramped quaters of London... A great hearty breakfast every morning, and a fast. easy walk from the train station

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank judyFtErie
bethesda, maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Classic 19th-century Victorian architecture and the location--a block from the Central Station and across from commercial properties boarded up for redevelopment--could make you think you picked the wrong hotel. Not so! The rooms have the high ceilings of olden times, comfortable beds, bathrooms with up-to-date fixtures, a good Scottish breakfast and comfortable common rooms. Two downsides: there are no computer terminals for guests (the maitre d' was kind enough to let us use his, so that we could print out our boarding passes), and the tiny elevator was evidently added as an afterthought, dropped through the stairwell. One elevator for 85 rooms, capacity four persons (fewer than that if they have their baggage with them). This makes for a big crush at check-in and check-out times. Overall, though, an excellent hotel for the price, in he heart of downtown Glasgow.

Room Tip: Best to ask for a room at the back, away from traffic noise.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank drdemento
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I stayed here numerous times for business and was almost always impressed!

The staff are fantastic- nothing too much of a problem and always chatty.

The hotel is old and whilst it must have once been grand it does feel a bit sad these days. But its always very clean.

The location is fantastic and I think that the rates are really good value. The residents bar is also reasonably priced.

The rooms are quite noisy as the windows don't block out the noise and the first time I stayed was February and it was absolutely freezing! But there are heaters in every room.

The breakfast is good, lots of choice but it can get really busy so make sure you leave enough time as you may need to wait for a table. They will let you sit in the bar if its busy though.

Be wary of room 405 - the door doesn't shut properly so make sure you slam it!
The lift is also a bit dodgy and there are 5 floors so pack light!

I enjoyed every stay at the hotel - my only real gripe? the wifi signal is rubbish!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business