Alexander Thomson Hotel
Ranked #68 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 2 August 2014

...but what it certainly wasn't was 'budget' in the Commonwealth Games - £450 for two nights bed and breakfast for a double room - and that was booking (and paying) 10 months in advance, before I even knew I had got tickets for my chosen events! However, this may be a similar mark up to all other hotels in the Glasgow area (normal rates would seem to be about £150 B&B for 2 nights) and the place was certainly busy and the staff hard working. Although the entrance and stairs look somewhat seedy, the location was excellent, almost opposite the Radisson Blu Hotel and just beside Central Station - not the most upmarket part of Glasgow by a long way but great for getting to many of the venues for the Games as well as for shopping, sight seeing and eating out.

Our room on the 4th floor was a pleasant surprise - spacious, clean, in good decorative order, good storage, all the facilities you could want and an excellent shower. The bed was comfortable and the hotel itself very quiet although the noise from the streets was another matter, albeit something over which the hotel has no control (even the Glasgow seagulls seemed to be particularly strident). Extra supplies of tea were brought promptly on request and fresh bottles of water and packs of biscuits were supplied daily - which is certainly not always the case in hotels. Breakfast ran very efficiently with a good choice of options. As usual, the hot breakfast buffet was lukewarm but that seems to be the case in most hotels. The waiting staff and chef ensured that supplies of hot and cold items were continually replaced - I never saw any item run out even though the breakfast room was very busy from 7.30 onwards.

Unlike some other reviewers we found the reception staff to be both pleasant and helpful, and we were grateful for the facility to leave luggage. And the 'in-house gym' helped to get rid of a few calories - trotting up and down the 4 flights of stairs as the lift is indeed very slow.

Room Tip: All I can say is that 424 was better than would seem to be the case for many rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,911)

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here purely for location to for the Games. - and only because every other hotel was full. Very close to Glasgow City train station. Room ok but shower hanging off wall, place dirty. breakfast plentiful but grease ridden school dinner like.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Richard S
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my husband for the Commonwealth games. For a price of €199 I expected much more. The area around the hotel is a little run down so this gives off a bad impression to start with, when I went in to the reception area I actually thought I had got to the wrong hotel. It's quite dated looking, we were greeted coolly by the receptionist there and promptly told they had no parking for us on this particular day. I had rang up to make sure that there was parking 1 week before our arrival date and was assured there was. So off we went in search of parking ourselves.
We couldn't check in until 2pm so had to leave our bags in the luggage room. We were given tickets to retrieve these later however we didn't need the tickets because you could just walk in and pick any luggage you wanted to out of the room! Terrible security.
The lift to the room was dreadfully slow (We were onthe 5th Floor). The room itself was tired, dated and small. The bathroom was the only area that looked like a bit of TLC was given to it although the shower tray was badly work and looked dirtly.
There was a wet patch by the window on one side of the bed, I dread to think what it was but convinced ourselves it was a glass of water that may have been spilt by a previous guest (I couldn't have faced going through the ordeal of trying to change rooms).
The windows had dingy net curtains, the view was awful as we were looking out into a derilict building. The room was so hot we had to keep the window fully open but the noise outside restricted any sleep that we hoped for.
The only 2 positives are that there was free wifi and the location, it's close to some really nice restaurants and the train station.
The breakfast wasn't very good either. The mushrooms were boiled?? The fried eggs were hard the bacon and sausages were of a very low standard.
I can honestly say I've never stayed in a worse hotel, I know it is a 3 star hotel and therefore cannot be judged by higher star standards but I really expected more. I won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
2  Thank Andromeda_111
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed for one night during Commonwealth Games and paid £249.00 for one night, which was certainly not worth it. We requested a quiet, top floor room which we did not get but I was not too concerned about this. We were on the 3rd floor and our bedroom was terrible. The curtains and window frames were filthy, around the bath there was mould and the views from the bedroom and bathroom windows were awful. The windows would not shut properly so there was a lot of outside noise. The bedroom furniture was very knocked and worn. The room was extremely hot during the night. All the time we were there, there was a pile of unlaundered washing which was in a pile outside our door and which was never moved. The reception staff were not at all polite and were just not interested.

The hotel inside certainly needs a revamp. The decor is very dated, worn and looks very scruffy

This was our first visit to Glasgow but we shall never stay at this hotel again. It was appalling.

As this hotel is so near to Glasgow Central which is a big plus, it is a shame that it is not better looked after and the staff more helpful.

We left our lugggage during the day in a room which was never locked (even though they said it was). We were given numbers to put on our cases but these were never checked when collecting our luggage so anyone could have took a suitcase.

Room Tip: Our room on third floor was terrible.
1  Thank Pauline B
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed in this Hotel for one night during the commonwealth games. At almost £200 I expected it to be ok at the very least. When we arrived the lady at the desk told us that we could not check in until 2pm and parking for which they told us they had was not available. We had to change in a toilet which I thought was pretty disgusting. The room when we did check in was old, grubby and tiny. Everything apart from the bathroom looked tired. The staff apart rom one girl were unpleasant and the breakfast was horrible. For £50 a night this might be ok value as it's what one would expect. On the plus side just to be objective, the location is central and the bathroom in our room was ok apart from the shower tray which was badly marked.

Room Tip: If you find one, good luck
1  Thank T T
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed in this hotel for one night as had a late arrival into Glasgow and needed to leave the city by 6am for further travels. Booked based on location and price (was looking for something good value and central). I was in one of the newer rooms, I think? Room was in great condition, good bathroom with fab water pressure in the morning. The person who checked me in, also checked me out (as was only there for 6 hours or so) and was incredibly helpful, even offered to set up the breakfast room early for me so I could grab some coffee and toast before heading out (which I declined, the extra time in bed was too precious). Bed was very comfy and all in all would definitely stay again if I needed to do the quick turn around in the city.
Yes, there is street noise, it is right in the centre of the city, but I found playing some music in my room was enough to drown it out.
Lots of public areas which I didn't use but had a quick look around.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Fijura
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Thought we had made a mistake booking when we arrived as outside bit shabby and lots of surrounding area boarded up. Once inside receptionist very friendly and welcoming. Room was all it should be and clean although a little worn. Large communal area if you wanted to stretch your legs within the hotel. Lift was very very slow but needed to be used to take luggage upstairs. The breakfast was very good. Overall very central and does what it says on the tin.

2  Thank Karen U