“A bit far from city centre”
Review of Devoncove Hotel

Devoncove Hotel
Ranked #91 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
“A bit far from city centre”
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

The devoncove is a lovely hotel with very friendly staff. We stayed for two nights, breakfast was good. We were going to a few museums and the cinema during our stay but hasn't realised both were a good 15-20 minute walk from the hotel. Good location if you need to be in the west end. Plenty of pubs and eateries around the hotel .

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ruddsrolls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Not by any stretch of the imagination is this a four star hotel, but we were very happy with our room for the bargin price we paid. Very clean, plenty of space and a nice bathroom.
Breakfast which was included was fine, self service with plenty of choice.
The location is wonderful, only a short walk to the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery or the parklands.
We walked into the centre of the city via Sauchiehall street and there are plenty of dining options within a short walk, the reception staff were very helpful with suggestions for restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Whitley Bay
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at the Devoncove, Glasgow on a business trip recently. On check in I got the usual forms to sign, but there was an extra form that it was made VERY clear I needed to read and understand - the damage waiver form. I was signing to say that I would be billed £50 for any damage to the room on my check out. I had no plans to trash the place so signed willingly.

On getting to my room (lower ground, like a converted dungeon and views of the underside of an Astra in the Car Park) I dumped my stuff and checked the room out.

This was when I noticed the heated towel rail hanging off the wall at a precarious angle, and when I tried opening the desk drawer, the front panel came off in my hand!

I went straight back to reception to inform them and they said their maintenance guy was on holiday and made a note in a diary of my issues. Not an impressive start!

Got myself sorted and popped down to the bar. I was surprised to see the barman was the guy originally on reception - obviously a multi-tasker. In fairness he was very pleasant and chatty and told me he should have finished his shift long ago but had stayed on to lend a hand. Give that guy a pip on his badge!

Breakfast was interesting. Buffet style and tasted fine. I didn't have toast, for one main reason. There was a pop up toaster and a 'rolling tray' style toaster. It was sheer entertainment watching folk trying to work them out as they (apparently) had no instructions. I watched in good humour as people put their bread in the pop up and waited... and waited... and waited....

When the bread finally popped up, slightly warmer than before but equally white, most decided to give up. Those that didn't opted to put it in the rolling toaster, but given the first round had dried it out, this left them with toast looking more like a roof slate!

This hotel was adequate for what I needed (a bed for the night and some food in the morning) but it had ideas of grandeur well above its station. Not saying I'd never stay there again, but if I did, the one thing I would insist on would be a tour of my room with the manager BEFORE signing the damage waiver form.

Room Tip: If you want a decent view, avoid the basement!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at The Devoncove (23/07/2013 to 26/07/2013) with my partner and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. On arrival the receptionist on duty was very professional and pleasant ensuring that check in was hassle free and handled very quickly. The room (202) was bright and cheery and very clean,very comfortable beds with freshly laundered linens, bathroom was spotlessly clean and loved the fact that we had a bath tub as well as a shower- the towel warmer was a welcome addition. Our room faced onto Sauchiehall Street and was very quiet given the fact that it faced one of the main thoroughfares into the centre which made for a relaxed nights sleep. The breakfast buffet on each morning was well presented and had good choices which set us up for the day, the staff on duty during breakfast were very pleasant and helpful paying particular attention to the continuous replenishment of items for the buffet thereby ensuring that food was served hot and not allowed to just sit there as is the case in some hotels.
The hotel is easily accessible by public transport with bus stops pretty much outside the hotel and also the airport bus 747 stops and picks up here also making it ideal for people who would need to take the bus to or from the airport,
This hotel proved to be excellent value for money, and given the cleanliness of the premises and the professionalism of the staff together with the quality of the food we will certainly be returning when next in Glasgow and would like to extend our best wishes to the staff who made this visit memorable.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed overnight at a weekend on a trip to Glasgow. Found that the hotel was centrally located and close to all amenities. Would say however, get there early to get a parking space as it fills up quite quickly. The room itself was spacious, and though a little outdated was clean. Facing the main street however, was very noisy. The hotel does not benefit from double or secondary glazing, so traffic and street noise from rowdy crowds was almost unbearable. Went out on a night out, when I came back, had a drink in the bar before going to bed. Night porter was mopping floor outside the lifts, I apologised about walking across the floor, but got a mouthful of abuse from him in mixed Polish and Glaswegian. This had soured an overall good night and further degraded my experience at this hotel. Would I stay here again? With a little money spent on windows and décor, and some serious staff training for the very rude night porter.... yes, but until then, not a chance!

Room Tip: Chose a rear facing room, they may be quieter, or maybe a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gazod

Travellers are raving about these Glasgow hotels

tidytotty
Reviewed 21 July 2013

my partner and myself have recently stayed here for one night as we were attending the car show at the secc. when we arrived we noticed that the reception and bar was all one area. As for the rooms well i was really disappointed. the bed did not have a fitted sheet it was just some cheap mattress protector with a sheet on top. quilt was of poor quality and very thin. the bathroom i actually refused to use as the wooden bath panel was badly broken at one corner and the seal round the bath was mouldy. They provide shampoo condition etc in a dispenser on the bathroom wall which was empty of conditioner and very old and grubby looking. Breakfast wasn't up to much either it was self service for everything. not much of a selection of cereals and items for cooked breakfast. certainly not worth the money!

1 Thank tidytotty
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed in hotel for 2 nights very nice and very pleasant staff. From first booking in to arranging taxis and providing great service - breakfast and anything else needed.

Would definitely stay again when through that area.

Only downside to hotel was the bar was pricey and no draught beer, but plenty others in the area only minutes walk away