“Nice hotel nothing Wow!”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
West Lothian
“Nice hotel nothing Wow!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night in an upgraded executive room. The room was very modern in decor and spotlessly clean. The tea tray has tunnock biscuits and on turn down got left another few Tunnock treats which was a lovely touch. Check in was fine but nothing special no chit chat the receptionist stuck to what she needed and that was it, a tad impersonal. Breakfast in the morning was ok, a good choice but felt a lot of the hot food had been there a wee while as was a bit dry. Check out was much better a male receptionist who although busy was really friendly. The hotel itself is in a great central location for dining out and shopping which is what we were there for!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hello,
Thank you for the recent Tripadvisor review. It is great to read that you enjoyed our Tunnocks treats in the rooms. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future Kind Regards,
Victoria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Turkish first
Paisley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here again on a Saturday night. Negatives first.... the bed was two singles pushed together! My pet hate in hotels especially a 5 star one. There was also only one robe in the room and it took ages for the other one to arrive. The floors were also wooden. Easier to clean I'm sure but made the room feel cold.

The room was spotless though and a good size, All staff were polite and professional and the buffet breakfast has a wonderful choice.

Would stay again as it also offers a fantastic location yards from Central station but would make sure the bed was a proper Queen or King.

Room Tip: Make sure if you ask for a double room you don't get two singles pushed together
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Hi,
Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor Review. It is great to read that on the whole you enjoyed staying with us and that breakfast was a highlight. We hope to welcome you back in the future and will ensure you are allocated a double bed on your next visit
Tiverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

If you like old-fashioned, cosy, leather furnished and wood-panelled hotels then this one is definitely not for you! Instead it is light, roomy, modern, airy, with state-of-the-art technology. Situated close to Central Station it is only a short walk to the main attractions.

As a single traveller I liked the fact that there was a peephole in the bedroom door and also an optional security chain. When queuing for breakfast (short queue, quickly dealt with) I was asked for my name rather than my room number.

Other things that scored points with me were:-

- all staff were courteous, helpful and friendly
- at breakfast there was the widest selection of food I have ever come across in a hotel so far and the cereal bowls were a decent size. Table-cloths and napkins were crisp white cotton. Instead of awful plastic-wrapped items there were real knobs of butter and bowls of sugar lumps.
- my room was spacious and well equipped with adequate storage space.
- there were proper wooden hangers in the wardrobe and they had both slots and clips so could cope with all garments.
- the sound-proofing was amazing - whenever I was in my room I felt as if I were the only person in the hotel - couldn't hear anything from any other guests or plumbing at all.
- the curtains kept all the light out when drawn, assisting sound sleep
- in the bathroom there were strip lights either side of the large mirror - the first time I have ever been in a hotel bathroom with good lighting (important for ladies trying to apply make-up!)
- there were numerous power sockets, both UK and continental, and Wi-Fi (although I didn't use the latter)
- there was a large dressing-table/desk area which is useful for a anyone needing to use a laptop, etc.
- there was a good selection of teas, coffee, hot choc, and two choc bars, all of which were replaced daily. There were also toiletries in the bathroom (although I didn't use those, so I don't know whether they would also have been replaced).

There were only a few challenges as far as I was concerned:-

- the room door was very heavy and needed a shoulder to open it (I'm only rather small and lightweight)
- the air-conditioning was a bit fierce at times making the conference room quite cold
- some of the power sockets were under the work-surface so I had to get down on my hands and knees
- there were no drawers (seems to be par for the course these days)

I loved the hi-tech stuff but it does take a bit of getting used to (or maybe that's just my age). It's worth reading the notice outside the lifts because all you have to do is key in your floor number and it tells you which lift (out of 3) will come first. If you suffer with vertigo, don't stand too near the back of the lift or the view through the glass of the floors below might upset you.

It took me a while to work out how to get the bedside lamp to switch off (you have to remove your keycard from its slot and then the light remains on for long enough for you to find your way into bed. It turns off automatically after a while).

Overall I loved the hotel which to my mind has a delightfully guest-centred approach. However, I spoke to a fellow delegate who hated it - "All black and white and soul-less," she complained.

Horses for courses, I guess.

Room Tip: It's a big hotel with long corridors so if you don't like walking you may need to ask for a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LifeSparkle
Hello LifeSparkle,
Thank you for taking the time to compose your excellent Tripadvisor Review
Of all the positive points you mentioned, needless to say the most rewarding to hear is the appraisal of the staff you encountered. Customer service is always the most important part of staying in a hotel and I'm happy to hear you found us first class in this department.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on business or pleasure soon
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed for Easter Weekend and would highly recommend this hotel we upgraded to a business class room which was clean spacious and well equipped. The staff were very helpful and service in all areas of the hotel is faultless. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: Upgrade its definately worth it
1 Thank JT2118
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Hi JT,
Thank you very much for the review you recently posted
It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed your visit.
Your kind words will be communicated to the team, who I am sure will be as pleased as I was to hear your praise. We hope to welcome you back soon
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Lovely modern hotel which is very central. Lots of bars/restaurants close by & not far to walk to the main shopping area. Close to the railway station so ideal if you want to catch trains to other parts of Scotland for the day. Only ate breakfast in the hotel, which was lovely. Plenty of food & choice was good. Our room was large, clean & had everything we needed. Only problem was a noise from one of the lifts. Our room was opposite the lift so may have been why we could hear it? I did mention it on checking out, as felt it may have been more of a maintenance problem rather than a general noise heard by the rooms located near the lifts! The receptionist assured me he would get it looked at. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for room away from lift just in case the noise we heard is not fixed!
Hello MrsMac,
Thanks for the tripadvisor review.
I'm glad to hear that we could contribute towards an excellent stay in Glasgow and I hope to see you again soon!
Buxton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is a short walk from Glasgow central station. We parked the car safely nearby on the street. There was a warm and efficient welcome. The room was spacious and well maintained, as was the bathroom (with bath). It was kept well stocked with toiletries during our stay. The breakfast had an excellent range of quality hot and cold foods. The staff were helpful throughout our stay. The health club did not have a steam room or jacuzzi, and the swimming pool was a bit cold. We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night. The service was excellent. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us, we are very grateful for all the feedback we receive and appreciate the time you have taken to recognise our hotel. We hope that we can welcome you back to The Radisson Blu Glasgow, in the future.
Kind Regards,Victoria
Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Radisson Blu in Glasgow has it all. Quiet location close to Central Station and the stylish shops in Glasgow. From the initial, friendly and helpful check in to our final departure from the hotel, we felt that this hotel was very well managed. The staff were delightful and the whole operation was very efficient and even over a very busy breakfast period, the staff kept the tables cleared and clean and the buffet was incredibly well stocked. Our evening meal was excellent too. We were interested to hear that the kitchen has no microwave, from which we deduced that everything is freshly cooked. Well done, we loved it and hope to be back before long to stay in one of the stylish and spacious rooms - we loved the underfloor heating in the bathroom!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked Robertson Street and was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hello,
Thank you for the fantastic review.
Kindest Regards,