“HEAVEN ON EARTH”

Ranked #68 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Kolkata, India
“HEAVEN ON EARTH”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

What I didn't like this hotel? Nothing.
The hotel is fantastic - a hidden gem in the many gems of a charming city like Glasgow.
1. Reception - Check-in is a breeze even at 10 pm. The receptionists are fantastic and they will help you out in any situation - be it directions, be it the bus nos, a problem with your room - you name it. And every time you enter the hotel the greetings from them is so heartfelt that you think that you have entered your own home.
2. Rooms - nothing can be better than this at this price in the whole of Europe, I can bet on this. Clean, LCD TVs (when you are traveling in Europe even the 4 star hotels provide you with CRT TVs, you feel as if you have gone down a generation), plenty of milk, tea, coffee, water bottles and even cookies with an electric kettle - all this for free.
Bathrooms are excellent, spacious, neat, tidy with adequate no of towels which are changed everyday.
The staircase is so plushly carpeted that we never used the lift when going down, we preferred the stairs although our room was on the 4th floor. That speaks of the quality.
3. Location - 100 mts from Glasgow Central Station.
4. Breakfast - excellent is too small a word for it. Plenty of choices, buffet, quality food, (they give Kelloggs brand of cereals instead of the locally made ones which are distasteful), aromatic coffee and a perfect helpful hand is always by your side whenever you need it. Behaviour of the staff is above reproach. The ambiance is that of grandeur.
I will never forgive the institution who has alloted a 2 star status to this hotel. It is easily in the 4 star grades excepting the price.
A request to the manager - please keep your hotel as it is and also in the same price bracket. You'll never be short of guests.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Area-General-Manager, General Manager at Alexander Thomson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2010

We are happy to note that you enjoyed your stay at our property.

We look forward to your visit in the near future and assure you of our best of services & personalised attention at all times.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Highlands
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I stayed here at the end of April for 4 nights from a Sunday to Thursday. The hotel was very nice, the room was clean, and the bathroom was very clean (I'm very fussy about hotel bathrooms being clean). The furniture looked almost new though the couch and cushions looked a little worn. I had a double bed which was very comfortable and on check in was advised if I required more covers or pillows they were available. The staff were very polite and though I didn't need to ask for anything I felt I could should I have needed to.

The room was cleaned every day and my water bottles replenished also every day. The cleaners always left my room cleaner and tidier than I had left it and I'm not really an untidy person so that's saying something.

The hotel is located 2 mins walk from Central station and surrounded by empty buildings which may appear off putting at first but it made no difference to my stay.
If you are a light sleeper it may be worth getting some earplugs as I could hear my neighbours talking and snoring at night but that could just have been noisy neighbours as I couldn't hear the folk that stayed in the next room before them.

Traffic noise has never bothered me but for those of you that it does annoy the traffic could be heard slightly but this did die down in the evening a great deal.

Based on my stay, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Dublin
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We really liked the complimentary bottled water and free wifi - nice touches for a budget hotel.Breakfast was excellent and the staff were friendly and professional. Reception area could do with a makeover but the bar, dining room and rooms are all pleasant. Great central location in a lively part of the city.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

merseyside
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Just stayed for 2 nights at this hotel and couldn't have asked for more! It was very clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and it was a very central location. Having read reviews on here before we went I was a bit dubious but I was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were large and recently decorated with lovely curtains and bed linen. The bed was new and comfortable and it had a lovely TV and 2 complimentary bottles of water and kettle etc. The bathroom was very clean and the shower very good. For the money it was great. Breakfast was plentiful and hot and you just helped yourself so could go back for seconds if you wanted to. Personally, I can't fault this hotel. If you're looking for a cheap hotel in the centre of Glasgow, with nice rooms and a good breakfast then stay here!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lozzer100

Riga
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I really have only good things to say about this hotel. I had read some of the bad comments about this place so I was a bit nervous on my arrival, but from the first moment I entered the hotel I knew that everything was going to be OK. Firstly, the staff was very nice and friendly.
When I went to my room I found it spacious and clean, and more important - it was kept clean during all my stay. One more thing which maybe is not very important, but made me and my family feel very welcomed were the snacks and the bottles of water being refilled every day - something I would have never thought to see from a simple 3star hotel. As to the breakfast - it was great! The variety of foods was fantastic, everything was fresh and tasty. The sleep quality was also very good - no noises or other problems. But the best part of the hotel is its location - it's in the middle of everything, you can get everywhere from it easily. For those who have referred to the area as the red light district - I can't agree with you. Of course there are no blooming parks outside your window, but it's just how the centre of the city of Glasgow looks like... And if you don't like something you can always choose the Radison hotel right across the street, but the price will be much different then...
I know that I will definitely come back to this hotel during my next visit to Glasgow and I will recommend it to all my friends!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

london
Reviewed 27 April 2010

There is nothing bad I could say about this hotel.
Location: 1 min walk from Central station ( very convenient if you travel to Prestwick airport), 2 min wlak from shopping area at Argyll Street, there is a Tesco express few seconds away and a pub.
Room: Clean and spacious ,with 32'' plasma, recently redecorated, thick curtain so the sun will not bother you, suprisingly big bathroom, reaaly nice and modern. for me the mattress was very comfortable.
Food: quite good variety- eggs, bacon,sausages,tomatoes, potateos, cereals, muffins, cheese,youghurts, fruit salad,toasts, jam,croissants,juices, tea, coffee.
Staff:nice and friendly
Price: I paid 80 pounds, for two nights ( Sat and Sun), for 2 people.

I would definitely book this hotel again. It is a great standard *** hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This hotel is just walking distance from Glasgow Central Station which is very easy and convenient. The staff are very helpful and will even guide you in the right direction for the best food. The breakfast buffet is right there in the hotel and is very good.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Area-General-Manager, Area General Manager at Alexander Thomson Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the kind reviews.

kind regards,

Management

NEW: Free wi fi in all our Rooms now.