“Good location, but service could be better”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow
Ranked #32 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I got a deal on Expedia for a business class room with free movies and breakfast included. I arrived at the hotel at 1500 but was told that no rooms were ready. Despite the official check in time being 1500. I wasn't offered a free coffee or anything, just told to come back in twenty minutes. When I did get in my room the free movies had not been activated and I had to call reception to get this sorted. I also found it odd that bath salts were part of the complimentary toiletries, but there is no bath! There is a bit of noise from the lift, despite my room being at least five doors down from the lift area. The mini bar was locked so I couldn't use it as a fridge.

On the positives the hotel is a few steps from Central station. The rooms are reasonable with a kettle, expresso machine, widescreen TV with Sky Sports, free wifi, a safe and a decent shower. The breakfast buffet is also reasonable, but had only two pastry options and was missing bananas on the second day of my stay.

The gym opening times on the weekend are not good, with it shutting at 1600 on a Sunday - so given the delay in check in I was unable to use the gym. The hotel is busy, but apart from the lift noise there is no noise from either the street or other guests. I was a bit disturbed to find someone had entered my room when I was at dinner on the first night, and someone tried to get in when I was in on the second night. Both times was to leave a bottle of water that had not been left when housekeeping cleaned the room. I do not consider this to be good practice and it seemed more like an excuse to enter the room when I was out. I did not find anything missing, so it may be innocent enough.

To sum up for me the negatives slightly outweighed the positives and so I can't really recommend this hotel unless you get a cheap deal.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the lift area
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank IanSwindon
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Hi Ian Swindon,
Thanks for the honest appraisal of your stay with us at the Radisson Blu Hotel Glasgow. It is great to read that you enjoyed our location and our new bedroom televisions.Unfortunately the opening times for Sport's Direct Fitness are outwith the hotels control as it is operated by the gym and not the hotel. The water is a gift that is delivered by our Food and Beverage assistants rather than our Housekeeping team. In future if you do not wish this to happen there is do not disturb signs on the back of all the doors of the hotel.We hope that we can welcome you back to The Radisson Blu Glasgow, in the future. Kind Regards, Victoria

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just spent a great weekend here and would highly recommend it. Excellent hotel in a superb location. Great rooms, friendly staff and Sunday breakfast till midday - perfect!! Looking forward to our next visit already.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Hi thornbillbank,
Thanks for the excellent Tripadvisor review!
Our breakfast offering is something we are particularly proud of in the hotel, I'm glad you enjoyed the selection and the late brekkie on Sunday!.
Next time you're in Glasgow I hope we shall see you again.
Kindest Regards,
Victoria

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here over the valentines weekend and had a fabulous time. The staff were very welcoming and accommodating. The room was lovely and spacious with a bath and shower both clean and welcoming.
The location is great for getting around the city and the bar attached to the hotel does some delicious cocktails! Wifi and gym and swimming facilities attached although we didn't quite make it down there.
Will definitely stay here again if I visit Glasgow!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Sarah E,
Thanks for the excellent Tripadvisor review! Next time you're in Glasgow I hope we shall see you again.
Kindest Regards,
Victoria

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed Friday and Saturday as part of a hen do and couldn't have felt more welcome. All the staff were great, except from one man, in a suit who was working Saturday breakfast and Sunday breakfast - he never seemed to smile or say hello!? The rooms were lovely and great that we were all close together. Breakfast was nice with a great choice both mornings, although very tight on toast!! Dylan, who was working on the bar was fantastic, we originally had booked an area in the bar on the Friday which was nice but we weren't allowed to play or own music so we asked Dylan if we could get somewhere where we could do this and he sorted it all out for us. The only downfall of this was that the room we got was upstairs from the bar - but he served us all night and done all the running up and down the stairs so we didn't have too ! Great service, great food, great hotel - will be back.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Hello Crob125,
Thank you very much for the review you recently posted
It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed your visit for the hen weekend
Your kind words will be communicated to the team and Dylan, who I am sure will be as pleased as I was to hear your praise.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future Kind Regards, Victoria

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We recently stayed here as part of a hen party and found the staff very accomadating, the rooms were really nice and big and great having them with air conditioning as was quite a hot day. We got our own private room to celebrate with the hen in and a very nice waiter/barman called Dylan who took quite alot of stick from the hens and managed to keep his dignity. We also had plenty of free popcorn which was rather good apologies to the cleaner for having to clean it from the floor. The concierge was really nice as well, we did get told off for spinning around in the front door but apart from that we had a really nice stay in the hotel and would highly recommend it, only problem I would say is the price of the bar maybe a bit overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DAM2702

Hello DAM2702,
Thank you very much for the review you recently posted
It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed the hen party at the weekend! Your kind words will be communicated to the team, who I am sure will be as pleased as I was to hear your praise. We hope to welcome you back again soon Kind Regards, Victoria

Reviewed 25 August 2014

excellent and cosy hotel that is centrally located and a place to stay and shop and shop always the staff are very friendly and warm and they go out of their way to make guests happy i will recommend this hotel to friends and family and colleagues alike to stay here whenever they are in Glasgow for business or for vacations or both.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Hello Benedict Amaebi F,
A review like this is exactly what we are aiming for! Thank you for the glowing recommendation and I hope we see you again in the near future.
Kind Regards, Victoria

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Weekend away in Glasgow for Pleasure. Hotel is a lovely hotel, hotel room clean and good size. Shower was a bit poor, Staff polite and helpful at this hotel. Chosen because it is central, good location. Some conflicting words about mini bar/Fridge in the room....bit disappointing that water was not free to drink had to pay for this that was in the Fridge. Price of a mars bar is ridiculous at £2. Did not eat or drink in this hotel, nor use the other facilities so therefore I can not comment. Overall the hotel is nice, clean and in a great location :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Victoriahowie, Assistant Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Hotel, Glasgow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Hello Gemzie88,
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us, we are very grateful for all the feedback we receive and appreciate the time you have taken to recognise our hotel. We hope that we can welcome you back to The Radisson Blu Glasgow, in the future.
Kind Regards, Victoria