Alexander Thomson Hotel
US$329
US$320
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$232
  • Breakfast included
US$207
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Jurys Inn Glasgow(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$366
US$294
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Grand Central Hotel(Glasgow)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$165
Agoda.com
US$204
Cancelon
2,007 results
All reviewscentral stationluggage roombottled waterbuffet stylecity centreiron and ironing boardfifth floorbreakfast was includedtea and coffeeflat screen tvcooked breakfastself servicebreakfast roomroom was largewould stay againmain shoppingyogurt
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Nice stay but the internet is very slow and was not working all the time!!! We like the breakfast, but the bed was very small for 2 !!! The street is very noisy!! But anyway we love this hotel and the price is good!!! I hope we will go again there!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel gives an overall impression of squeezing tourists and paying a minimum to keep the place running:
-Very old elevator which was not functional during parts of our stay
-Not noiseproof walls, we could hear noise from the hallway as well as neighbours
-Sewer smell coming from the pipes in the bathroom
-Overall feel of rundown old building
-WIFI was totally not functional during our stay, very inconvenient when you need internet connection to work and end up having to pay 50€ roaming fee with your mobile plan as workaround.
+Breakfast was OK for the price

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My.husband and i.and our friends stayed here a.one night stay.for four of us , .room was.lovely ,good sized room ,very.clean.,and hotel was quiet considering size.of.hotel ! Buffet breakfast was outstanding ! Will defo.be staying again ,also five.mins walk.to city centre a great one night stay.!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Spent 2 nights in the Alexander Thomson hotel recently and found it to be spotlessly clean, although some of the décor could do with updating. The staff were all friendly and helpful. We couldn't believe that breakfast was included in the price we paid as it was so cheap. The hotel is situated in a great location to explore the city .If you are having any doubts about booking this hotel I would say go for it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My sister and I had 3 stays in Alexander Thompson in the last 2 weeks. The first was for one night on arrival in Glasgow before travelling around Scotland and the second was for 3 nights to sightsee in Glasgow and the third was one night before catching a flight out of Glasgow.

From the first visit we were satisfied with what we received for the price and I will not hesitate to book this hotel again whenever I need to stay in Glasgow. The location is perfect. 10 mins walk with suitcases from Queen St or 5 mins walk with suitcases from Central. The Airport Shuttle bus drops off and picks up around Central so you can't get better.

Room 101 next to the breakfast room was a twin and very roomy and of course handy to breakfast. Though the decor is a bit worn eg. carpets the room was clean, the beds good, the bathroom spacious and roomy and we were more than happy. With what you can get for 25 pounds per person in Glasgow ( I know as I have been to a couple of places in the West End in Winter for this price) I was more than happy.

The staff generally were good though when working for minimum wage in this country ( I know again as I have worked for this rate of pay and talked to many staff members who do also) some people lose their motivation for providing the extra customer service that makes a difference in hospitality. That said... no one was rude and when we requested anything it was provided.

The huge convenient bonus was the peace of mind of a locked up luggage room that we could use for when we needed storage after a check out or an early checkin. So good to see proper security procedures!!!!! Well done. very important.

Breakfast was more than ample.... in fact I would have to say that the amount of food was unnecessary .... there would have to be wastage. It is a buffet. I can only speak for the eggs and baked beans ... all good... make your own toast.. everything seemed fresh and clean.

Overall.... I could not say you could get anything better for 25 pounds per person ( twin room booked through booking.com) and even if it is a little more in peak season I would go for them as it would still be good prices.

We had decided that if we weren't happy with the hotel then we would cancel ( we had enough time in the booking.com cancellation for the next visit0 BUT we didn't want to. We wanted to stay.

Have to mention that they called us a cab for no charge on 2 occasions ... no prob.

It is obvious that bits of renovations are being done eg. bathroom tiles whereas other things in the room are not done eg. painting needed in wardrobe but these things did not detract from our stay.

If you are a person that needs to feel you are in a 'posh room" with everything perfect then it's not for you BUT if you are a realist with an eye for a decent room for a fair price then I recommend you give Alexander Thompson a good go.

Thanks everyone there.... I will return.

Room Tip: Little bit of street noise in Room 101 but to be expected in a hotel on this busy street. I am a sound sleeper and was no problem.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family